Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A hail storm and possible tornado(s) are being forecast 031821 in central NC, so new Tacoma goes in the garage (to avoid hail damage) and tractor has to sit outside for a couple days. Anything sensitive on 1025R that requires special attention? I see pictures of tractors sitting outside covered with snow and always wonder if electrics/electronics are being compromised. Or am I being overly protective? It is a tractor after all.
PS A bigger shed is being built so this isn't a problem in the future.

Reactions: jdforever

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
All the electrical stuff - fuse panel and relays- are shielded from direct rain but not waterproof, The instrument cluster should be fine as well. As far as hail the plastic fenders and hood should be fine too. You could toss a small tarp over the area of the IC, steering wheel and fuse panel side cover if you are worried, but it would need some serious tie downs for high winds.

Like you said, it is a tractor. I used to live near the Deere assembly plant in Augusta, Georgia, and there were hundreds of new 1025R’s sitting in outdoor holding areas prior to being shipped to dealers, where most of them still sat outdoors until being sold.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Wrap it in a tarp to protect dashboard.

·
Registered
935 Posts
All I would worry about as far as hail is concerned is the instrument cluster. I would place something padded in that area or cut out some Masonite or plywood to fit in the cluster itself and then just use the normal cover after that. All the rest of the tractor is pretty much made of impact resistant plastic and should be of no concern.

Reactions: wildbranch2007

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Lots of good suggestions. Thanks. Now if a 'twister' doesn't land me in Oz tomorrow....

·
Registered
303 Posts
Park under a tree? May be out of the frying pan and into the fire though...

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Reactions: Jimmy Walker

·
Registered
830 Posts
I'd go to Harbor Fright and buy a few of their inexpensive moving blankets and ratchet straps.

Wrap up the tractor and then if possible cut some old plywood and strap over front and back as a "roof" since hail can destroy plastic really easily.

A man-made cocoon like that isn't expensive and can be thrown together in an hour or so. Just use lots of straps to keep wind out or you'll have a sail tractor :)

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Personally, I would be less concerned with the hail than what may come sailing on the high winds for an impact visit. I have wrapped mine in a tarp to keep out the little stuff and parked it down wind and near a solid building. I don't have near enough indoor space.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Personally, I would be less concerned with the hail than what may come sailing on the high winds for an impact visit. I have wrapped mine in a tarp to keep out the little stuff and parked it down wind and near a solid building. I don't have near enough indoor space.
Back in my friend's area there was a hail storm came through about 5 years ago with golf ball sized hail that destroyed thousands of cars - it was amazing to see mirrors completely busted off and front and rear bumpers destroyed. Things such as valance panels below front and rear SUV windows were broken to pieces. It looked like someone attacked the cars with a ball peen hammer!

I've never seen such a destructive hail storm. Lots of people got new roofs that year too!

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Back in my friend's area there was a hail storm came through about 5 years ago with golf ball sized hail that destroyed thousands of cars - it was amazing to see mirrors completely busted off and front and rear bumpers destroyed. Things such as valance panels below front and rear SUV windows were broken to pieces. It looked like someone attacked the cars with a ball peen hammer!

I've never seen such a destructive hail storm. Lots of people got new roofs that year too!
A severe hail storm is extremely damaging, but also extremely unlikely. High winds causing damage is much more likely to happen than hail damage.
Odds are nothing is going to happen to the tractor other than it gets wet. If something worse happens that’s why there is insurance. It’s not as if this is some rare one of a kind antique machine that has zero parts availability.

·
Registered
634 Posts
All the electrical stuff - fuse panel and relays- are shielded from direct rain but not waterproof, The instrument cluster should be fine as well. As far as hail the plastic fenders and hood should be fine too. You could toss a small tarp over the area of the IC, steering wheel and fuse panel side cover if you are worried, but it would need some serious tie downs for high winds.

Like you said, it is a tractor. I used to live near the Deere assembly plant in Augusta, Georgia, and there were hundreds of new 1025R’s sitting in outdoor holding areas prior to being shipped to dealers, where most of them still sat outdoors until being sold.
I remembered when I purchased my 2520 I told the salesman I wanted one that had not sat outside as I never let a tractor set outside. He just laughed.

·
Registered
13,355 Posts
I remembered when I purchased my 2520 I told the salesman I wanted one that had not sat outside as I never let a tractor set outside. He just laughed.
Yup, even if the dealer takes it in right off the truck it has sat outside at the factory for a while.

·
Registered
13,355 Posts
Between the Tacoma and the tractor - which ever has the better insurance and least deductible would be the one sitting outside.
I think the tractor would be covered under homeowners probably with new replacement value coverage.

The truck would be covered at used replacement value under either outdo or home policies.

Reactions: coaltrain
1 - 20 of 39 Posts