Green Tractor Talk banner
181 - 200 of 216 Posts

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
Some things differ in different parts of the country. A round here most people in the construction industry start the work day at 6am. When I’m working for my self I typically hold off to 7am to start making noise. If my being productive offends the lazy type that thinks they need to sleep till noon that’s just too bad. There’s only so much daylight available, and I’d prefer not to be working past 8 pm anyway.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
We should have over 200 responses by the end of the day, ranging from "shoot her and bury her body" to "kill her with kindness."

After @VTTractorguy decides on the road to take, I hope he returns with a report. Unless he needs to use his fifth amendment rights.

And perhaps the neighbor is a nurse who works nights. Not everyone is on a farmer's sleeping schedule. Those who are not shouldn't be categorized as lazy.

·
Premium Member
2,148 Posts
If I worked nights, I wouldn't expect everyone else in the neighborhood to rearrange their lives to match with my own. I'd get better windows and insulation. So even if she works nights, that just makes her a wench that works nights.

·
Registered
New 4044R cab, MX6 Cutter, 440 FEL, Aftermarket mirrors
348 Posts
if you wanted to go out of your way to be nice you could let her know a few weeks in advance when you will be doing the driveway so that she can clear out for the day. Say something like, "this needs to be done so I'm letting you know in advance that weather permitting I'll be doing this so that you can plan to be away so the noise doesn't bother you." if she still pushes back after that then I'd ignore her.
Waaaaaaaaay nicer than she deserves, in my opinion.

The road should be maintained.

The "noise" is negligible.

The witch should have a house dropped on her.

(I am sooooo glad I don't share a road/driveway with others. I would be calling a friend with a backhoe for late nights services to bury her.)

·
Registered
New 4044R cab, MX6 Cutter, 440 FEL, Aftermarket mirrors
348 Posts
I don't disagree with the "neighborhood schedule" idea. Had something similar when we lived in Kansas. Small town life was nice. When we moved back home, the plan was to build on our property, far from neighbors. Hasn't worked out quite yet(15 years later). But we don't have a lot of neighbors now. One across the blacktop, 300 yards away, one to the west, 200 yards, one east, 400 yards. For the most part, we get along. But they are familiar with "Farm life" if not actually farmers themselves. (One to the East is, kinda.) Guess I just can't understand a person that'd complain when the neighbors are doing things to make their lives easier. I'd have issues with her quick. Then she'd be wanting to move...

Reactions: Levi

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #186 · (Edited)
Hi folks. Sorry for falling off the planet these past few days. I’ve been out of the office on business and working late.. I’m overwhelmed with all the great responses. Thanks to everyone for your thoughts and some very funny responses. Your comments have made my day and caused me to reflect on this situation carefully.

My wife, kids and I are easy people to get along with. I always try to take the highroad whether I’m dealing with people on a personal level or in business. I run my own business and have a lot of experience dealing with clients. The customer always comes first in my book. But this neighbor problem has been challenging.

Since we built this house 17 years ago, there’s been several situations with her that have led us to believe she has personal issues. We’ve tried to be friendly (my wife has made Christmas cookies, bread etc., which she delivers), but the lady doesn’t reciprocate. She just seems to be one of those angry people. So, at this point we are not of the mind to invite her for a cookout. Unless she does something egregious, we’ll just ignore her.

I’m sure many of you have seen the movie ‘To Kill a Mockingbird’ with Gregory Peck? Remember the scene when Atticus Finch is walking in the neighborhood with his kids and the crusty old lady sitting on her porch starts yelling at Scout?

To kill a Mockingbird miss Dubose scéne - YouTube

Atticus walks up to her and starts to compliment her on how wonderful her garden looks. The crusty old lady melts and completely changes her attitude. I’ve seen that movie many times since I was a kid. It taught me to always try to take the high road, whenever possible. Since this hasn’t crossed the ‘very nasty’ threshold yet, we’ll just ignore her. A lot of your comments have solidified that view. Thank you.

On the flip side, we get along great with the other neighbor who shares the same bottom section of the driveway. We always help one another when needed. His son works for a local landscaping company and when the driveway needs attention, he brings home a HUGE Kubota tractor (L-series I think) and does a rough grade of his driveway and the shared section. I then go at it with my 1025r and Box Blade to do the finish work. It turns out perfectly. I have no idea why Ms. Nasty has any issues. When heavy rain comes and the shared section develops ruts, I fix that with the 1025r. I’d happily grade hers, but not with that attitude. We’ll just stay clear and mind our own business. I’m not going to tell her when I grade my driveway, as I have no obligation to. But I’ll continue to do it during reasonable times… as I’ve been doing.

