Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When your tractor goes in for service work, will your John Deere dealer supply you with a loaner
tractor at no charge while your unit is layed up?

·
Administrator
20,471 Posts
My dealer has a sign posted on the door leading to the shop stating due to insurance regulations they can't loan equipment.:unknown:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My dealer has a sign posted on the door leading to the shop stating due to insurance regulations they can't loan equipment.:unknown:
Hmmmm I wonder why that wouldn't be the same as a demo ride, unless that isn't allowed either.
Either way insurance has to be a concern here.

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
Mine will for Ag but not normally for lawn stuff. If you really needed it, they will send you home with a used unit, but that would be a special situation.

·
Registered
375 Posts
If they did I sure wouldn't broadcast it on an internet forum. It probably would be in the repair bill some way.

The used pickup business is pretty sleazy when it comes to one owner. It can be on the dealers lot, get taken home by the employees, used by the owner to haul a big camper on vacation and it is still one owner. I would hope one owner at a deere dealer means what one would think it means. It isn't like you can car fax the hours when it got into the dealer's posession, at least not that know of.

I never asked how the farm insurance works for tractors on public roads. I know I have been on roads with totally no insurance.

"you" used for lack of better word below.

Oh you tore up your transmission jamming it in park before it stopped rolling and you want a loaner?

If you bought a used unit perhaps you should have discussed a no questions asked return period and loaner issues at that time.

fran

·
Premium Member
792 Posts
Wouldn't expect it for only a service... now if your buying a new $80,000 machine and need a loaner while the other is coming in, the dealer will be more willing to talk. But expect it to be a high hour used machine.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
The used pickup business is pretty sleazy when it comes to one owner. It can be on the dealers lot, get taken home by the employees, used by the owner to haul a big camper on vacation and it is still one owner. I would hope one owner at a deere dealer means what one would think it means. It isn't like you can car fax the hours when it got into the dealer's posession, at least not that know of.

fran
I agree with this^^^^^^^
I can vouche for what has occurred at one Kubota dealership. There was a nice sized Kubota with cab and one time I inquired about it. The dealer owner/manager wanted me to test drive it. It was advertised as new, but the owner had been taking it to his farm to plow and bale hay with. This was not something he just did one time. There were other machines on the lot that were for sale with the new price, but the owner was using them too at his place and bringing them back the following Monday.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
This question is slightly off-topic maybe, but how many hours would you expect to be on a new tractor when you took delivery? 0.1 hours? 0.5 hours? 1.0 hours????

·
Registered
554 Posts
This question is slightly off-topic maybe, but how many hours would you expect to be on a new tractor when you took delivery? 0.1 hours? 0.5 hours? 1.0 hours????
Here is the hour meter on the new X540 at time of delievery:unknown::drinks:
Jeff

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
I was able to Demo a 1026R from our dealer. It had 1.x hours on it. It was setup for me and sold to me so I ended up with the same machine. This was a smaller town dealer so maybe in the city it'd be different.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
I realize I never replied back. My 2520 had a little over 1 hour on it when it was delivered. There were no scratches or dust on the FEL or mower deck, and it looked to me like it had just been removed from the box and assembled. The dealer has a 2520 on their lot that I guess they use for demos, and I took a short drive with it when I was looking at the various models. That is not the tractor I received (it is still on their lot). Anyway, I was just wondering. As far as I can tell I am the first real "user" of my tractor.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If you broke down and needed service on your tractor with half your lawn cut, wouldn't it just show good customer
support from a dealer to give you a loaner until yours is repaired?

·
Registered
375 Posts
I will respond no it wouldn't just show that it would show a business model which included that service. In the hypothetical you have half a level rock free lawn to finish but the next guy has some employees and is mowing commercially. It may well be maintaining a fleet of loaner machines for the customers who understand the cost of the loaner fleet has to be rolled into something somewhere will be a successful business model. The first post asked about service, the last one was a break down, I guess service as well though I might call that repair. I don't think it is like an automotive mechanical shop giving a loaner in the morning for the customer to take to work and pick up theirs at 5 pm or so. The body shop ones are generally rentals from a dedicated rental agency and covered in the collision insurance. Just what I am familiar with.

I doubt it would be possible to make everyone happy doing something like this. Note elswhere on this forum I read about people bieng unequally treated leading to lifelong avoidance of a particular brand. Think about the dealer with the loaner to the landscape company and the part is on back order. I once saw a huge pile of chainsaws at a chainsaw shop after a hurricane. Even if he had a few loaners they would have been long gone. It isn't a tractor but I bought a Deere self propelled Kawasaki engined 21 inch lawn mower in 1993 or so and it has never been in for service. The 5000 series tractor I bought new in 2006 hasn't been in for service either, it is more the implements and attachments that need service but they haven't gone in to a dealer either.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts