Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a 6420 i am starting have some problems after 20 minutes on it runs smoothly then it starts shaking like its not firing proberly i take off Clean Filters and it runs perfect but after i go work in the field and i come back it let it run for 10 minutes on and it will start shaking and 1500 hours you guys can suggest me what to do.Because i changed the air sensor already i still need to reset the computer.
The Tractor is 2003.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
There are at least three difeerent fuel systems that were used on the 6420. That makes it difficult to pinpoint a problem if type of system is not known. How many fuel filters do you ave? Is it a rotary injection pump or high pressure common rail? With any of the systems it is best to start with the basics. Replace fuel filters and air filters. Replace rubber fuel lines since they tend to leak and can allow air into the fuel system. The fuel transfer pump could be weak. Depending on the fuel system, it might be inn the tank or inside the left frame rail below the injection pump.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I already changed the Fuel Pump under the left side of the Chas also my system is 2 filters, on both filters i added a water bowl, i put new filters still does the same thing i changed the filter already
Last time it marked me a elemental diesel Heater it turned the light and it doesnt have one.I am little confused to do i am about to get a scanner because its a Electrical Tractor.The Fuel pump is Electrical.Only thing i need change is Rubber hoses but it look in good shape it has 1500 hours also has Turbo Inter cooler.Sounds to me its grabbing air from somewhere elso.Do you know how to find out where the air gets in the Fuel Line or chemical spray to see it?

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
When you installed new electric fuel pump, did you also get a kit that included extra fuel lines and fittings? It is very important to install exactly as instructed or too much pressure is delivered to fuel injection pump. This can cause engine to run rough and/or knock. It can also cause permanent damage to injection pump. Part number for conversion kit is AL171434. If you need instructions, I attached a copy.

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Sensor

Hey guys
You guys know what this sensor job is on the injection pump?
Here is the Part #
RE521822 (FUEL TEMPERATURE SENSOR) Item #1
Is this temperature sensor used for heating the diesel or whats the job it really do?
I also attached a picture of the pump and thats part #.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
That is the fuel temperature sensor. It sends a signal to the engine control unit so the fuel delivery is correct for the fuel temperature. The fuel density changes with temperature, therefore the controller adjusts fuel delivery. Be sure to check the nuts securing part#5. If they come loose, it can cause rough running or shutting off problems.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, the problem this tractor has is you start it and it starts smooth, then when you start running up to 1500RPM,you wait 5 minutes or 7 minutes the most, then it will start shaking, but it don't shut down by self,sometimes it shows the light of the of that sensor.Could that sensor be causing the problem or is the injection pump, because its electric, i guess this sensor heats up the diesel to a certain temperature.When you run it for 1500RPM the diesel will start running faster to the pump and its not heating the diesel, so that could cause the problem, thats why it shakes.

·
Premium Member
311 Posts
Nelson, I see that there has been no action on this thread in a few days. Have you resolved your problem?

·
Registered
12 Posts
question; does it smooth out when u back down on the throttle or do u need to shut it down and re-start it? Had a similar prob once on a 6400, it's picking up a piece of trash to restrict an injector and will stay there until the rail pressure is relieved when u shut down only to pick it up again after u re-start
flan

·
Premium Member
311 Posts
Injection pump or electric transfer pump? Injection pump is driven off of cam gear on 4045 engine. That transfer pump is a pretty common failure.

Sent from Kev's EVO.

·
Registered
6 Posts
6420 runs rough

My relatives who live next door are having trouble with their 6420 and they've asked me to ask for help on the internet as a last gasp.

The tractor idles smoothly but shakes and skips like crazy once you get off of idle. They've had several JD mechanics work on it and have tried a new injector pump and nothing has helped.

There is one 'smoking gun' I'd like to get some help on so that I know what I am checking. There is a connector with two wires that plugs into the back of the injector pump. What does this connection do? Is it the fuel cutoff? If so, what voltage should be in each wire? The reason I ask is that the tractor apparently worked well for awhile when they attached a small (tiny) bungee cord to the connector to hold it on extra tightly.

If you can, please let me know what that is and what the appropriate voltages should be on the wires.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
311 Posts
You probably have a high resistance connection at that plug. There is a repair kit for that connector. I'm not at my computer, so I can't give you a part number. I'll bet one of the guys will have it, shortly. It's not a common repair, but we are starting to see it a little more often. It sure makes the tractor vibrate. We have one in the shop, right now.

sent from my cell via tapatalk

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
Boy, I am out of my element on this one, but i will try and take a stab at this. I think this is what Kevin is talking about. :unknown: Hopefully someone that knows more than I can confirm.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Randy;

Thanks for the JPG but I don't think that is the right injector pump. The on the tractor has a cylindrical part that the two wires connect to. I'm going to try and find a picture on the net but I really don't know where to start.

How do I access the picture like you posted?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
I'm going to try and find a picture on the net but I really don't know where to start.

How do I access the picture like you posted?

Thanks
Sorry, I didn't think I would get it right, just a guess.

That picture came directly from John Deere's website parts section. You'll have to register to use it, but it has invaluable info.

Kenny has done a very nice tutoral on how to use JDParts. Here is his link.

http://picasaweb.google.com/kdeckster/JDPartsTutorial#

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
At the risk of a strike two, here is another stab. Sorry guys, just trying to help. Kinda flying blind on this one. :mocking:

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
OK, I got intot he JD parts catalog and looked at all of the injector pump drawings and I did not see one like the one on the tractor. Now, I am going on memory, when I get a chance I'll go take a picture and post it for you to see.

WHere on this tractor, it has a cab, do I find ALL of the model information so that I will know I am looking at the parts list for the correct tractor?

Thanks again;

Frustrated

1 - 20 of 24 Posts