Here are some additional pictures you may find interesting. These (and the first ones) are from a post I put up a few years back, but it all looks the same.

After the plow guy has had his winter fun, this is what it looks like:

Natural landscape Road surface Fluvial landforms of streams Plant Geological phenomenon

Plant Road surface Natural landscape Asphalt Land lot

Road surface Tree Natural landscape Asphalt Wood

I use a power broom to re-claim the hardpack, then I grade.

Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Grass Vehicle Asphalt Machine Construction equipment

Plant Wheel Plant community Motor vehicle Vehicle

Plant Tree Natural landscape Road surface Asphalt

Plant Window Natural landscape Tree Land lot

I’d love to have a larger tractor, but the 1025r does fine.

Thanks again for all your comments. Let's have another 10 pages!

Best,

Stewart

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #187 ·
When I think about how much this tractor has saved me over the years... it's amazing. I'm guessing it would cost me at least $750 per grade, if I had to hire someone to haul in a tractor to do the work. At say 2.5x / yr. x $750 x 10 years... That's $18,750!! That's what the tractor cost me. Everything else I've done with it has been free! And I'm guessing the tractor has a market value of roughly $9,000. Not a bad investment. Better than today's stock market.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
When I think about how much this tractor has saved me over the years... it's amazing. I'm guessing it would cost me at least $750 per grade, if I had to hire someone to haul in a tractor to do the work. At say 2.5x / yr. x $750 x 10 years... That's $18,750!! That's what the tractor cost me. Everything else I've done with it has been free! And I'm guessing the tractor has a market value of roughly $9,000. Not a bad investment. Better than today's stock market.
Definitely a good investment for you. That tractor has a much higher market value than $9000 unless it has 1500 hours on it or something, you couldn't touch a used 1025r in that condition for that.

Reactions: Levi and rtgt

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
If I worked nights, I wouldn't expect everyone else in the neighborhood to rearrange their lives to match with my own. I'd get better windows and insulation. So even if she works nights, that just makes her a wench that works nights.
But not a lazy wench. That was my point. Folks who work night shifts are not automatically lazy sad sacks just because they are sleeping in the daytime.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #190 ·
No. Working nights is actually hard work. My wife is a nurse and worked 29 years in the intensive care nursery at Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center in Lebanon, NH. Quite a few of those years was working 12 hour night shifts (7:00pm - 7:00am). I can tell you... it was hard on her. She would constantly have to re-calibrate her body going from her days off sleeping at night back to nights and sleeping days. It's like having constant jet lag.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
It has about 650 hours and is in great shape. What do you think it is worth?
I haven't checked prices lately but I would guess closer to 15k.

Reactions: Levi

·
Premium Member
Early 2017 Vintage 1025R TLB (260/H120)
3,671 Posts
Wow! That would be incredible. I might have to consider stepping up to a bigger machine :cool:
Sadly they are even more expensive now. I Think I priced a VERY well equipped 2038R at >45k when I was done. mower, loader, BH, 3rd, 4th, 5th, etc.

·
Premium Member
2021 1025R Cab
186 Posts
No. Working nights is actually hard work. My wife is a nurse and worked 29 years in the intensive care nursery at Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center in Lebanon, NH. Quite a few of those years was working 12 hour night shifts (7:00pm - 7:00am). I can tell you... it was hard on her. She would constantly have to re-calibrate her body going from her days off sleeping at night back to nights and sleeping days. It's like having constant jet lag.
My last 10 years in practice were as an ER radiologist, on a team reading exams for ~15 hospitals, some rural up to tier 1 trauma center. Worked from 9 PM till 3-4AM. I retired 2.5 years ago, and my sleeping schedule is still screwed up. Can't get to sleep before 1AM, and sleep until 9 or 10 AM

·
Premium Member
6,353 Posts
I simply cannot imagine that a 1025 is even capable of making enough noise to disrupt sleep.
We sleep with TV on which drowns out other noises. She aught to try it.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #197 ·
I simply cannot imagine that a 1025 is even capable of making enough noise to disrupt sleep.
We sleep with TV on which drowns out other noises. She aught to try it.
And what's more, there is a fair amount of woods between her house and the driveway to deaden the sound. I really think she has some personal issues that plague her. It's nothing we are doing. Nevertheless, it's not pleasant when someone gives you grief for no reason.

·
Registered
165 Posts
And what's more, there is a fair amount of woods between her house and the driveway to deaden the sound. I really think she has some personal issues that plague her. It's nothing we are doing. Nevertheless, it's not pleasant when someone gives you grief for no reason.
I really do hope she finds the help she needs. Do you know if she has family? Is there a lot of activity at the home? Does your community or county have good mental health services?

You can PM me if you need any further assistance with this.

181 - 200 of 216 Posts