Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
canada
:cry:
:banghead: just put my first hour on my new Bambi and scratched the hood any idea how to fix it it’s down to the black plastic / polymer any one else admit doing it would just buffering it out with rubbing compound and touch up paint :banghead::banghead::banghead:

·
Registered
275 Posts
Pssst... its a tractor. Its Made to do work and get dirty always. Lol. Mines all kinds scratched from pushing trees and brush over.
LOL

- but on a serious not if mine was a few days old and i gouged the hood pretty bad i’d be pissed too. Maybe just some touch up paint and your good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,708 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,443 Posts
Why that is easy. It is a small Deere.

Dave
:laugh:

Yes, but "small" is a relative term. My 1025 is small compared to your 4066, and I consider your 4066 small compared to a 9 series.

:laugh:

·
Old Pa-pa
11,151 Posts
canada
:cry:
:banghead: just put my first hour on my new Bambi and scratched the hood any idea how to fix it it’s down to the black plastic / polymer any one else admit doing it would just buffering it out with rubbing compound and touch up paint :banghead::banghead::banghead:
Probably a pic of scratch would help determine best course of action.

·
Premium Member
10,403 Posts
It’s my new 1025r
If it’s cut in deep enough to be into the black there really isn’t much you can do with the plastic. You can apply some touch up paint to hide the black but the gouge will still be there.

It’s only the first one that is painful.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Secure a bottle or can of touch up paint from your JD dealer or a local automotive paint distributor, some thinner, a sword stripping brush, a piece of 1000 and 2000 grit sand paper. You will also need rubbing compound and a very fine polishing compound.

Clean the area with wax and grease remover or alcohol, then touch up the scratch. After it has thoroughly dried, wrap a small block of wood with a piece of 1000 grit sandpaper, sand the touched up scratch, being careful to not sand the surrounding area any more than necessary. Repeat using 2000 grit, then compound and polish. Baring a complete refinish, this is probably the best it will look.

Or, leave it be. It's a tractor. I understand, but the next scratch doesn't hurt so bad. :drama:

·
Registered
704 Posts
Secure a bottle or can of touch up paint from your JD dealer or a local automotive paint distributor, some thinner, a sword stripping brush, a piece of 1000 and 2000 grit sand paper. You will also need rubbing compound and a very fine polishing compound.

Clean the area with wax and grease remover or alcohol, then touch up the scratch. After it has thoroughly dried, wrap a small block of wood with a piece of 1000 grit sandpaper, sand the touched up scratch, being careful to not sand the surrounding area any more than necessary. Repeat using 2000 grit, then compound and polish. Baring a complete refinish, this is probably the best it will look.

Or, leave it be. It's a tractor. I understand, but the next scratch doesn't hurt so bad. :drama:
Good review...but to me that amount of effort would feel like polishing a hammer.

eta: alternatively, the OP could just buy a new hood.....$289.62 https://www.amazon.com/John-Deere-Original-Equipment-LVU21690/dp/B00NP3BA6C

·
Registered
2,172 Posts

Good review...but to me that amount of effort would feel like polishing a hammer.

eta: alternatively, the OP could just buy a new hood.....$289.62 https://www.amazon.com/John-Deere-Original-Equipment-LVU21690/dp/B00NP3BA6C
I was an automotive paint distributor for 40 years and yes it would be pricey, but nothing compaired to a new hood. :gizmo: That's why I added, or, leave it be. :thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
250 Posts
In the first few hours of using my 1025R, one our horses chewed on the hood, gouging the yellow racing stripe, bit off the plastic hood ornament, and pulled off the top of the High-Low knob. Bad horse.

... only the knob was fixed. I never bothered with the rest of it.

Grizzler

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
In the first few hours of using my 1025R, one our horses chewed on the hood, gouging the yellow racing stripe, bit off the plastic hood ornament, and pulled off the top of the High-Low knob. Bad horse.

... only the knob was fixed. I never bothered with the rest of it.

Grizzler
That's not funny, but I laughed my a$$ off. :lolol:

·
Premium Member
2,881 Posts
Yeah, I still have my first battle scars on the hood of my 1026, though not as deep as yours. It's a reminder to me to be careful in the trees. I still kinda kick myself when I think about it. Yeah, it's a tractor and now has a lot of scars, but it cost a bucket load of :gizmo: so it is not nice to see it gouged so early.

I think if you are down to the black with that scratch it won't matter what you do you will always see it, unless you are a real good body person to do the repair and paint the entire hood.

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
I have a spare, brand new hood in the box on the shelf as a "back up". I had an incident when my tractor was 6 months old which damaged my hood with a bunch of small nicks and the dealer ordered me a new hood under warranty. The first few days of the nicks in the hood were distressing, but now, they are kind of like my human body, the scars are a road map of it's history.......each one has a memory. Some not good, but they are part of its history..........:dunno:

I will make sure to keep my tractor away from the neighbors horses as I don't need them taking a bite out it.........:laugh::lol:

So, one day, I will put the new hood on my tractor and perform repairs on the current hood and put it in the box as a spare for either myself or someone who needs a "experienced hood".......

I would swear these hoods have gone way up in price. I am sure when I looked them up earlier, when I damaged mine in early 2018 and the hood was priced about $170........not nearly the $300 they are now.......Because I remember thinking how much of a better deal than it is for the hood on my 455, which is right at $350.....

There is a company called Flip Enterprises which sells through Amazon, I have bought from them before and the parts are identical and they carry many of the common parts which wear and break on the Jon Deere L&G machines and SCUTs......

https://www.amazon.com/stores/node/8133410011?_encoding=UTF8&field-lbr_brands_browse-bin=Flip Manufacturing&ref_=bl_dp_s_web_8133410011

·
Registered
704 Posts
There is a company called Flip Enterprises which sells through Amazon, I have bought from them before and the parts are identical and they carry many of the common parts which wear and break on the Jon Deere L&G machines and SCUTs......

https://www.amazon.com/stores/node/8133410011?_encoding=UTF8&field-lbr_brands_browse-bin=Flip Manufacturing&ref_=bl_dp_s_web_8133410011
A few years ago, I bought a hood/cowl from them to replace the hood on my trusty old LX277AWS. It fit perfectly, hinged exactly correct, and was a perfect color match. Now, about 4 years later, even though the thing is stored indoors, I note that that color of that hood has very noticeably faded to a kind of ugly blue-green. The other John Deere parts are still John Deere green.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Hope so cos the first scratch was after 1 hour of use !! Glad I never bought one of them orange ones the hood would have been demolished

1 - 18 of 18 Posts