·
Administrator
20,866 Posts
$25K!!!

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jason, I guess you get what you pay for. I said the same when I saw the numbers. but I have to say it is pretty slick.

Reactions: BigJim55 and Levi

·
Administrator
20,866 Posts
Jason, I guess you get what you pay for. I said the same when I saw the numbers. but I have to say it is pretty slick.
I agree on the statement of you getting what you paid for, just not in many people's budgets. They are slick.:good2:

·
Premium Member
14,896 Posts
Slick but at 25K , guess OK for those that could use them !

Reactions: Levi

·
Premium Member
7,816 Posts
If they work the way I think they do, do you have to have the truck in reverse to go forward? :think: :dunno::dunno:

·
Administrator
20,866 Posts
If they work the way I think they do, do you have to have the truck in reverse to go forward? :think: :dunno::dunno:
Watch the video I posted. Nope. I still haven't wrapped my head around how they do that. It's not readily apparent or on the web anywhere I can find. :think:

·
Registered
892 Posts
I have heard its a belt the truck drives on with a gearset switching rotation back to normal front and rear of tire where the drive sprockets would be.

Jim

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Pretty slick! I'm no mechanic...........but IIRC not all 4 wheels spin when locked in 4X4...........right? If so............how do the tracks turn in powdery snow if the wheels aren't? Someone please enlighten me. :unknown:

Reactions: Levi and Gizmo2

·
Administrator
20,866 Posts
Pretty slick! I'm no mechanic...........but IIRC not all 4 wheels spin when locked in 4X4...........right? If so............how do the tracks turn in powdery snow if the wheels aren't? Someone please enlighten me. :unknown:
A 4x4 with open differentials can spin a tire on each axle if that tire has little to no traction while the opposite tire will not turn due to the fact it has traction. These tracks won't change how the vehicles 4x4 works, but it will vastly increase the surface area each wheel has in contact with the ground. With that much surface area, it'd be much harder to slip a single track compared to just wheels. With locked or limited slip diffs, slippage would even further diminished if not eliminated.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
A 4x4 with open differentials can spin a tire on each axle if that tire has little to no traction while the opposite tire will not turn due to the fact it has traction. These tracks won't change how the vehicles 4x4 works, but it will vastly increase the surface area each wheel has in contact with the ground. With that much surface area, it'd be much harder to slip a single track compared to just wheels. With locked or limited slip diffs, slippage would even further diminished if not eliminated.

I had to read it twice. :hide: So you're saying all 4 wheels will turn all the time? Sorry.......I'm a dumba$$.

·
Administrator
20,866 Posts
I had to read it twice. :hide: So you're saying all 4 wheels will turn all the time?
Yes. In a typical 4x4 all wheels are powered when 4 wheel drive is selected, like your tractor. But have you ever had just one rear tire spin on you? When you engage the diff lock, both rear wheels spin together regardless of traction conditions each wheel has. When 4x4 is selected on your tractor, both front and rear axles now receive power to turn the wheels. But if one wheel on that particular axle spins due to ice, mud, etc, the other wheel stays still and the wheel with little traction spins using up all the driving force. On your tractor when you have it 4x4 and one of the rear wheels spin, the front will still pull you along. But if you operated your tractor long enough, you've probably already been is a situation where a front tire spins and a rear tire spins. Engaging the diff lock will give you essentially 3 wheels powered regardless of traction to pull your tractor out of that situation. Even with the rear diff locked and the tractor in 4x4, one of the front tires could still spin while the other front stays still.

Confused yet?

Here's a video explaining how a differential works. This is essential to know why a wheel can spin even when in 4x4 mode.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Here are the specs. As Jason noted you would be better to have the ability to lock the front and rear differential on the vehicle.

http://trucktracks.com/en/technical-info/vehicle-requirements/

Vehicle Requirements

All 4×4 pickup trucks and some 4×4 Large SUV’s** that meet the following requirements:

• Automatic transmission with low range 4L
  • Automatic differential lock (or limiter slip diff.) on rear axle
  • Winter tires with regular soft compound (all seasons tires and mud tires works but not recommended)
  • Important: Use tires without studs
  • Outside tire diameter required: 31 to 35 inches (780 to 875 mm)
  • Tire width: up to 13 inches (330 mm)
  • Remove full length running boards from the vehicle
  • Engine: V-8 with 5 liters and up for full sized pickup truck and Large SUV’s also V6 for mid-sized pickup truck and Off-road SUV’s
** For SUV’s, see the restricted list of compatible vehicles with TrackNgo: Large SUV compatibility list

Recommended optional equipment:

• Front differential locker (for optimal performance in deep snow)
  • Heavy duty cooling system (to reach higher speed in deep snow)

Reactions: sterling40man

·
Registered
754 Posts
DANG DANE County wasting my tax Dollars!

I bet the DOT ends up scrapping them in a couple years, with them never having been used!

I drove 100 miles from 2:30 to 5:00 PM in that snow storm the county exec sited and other than two state snow plows stuck on I-94, I had no problems with my 4wd pickup.

I hate Wisc-TV.... Bet I don't watch that station two hours per week. Worst news/weather in the area, and the ratings confirm that fact.

·
Registered
12,066 Posts
Parking the F150, using the Subaru.:thumbup1gif::lol:
Let me know when you park it. I will come get it. We don't want the warranty to go out on time instead of mileage.:laugh:

Reactions: Gizmo2

·
Registered
618 Posts
Those are actually a steal compared to MatTracks. Many FD are looking at this product for emergency rescue, but after talking with company life span was a concern and so was speed. If I remember correctly they recommend 4x4 Low Range use only.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts