Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
it was fun to see the trace when I mowed once... but its kludgy, doesnt keep data well, didnt accept my serial numbers correctly...
I think it was pretty useless. Im a total geek.. and i tossed it after a month

·
Premium Member
2017 1025R TLB - H120 - 260 - 60D
132 Posts
Easier? access to the parts manual(s) and a way to look up any trouble codes you may see on your dashboard.
View how to setup and operate the equipment (if you have any doubts); plus troubleshooting, safety info and look up compatible Deere/Frontier implements.
If you manually input your machine hours, it will tell you what maintenance items are due or when they are due next.

You can also add in your other Deere/Frontier implements to quickly see info about those, too.

You can also use the "Track Now" feature as BWV stated. With it, the app will use the time tracked (or manually input hours/work done) to estimate your next maintenance times. And, for those wanting to use their tractor to make money, it will let you see how long certain jobs (work) you've done take so you can possibly extrapolate that to estimate other jobs.

While the 1 Series does not have the ECU capabilities of 2+ Series machines, I do not consider all of this functionality useless.

Bonus: Once you input your equipment serial numbers, it's all in the palm of your hand. So, you don't need to run out to the barn to get the paperwork and search through it to find it when you need it.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It says "Parts Diagrams", then does not display a diagram, it asks for a part number. Good luck there.
It does make finding some info fairly easy, but without the bluetooth feature, it's not any better than the printed manual. I'm especially disappointed that the parts diagram isn't there. That makes identifying parts no better than the really poor interface on the Green Parts Store. If you don't already know the part number, you're out of luck.

Summary - no better than the printed manual.

·
Premium Member
2020 1025R, 120R, 54D
4,229 Posts
It says "Parts Diagrams", then does not display a diagram, it asks for a part number. Good luck there.
It does make finding some info fairly easy, but without the bluetooth feature, it's not any better than the printed manual. I'm especially disappointed that the parts diagram isn't there. That makes identifying parts no better than the really poor interface on the Green Parts Store. If you don't already know the part number, you're out of luck.

Summary - no better than the printed manual.
If you have equipment entered and select Parts it should take you to a page with available items. At least mine does...

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Maybe they made some improvements... And I do "only" have a 1-series, so there is no real interaction with the machine.
I gathered my info in(serial numbers, models for implements and tractors) tried to put them in and it didn't recognize any of them, I had to use the generic model that popped up as I typed the description.

I was an early adopter... I couldn't wait to get the app, I did give it a fair shake(many tries), but was disapointed.

I love gathering metrics, data logging, electronic manuals, and diag tools. I use them every time I find one. (geek...)

With the original version(assuming they've updated), when using the gps tracking to see your mowing pattern (or otherwise) you had to leave your phone on (display on) if you locked it or put it to sleep, it stopped tracking, and when you open it up after thinking it did what it was supposed to for a couple hours, it will have only collected data from when the display was on.

This app, for me, defined sub-standard, and I felt that they may not have actually used it before they released it.

I'll try it again now...Fingers crossed. I have a positive outlook after reading the above, and do want it to work.

It snowed today (it was 70 this week...) so, the 26 Austrees I was going to plant, are going to wait til freezing is less possible :)..frees up some time to re-install and enter my machine info

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
So... re-installed, and saw the old data there (Showed a pic of every implement as a 3 point hitch adapter... )
Deleted all the equipment manually, stopped the app, deleted the cache and app data, uninstalled, reinstalled, and the data was back.

I'm guessing this has some cloud based data and is web enabled. I assumed it was device based.

I'll play with it more.
Looks like last update was Oct 2020... That was before I ditched it. Maybe they've improved.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Yeah...nope...still not amazing.
Can't enter or edit equipment without hassle.
Barcode scanner doesn't work at all (Pixel 4a-5g..didnt work on my Pixel2xl either)
When adding serials it says my mower deck is pre-MY16, my DOM is 18.. and suggests I use "unrecognized pin" for my blower.
I entered info wrong on my back blade...wont apply changes when I edit it, and wont let me enter 2007 in service date.
There's more.. wont rant. Just sharing.
It did identify the new tractor this time (the 20 1023e)
Same problems as last time I used it. I'm guessing they didn't fix anything else either, so I'll check back in a few months.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have found, in the Parts diagram selection, that it will show a scrollable partial parts diagram on the bottom one inch of the screen. Totally unusable.

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
The difference, then, is Android vs iOS. On my iPhone, the bar code/serial # reader worked good. Parts diagram opens in an internal browser in the app (looks exactly like if you went to the Deere site in a browser).

Reactions: BWV

·
Registered
6,043 Posts
It works fine on my Android??????????

Dave

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
As a software engineer, who has been developing mobile apps for the last 8/9 yrs, I can say with certainty that there is a wide gap in usability between Android and iOS.

I preferred Android 9 years ago, thinking it was more “open” and “flexible” to tinkering. And while that is probably still true today, the stability, accuracy and usability that iOS provides is superior.

Android is out front with ingenuity, in a lot of cases, but when Apple decides to incorporate the same/similar features they usually do it in spectacular fashion. “It just works.”

edit- I should note that Android devices are much more fragmented when it comes to quality. Like most things, you get what you pay for. There are some great Android device platforms. As good or better than Apple even. But, there are some truly bad ones, too. It isn’t Android where the problem lies, it’s the device manufacturers messing up their platform. There are a lot of Android device manufacturers, so you need to figure out what’s best. That gives you options and the cost varies. Apple oversees all of their devices to make sure they work to their specs and what I see from that is better quality control.

·
Registered
6,043 Posts
I cannot disagree about the differences between Android phones. For example, My sweetie has a $75 Jitterbug for seniors and while it is perfect for her, it would never work for me even though I am also a senior. I have customized it to work even better for her. So, I have a Samsung Note 20, which I consider to be the best phone available, plus it comes with a built in stylus. I am on my fourth Samsung Note phone, all of which have been excellent phones. Most people who buy Android phones are either price conscious or looking for ability to customize, which apple does not allow. I am a retired computer guy and I refuse to work any more on apple products as it is just too difficult. I had a friend that had an apple phone and a mac computer. I gave up trying to fix her problems. She would usually have to visit the apple store every week or two to get her problems fixed. She called me last year wanting me to set up her new mac computer, but I had to beg off due to the virus problem. Close call. I just found out out she has since moved away. I don't know what she did about the new computer as I never heard anything more from her.

Here is an interesting read about 14 things on the new ios14 that Android already had. Every iOS 14 feature on your iPhone that Android had first. I have to hand it to apple though, on their marketing. Nobody does it better. Still wondering why it took apple so long to adopt wireless charging. My last 4 phones have never had a charging cable plugged into them. Might be 5, can't remember that far back.

Dave

Reactions: TractorEd

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
IOS - I Just discovered, that when I select parts diagram, I get an almost unusable screen, BUT - there is an icon in the upper right hand corner that looks like a circle with a compass needle in it. If I click on that icon it opens the parts diagram full screen. It would be nice if they told us these things. Oh well.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.