Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Imagine my surprise today when I was mowing along with my 3046R cabbed tractor, hit a bump, came to a immediate stop and the tractor was dead dead dead. I shut the key, the PTO and anything else that needed to be off, off. Turned the key back on and nothing. NOTHING! Neighbor came and towed me back to the shed. I found a wire that was pulled loose from somewhere that was also plugged into wires from the front of the tractor somewhere. Can't find any wires that would connect to what was tore apart. The tractor air does work, lights and maybe a couple other small items, but mostly nothing. When the key is turned on the dash does not do anything. What in the wide world of sports happened?

The title should read tractor died. Fat fingers.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
i dont own a 3046r

but if i did i would start at fuse box....blown fuses would indicate any shorts

then i would check battery wires from battery to terminating connections

3rd stop would be at the key switch itself

I assume you have done a visual inspection of any exposed wires and connections allready

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
All of those have been done. A couple things do work such as the lights and fan for the air conditioning. But most of it is dead.

·
Registered
6,074 Posts
General guesses

I don't own a 3046 so these are general guesses. If the tractor died, something cut off power to the fuel pump or opened the fuel cut off switch. It could be the connection itself or one of the safety switches is rigged to require power through the switch for fuel to flow. All of that wiring should have been cabled and secured but sometimes stuff doesn't get done correctly. I'd check and see if you have power to the fuel pump, fuel cut off solenoid etc. and then try to work backwards.

A wiring diagram will save you a lot of time if you have one.

Treefarmer

Reactions: etcallhome

·
Registered
633 Posts
I found a wire that was pulled loose from somewhere that was also plugged into wires from the front of the tractor somewhere. Can't find any wires that would connect to what was tore apart.

The tractor air does work, lights and maybe a couple other small items, but mostly nothing. When the key is turned on the dash does not do anything.
Have you been able to identify the loose wire you found? It sounds key to me at this point. I would check the area it connects for other wires overstressed or actually disconnected, and the associated connectors. Check fuses on those circuits too if you haven't already. If the wire was part of a bundle those wires should be checked very closely.

Does anything on the dash show power? Process of elimination for things that work and things that don't can help you narrow it down. A simple 12v tester can be used to discover a lot. A good wiring diagram would be super helpful.

This jiggled an old learning experience for me. Someone had slid some working rack mount equipment across the carpeted floor and suddenly it didn't work when reinstalled. It was a bugger to find as the slide had torn a wire off cleanly at both ends. Looking for a broken wire was standard but there was nothing to see at that point.

Happy hunting!

·
Administrator
18,793 Posts
A pictures of said "wires to somewhere" would be helpful.

PS: I edited the thread title.

·
Registered
390 Posts
All of those have been done. A couple things do work such as the lights and fan for the air conditioning. But most of it is dead.
Those is the same items that powered in the ACC position. Sounds like power is not not getting to the MAIN relay.

Jeff

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for fixing the title.

When I can get a picture uploaded I will. I was hoping someone had experienced something similar. It was a long shot. Neighbor is coming over this afternoon and we are going to see if we can figure out where the wires go. We looked yesterday, but there wasn't any ripped apart wires anyplace that we could see. Hopefully we will have some luck. I will let you know. Thanks for all of the replies.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
If you have a loose wire with an exposed end hanging loose, I would be looking at any multi-pin plugs within reach of that wire, as it very likely pulled out of the backside of a plug harness. They’re usually just crimped into place in a metal male or female connector inside a plastic plug coupler. You’ll want to check plugs for any spot where you have a wire going in one side, but no associated wire on the other side.

Definitely pictures will help, but like others said that wire can be no coincidence that the tractor suddenly died.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well it's fixed. Yesterday when fuses were checked outside we were unable to find any bad fuses. Today we went back and looked again and found that there was a blown fuse. 15 amp ignition fuse. The light was better in the garage and we were able to see easier them outside yesterday. Replaced it and it works fine. We were never able to find where the torn wires went to so that mystery continues. I'm going to stop at the JD store and look at one of the tractors there and talk to service. Thanks for all of the replies.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Well it's fixed. Yesterday when fuses were checked outside we were unable to find any bad fuses. Today we went back and looked again and found that there was a blown fuse. 15 amp ignition fuse. The light was better in the garage and we were able to see easier them outside yesterday. Replaced it and it works fine. We were never able to find where the torn wires went to so that mystery continues. I'm going to stop at the JD store and look at one of the tractors there and talk to service. Thanks for all of the replies.

would probably be a wise thing to look at the wiring diagram and see what is directly on the fuse and do some searching....probably the bump cause a pinched wire...or pulled wire that then shorted to pop the fuse....likely to happen again at a inopportune moment if you dont find the cause

thank you for the followup post good to know for others

good luck sir

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Of course, now you need to worry about what caused the fuse to blow in the first place. Probably related somehow to the loose wire you found.

Good luck! Wiring issues can be maddening to track down.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Thanks for fixing the title.

When I can get a picture uploaded I will. I was hoping someone had experienced something similar. It was a long shot. Neighbor is coming over this afternoon and we are going to see if we can figure out where the wires go. We looked yesterday, but there wasn't any ripped apart wires anyplace that we could see. Hopefully we will have some luck. I will let you know. Thanks for all of the replies.
Glad you got it fixed. I was going to guess at a loose wire.

Reactions: JD4044M

·
Registered
161 Posts
Did ya ever figure where that wire goes?

Reactions: JD4044M

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
:munch:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Follow the fault finding chart

For electrical issues start at the supply point (battery) and work outwards following the wires.
Use a circuit tester.
When you find a dead wire follow it up until you are sure its not too blame.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have not found the wires and it is the craziest thing. Anywhere the wires would reach there is nothing for them to go too. Nothing. When I get the chance I will go talk to the service department where I bought it. The plug on the wires I have does have a part number so that should give us a good place to start. Meanwhile it is still working fine.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts