Green Tractor Talk banner
161 - 180 of 216 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi everyone. I have a 2013 1025r which I use on my 10.5 acres here in Vermont. My driveway is about 500’. I grade the driveway 2 – 3 times per year with a 48" Frontier box blade. It takes me 1 - 2 hours each time.

I have a not so nice neighbor, who has taken a strong dislike to my tractor. When I grade the driveway, she writes me nasty emails saying how the noise bothers her a lot.

View attachment 845526

View attachment 845527

In the above photo you can just barely see her house through the woods to the right of the pine trees.

View attachment 845528

It's pretty wooded up here, so I can't imagine it is THAT loud. But she acts like I am driving her out of house and home. She even went as far as to quote local town ordinances indicating commercial excavation equipment shall not be used during off-hours or Sundays. I doubt this tractor qualifies as ‘commercial excavation equipment.’ I don't grade during off hours, however; I may have done a Sunday here or there.

My questions are:
  • Do you folks have neighbors who give you a hard time about tractor noise? If so, how do you handle it?
  • Do you know if the 2013 model is any nosier than later models? I suspect what she is hearing is the box blade dragging as much as the tractor engine.
I want to be sensitive to her concerns but I'm not sure what to do. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks.

Stewart
Your neighbor needs to get a life.

·
Registered
2021 John Deere 1025R with three point i match and frontier grapple,bucket loader.
283 Posts
It should and if it did there would be no conflict.
I’ll try not to make excessive noise as I do so…? In my experience answering an email with sympathy will only get you more whining. You’ll then get a laundry list of other dos and don’ts along with her full medical portfolio.
“Hey sorry Mrs So n So. I’ll put a muffler on it” doesn’t work. Your letting your neighbor control when you do your stuff.
You guys are saying that we are all supposed to get along and everyone should be curtious to eachother and happy happy happy but the world is not made that way. We are not all the same. We all have different ticks and quirks and moods. Stay within your noise ordinance of your township or county and offer her ear muffs and tractor on. If she continues to whine then ignore her. When you got a minute maybe go see her and have a chat but don’t go out of your way to appease your neighbors. It’s your property. Not theirs. They shouldn’t dictate what goes on outside of their property lines. That’s the way the real cookie crumbles. Not a make believe Mr Rogers with sweaters and sneakers. You do you and DON’T answer any of those emails.
BEST ADVICE. WELL SAID. LEFT NO STONE UNTURNED. COVERED ALL THE BASES. COULDNT HAVE SAID IT BETTER MYSELF.

Reactions: rtgt and Levi

·
Registered
246 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,148 Posts
I haven't read all 9 pages of comments, but I'm sure it's all pretty much the same general thoughts. Just want to say it makes me happy that most of my neighbors have way bigger and louder tractors than I do. They all also have more, larger, and louder guns than me. I'm not sure I could actually make too much noise here if I tried.

·
Premium Member
9,226 Posts
I just hate control freaks. Had many friends and family that are that way. I reduced my friends list and my family size. Because of that reason the world has gone insane.
Yea mines the same way. My older sisters especially. Come to my house and boss me around. I gotta remind them whose house their in. They don’t like that at all

·
Registered
9,159 Posts
I haven't read all 9 pages of comments, but I'm sure it's all pretty much the same general thoughts. Just want to say it makes me happy that most of my neighbors have way bigger and louder tractors than I do. They all also have more, larger, and louder guns than me. I'm not sure I could actually make too much noise here if I tried.
With the tractor shortage, it's good that guns are still available. You need to get a bigger gun!

Reactions: EVT, rtgt and Levi

·
Premium Member
2020 1025R, 120R, 54D
3,987 Posts

·
Registered
New 4044R cab, MX6 Cutter, 440 FEL, Aftermarket mirrors
347 Posts
@Dr Maphesto maybe if you "show up with a weedeater, a live chicken, and some peach preserves" you two could have a big ol' time!
Just knock and say "It's me again, Margaret..."

Sorry. Channeling Ray Stevens today...

·
Premium Member
2,148 Posts
With the tractor shortage, it's good that guns are still available. You need to get a bigger gun!
Well I could take the suppressor off the 7.5" barrel AR. It becomes the loudest and most unpleasant firearm on the planet.

Hmm. Maybe the OP should borrow it. The old hag won't be complaining about the tractor anymore!

·
Registered
9,159 Posts
Well I could take the suppressor off the 7.5" barrel AR. It becomes the loudest and most unpleasant firearm on the planet.

Hmm. Maybe the OP should borrow it. The old hag won't be complaining about the tractor anymore!
I can believe that. I've shot a .222 in a Contender with a 10" barrel. Not as bad as it might be though.

Reactions: rtgt and Levi

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi everyone. I have a 2013 1025r which I use on my 10.5 acres here in Vermont. My driveway is about 500’. I grade the driveway 2 – 3 times per year with a 48" Frontier box blade. It takes me 1 - 2 hours each time.

I have a not so nice neighbor, who has taken a strong dislike to my tractor. When I grade the driveway, she writes me nasty emails saying how the noise bothers her a lot.

View attachment 845526

View attachment 845527

In the above photo you can just barely see her house through the woods to the right of the pine trees.

View attachment 845528

It's pretty wooded up here, so I can't imagine it is THAT loud. But she acts like I am driving her out of house and home. She even went as far as to quote local town ordinances indicating commercial excavation equipment shall not be used during off-hours or Sundays. I doubt this tractor qualifies as ‘commercial excavation equipment.’ I don't grade during off hours, however; I may have done a Sunday here or there.

My questions are:
  • Do you folks have neighbors who give you a hard time about tractor noise? If so, how do you handle it?
  • Do you know if the 2013 model is any nosier than later models? I suspect what she is hearing is the box blade dragging as much as the tractor engine.
I want to be sensitive to her concerns but I'm not sure what to do. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks.

Stewart
Offer to grade her driveway

·
Registered
12 Posts
if you wanted to go out of your way to be nice you could let her know a few weeks in advance when you will be doing the driveway so that she can clear out for the day. Say something like, "this needs to be done so I'm letting you know in advance that weather permitting I'll be doing this so that you can plan to be away so the noise doesn't bother you." if she still pushes back after that then I'd ignore her.

Reactions: Levi

·
Premium Member
9,226 Posts
if you wanted to go out of your way to be nice you could let her know a few weeks in advance when you will be doing the driveway so that she can clear out for the day. Say something like, "this needs to be done so I'm letting you know in advance that weather permitting I'll be doing this so that you can plan to be away so the noise doesn't bother you." if she still pushes back after that then I'd ignore her.
Neighbors and I have a long lasting group text going on a couple years now for occasions like this. I had a pretty bad tree mess I needed to clean up a couple winters ago I just let everyone know a week before I was closing the driveway on a certain date and everyone said thank you for letting us know etc. I even texted that morning a couple hrs before and a couple of them had to leave at this or that time and I waited for them to go. Turned out 2 of my neighbors showed up to help clear all the branches and such that I dropped and were a big help. I agree, sending out a schedule helps immensely. I do it at work and usually if someone’s got a problem, it gets worked out beforehand but mostly everyone’s on the same page when something big happens.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Are feilds are being developed around me. There are signs in the undeveloped feilds saying this is a working farm with noise. spray planes are the loudest but like a free air show with flavor if you get close enough.

My personal rules. M-Saturday noise allowed 7:30 am to 9:00 pm. Sunday 9:00 am to 5:00 pm. Allows neighbors to sleep in and have family dinner. Just a thought

161 - 180 of 216 Posts