Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About a month ago my son Levi had a one page article about him in Farm and Ranch Living.

So today my wife gets home from work and asks me what I ordered Levi. I told him I didn’t order anything. She tells me there is an envelope here addressed to me Attn: Levi

Notice there isn’t any street or house number.

So she opened it up and here’s what was inside. A note from the sender.

A copy of his article.

And two calendars

It never ceases to amaze me how nice the people in this tractor and other groups (flying I’ve been invited to total strangers houses for a week when they aren’t even home) are. Here a simple article connected to people half a country and three generations apart.

We want to do something to return how special this made us feel. Heading to the PA Farm Show this weekend and hoping to find something regional to send him. I’m think g a copy of Lancaster Farming and maybe something else.

Anyway just wanted to share the nice story.

Here is what my wife wrote about it. (She’s the writer in the family) and this tractor people thing is kinda new to her.

Another reminder that this world is filled with good people. Today, there was a package in our mailbox (thanks Henny) for Levi, with no street address, just Newville, Penna. Figuring this was the typical Amazon purchase of Keith or Levi, I didn't think much of it and guessed that it was another tractor manual or something of that nature. Instead, it was a note from an 83-year-old Nebraskan native (who now lives in Oklahoma) who read Levi's article in Farm and Ranch magazine, and made a connection with him. Levi's story made him reminisce on his own life growing up using his Dad's 1927 Farmall Regular on the family farm. He reached out to Levi, wrote him the KINDEST note, and included two calendars from years passed that Levi absolutely loves. When Levi writes his thank you note to this gentleman, I will be certain to add my own--showing my appreciation for how his gesture not only made Levi's (and our) day, but how it served as a reminder for us to keep doing the little things, for they really do mean the most.

Also kudos to or local post office and our letter carrier. They knew just where this was meant to go. Notice it didn’t have a zip code originally either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
12,249 Posts
This is an awesome post. :good2::good2:

I'm actually at a loss for words, and that's not something that happens easily.

·
Premium Member
994 Posts
that is a great story :bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
436 Posts
That's fantastic!

When people start getting down on the younger generations, I always use this photo to show that not all is lost.

·
Registered
81 Posts
You know, sometimes we lose faith in humanity (based upon things going on today) then something like this come along and I guess it's God's way of encouraging us and showing that there are still good people in this world. Thanks for the article, very uplifting!

·
Premium Member
13,944 Posts
WOW Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
It's easy to lose faith in humanity. Yesterday, I was listening to the utter BS flying congressional circus antics and I was ready to write the human race off completely and today I'm reminded that simple and truly great people are still the majority. It is beyond words to read and relate to what you've shared. I've read most, if not all, of you and your son's journey over the last year and it is truly heart warming. Don't stop what you are doing. :hi:

·
Registered
11,233 Posts
One great story brings another. Reading the Pastor's letter made me fog up. He and Levi are generations apart but are living nearly the same childhood. It sure would be nice for them to meet in person - another great story.

·
Premium Member
7,558 Posts
One of the best stories I have read.

Absolutely wonderful.

One great story brings another. Reading the Pastor's letter made me fog up. He and Levi are generations apart but are living nearly the same childhood. It sure would be nice for them to meet in person - another great story.
I agree.

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
Sounds like a road trip is in order!! :good2:

=================

Great story, J3 - THANKS for sharing!!

You mentioned the flying community along with the tractor community. I've been involved in three major "hobbies" in my adult life - Jeeping/Offroading, flying small planes and, when we bought this place 8 years ago, I reawakened my love of tractors (I used to work for a Kubota dealer when I was in high school). The flying and tractor communities are a great group of people - most of them ready to reach out and lend a hand or a kind word or help with a repair whenever it's needed! If the whole world was like this, it would be a much better place.

I also appreciate you sharing all that you do about Levi! He's one heck of a kid with some pretty great people in his life to properly guide him. :good2:

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
35,680 Posts
About a month ago my son Levi had a one page article about him in Farm and Ranch Living.
Outstanding J3 Driver/Levi !! :thumbup1gif:
Heck, it makes me proud to think you and Levi are part of this forum and us members know (sort of) you two. :thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
7,916 Posts
Great story, thanks for sharing.......

My wife and I are big fans of hand written communications and also, reaching out to people to encourage them, congratulate them or even offer words of strength and encouragement during difficult times. In a world where we are often surrounded by bad news, political rancor and just overall nastiness, it's refreshing to be reminded of the good people and positive things which do happen.

This story about Levi is something very good for him to experience. Now, he knows that he too can make a contribution and also help to brighten someone's day, even if that person is completely unknown to him, simply by making the effort to share a kind word or encouraging story.

It's a special thing to touch people so personally to evoke a written response, such as Levi received. He is fortunate to have experienced this first hand and to know just how special it feels to share a small, personal part of yourself as the pastor did in his letter to Levi. In a lifetime of lessons to learn, this is a very important and valuable one which will serve him well.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
As a follow up here is what we are sending back to the gentleman that reached out to Levi.

Levi’s letter

Latest issue of the Lancaster farmer.

And the PA Farm Show Guide.

·
Registered
11,233 Posts
I know I have said this multiple times before, but you are raising a good young man J3. You and your wife should write a book about being parents.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
I know I have said this multiple times before, but you are raising a good young man J3. You and your wife should write a book about being parents.
Thanks.

When our son was first born our pediatrician (a really wonderful lady) told us to start telling him no from day one when he does something he’s not supposed to. We got a flack for telling a three month old no from family and friends. But to this day she was right. If we tell him no he knows to drop it. No arguing from him or anything.

We’re very lucky and fortunate that he is as good as he is. I hope that he stays this way. As parents we’ve done all we can do. As he gets older and is on his own I pray that he makes good decisions.

He doesn’t know this. But he will be set up well for life. As long as he continues to work and keep a level head he will never have a house payment.

My wife and I have made personal financial sacrifices so that he won’t have to. Don’t get me wrong my wife and I will be well off in retirement and life. Its just we have both put some of our dreams aside so he will have a better life.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts