Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you have any security on your tractor, for instance, GPS tracking device, fuel cut-off switch?

I know that if the tractor get stolen in the property. Home insurance will cover it. However, you already invested time and money to improve it as you want. Then you have to look for another one and start all over again.

I just want to know what are your guys doing to protect it beside put it in garage, barn or storage.

Thanks,

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
We don't do anything. Everything is in buildings. That said we are starting to add video surveillance on the property. Doing other thing like what you mention would be beneficial if you leave a machine at places other than your home where Homeowner's insurance may not cover things. When at home there may be options to beef up security for all assets.

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
I know that if the tractor get stolen in the property. Home insurance will cover it.
Do you know this, or are you assuming this? Depending on your state of residence and specific policy, there may be limits of liability for property maintenance equipment. A $3000 garden tractor and a $50,000 CUT might be two different things in the eye of the underwriter. I purchased supplemental insurance for my 3039R from the JD dealer (about $500 for the length of the loan, 60 months) that covers theft, loss, damage, roll-over, etc.

As for protection, I've thought about a battery disconnect switch under the hood or somewhere inconspicuous as a basic step. I do have a home-built security system (using Blue Iris and PoE security cameras) and have one pointed at the tractor parking spot in case somebody decides to come visit when I'm away. All of these JD tractors take the same key, so a bad actor could just walk up, unlock the door, and drive away. The disconnect would at least thwart somebody in a hurry.

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
A lot of people have the JD coverage through the financing. However keep in mind that while this is great and not that expensive, if you paid cash, bought used private party or paid it off, this isn't likely an option.

I spoke to my insurance company a lot and asked about a separate rider. If you are the person that buys a new machine every couple years doing the financing option you probably don't need to worry about it that much and keep doing the JD insurance. When I spoke to my insurance company about this for instance I bought a Z950R and want to make sure it is covered. They asked what it was. I said a lawnmower. Oh sure that is covered under the part of the policy that covers all your assets from your sofa to tools. That is based on a % of the cost of the home. Ok well I think we need to bump up that %. Of course they were confused because hey it is just a lawnmower. Yes, technically it is just a lawn mower but it isn't a $500 push mower or even a $2000 Home Depot rider. As I explain it they start to understand. In the end on basic theft of just the machine, I would have been fine with normal coverage with my policy. Where I needed the additional coverage is in a total loss scenario. A tornado would be more of an issue than simple theft in my case. That is where I would blow way past those household items limit. So we upped it from 25% of the home value to 50%. Cost was minimal and it covers machines that are not financed. My X585 is a 2002 and was never financed so that isn't an option. Just have a plan for later down the road. If that is to trade it in on a new one that is financed again that is fine. If you are keeping it long term, then maybe do the JD option for the first few years but have a plan for once it is paid off.

The other problem with insurance discussions is that it differs so much from policy to policy, state to state and company to company.

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
I do have a home-built security system (using Blue Iris and PoE security cameras) and have one pointed at the tractor parking spot in case somebody decides to come visit when I'm away.
Not trying to derail this too much but how do you like Blue Iris? I have a Synology Disk Station and have only two cameras at this point so Surveillance Station is free. I am getting close to expanding coverage with more POE cameras and will be at a point where I either expand Synology licensing or go BI. I am thinking of trying to use the Synology for the back end storage and I have plenty of old PCs laying around to run BI. As I said I have 2 cameras now and will expand to 4 for sure maybe up to 6.

Reactions: Rogero246

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
I know that if the tractor get stolen in the property. Home insurance will cover it. However, you already invested time and money to improve it as you want. Then you have to look for another one and start all over again.
Look at the bright side though. You can learn from the mistakes. Maybe you should have gone one step higher or lower in machine size. With more experience you have a better idea on what works and what doesn't. Starting over isn't always a bad thing. Granted timing can make it rough. For instance mid winter and you live in the snow belt and the replacement machine has to be ordered and it will be 6 months. That delay if it is something a dealer doesn't stock would be a bigger concern.

Also look at replacement value vs asset value. People get bit with that one on Homeowner's policies.

Reactions: Rogero246

·
Registered
26 Posts
I live in the country and know my neighbors. If someone starts loading up any of my stuff I’ll get a call. While I was having my new tractor shed built and waiting for the concrete to set I left all of my tractors outside. No one bothered them.
If I lived somewhere else I’d probably talk to my insurance agent about their being stolen. They are covered by homeowners against damages.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I currently have 8 IP video surveillance to monitor my house and storage. I can monitor from my cellphone and get alerts with motion sensors and night vision. I am thinking to get GPS tracking device as my Ford truck that I will get alerts when it is out of its home base.

My insurance is Allstate. I asked them to put the Z997R and 2038R in the policy. I also took pictures how I park them. I also sent them a copy of the invoice of the tractors so they know how much they costed.

If you are in the retirement, you cannot effort to buy new equipment over and over again. I just try to keep they as long as I can. If something breaks, I can fix it. If it get stolen, I hope insurance can steps in.

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
It does say that it uses 3G cellular network. So there might be a sim card fee.

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
I take the key out ? I guess I could leave the slow black key in so it only runs slower making it longer for them to get away

And keep it is locked in my shed. I have a separate rider with some other things on it so they listed the tractor and attachments also.

Reactions: Toughsox

·
Registered
776 Posts
I take my key out, and the shed it's in isn't visible from the road. I've got replacement cost insurance, if it gets ripped off and isn't recovered, I get a new whatever replaced it in the market. Personally, though, I'd rather have it than the new version.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
get good insurance if it worries you..........only way to stop a proffesional thief is sitting on the seat with a shotgun in hand........most non-proffesional thieves are looking for a quick fix and will steal your battery...or fuel...or other nussance items they can sell quick and will tear up a lot to get a 30$ scrap value battery...

·
Registered
185 Posts
My tractor is in my locked pole barn with security lights. We also have a couple of guard dogs. I live in the country with a 1/4 mile lane as well so it would take a lot for someone to come back to my house without anyone noticing.

·
Premium Member
2,574 Posts
We have signs saying "Warning Working K9 dog and video surveillance". Tractor is locked in my shop. It would take a thief with giant kahoonas or plain stupidity to proceed. One of our working shepherds stays outside in a kennel in between our house and shop, he'll let us know if someone is prowling. If he does, I'll let out Denali, my fur missile, she stays in the house. She is also a working Shepherd that loves bite work.

Reactions: BigJim55 and Kbar

·
Registered
5,865 Posts
Good question to ask as equipment theft is a major issue across the country. A lot of it ends up outside the country. I guess as a percentage of the total equipment in the US, the theft percentage is much lower than car theft but if it's MY tractor it's a major issue.

That being said, my tractor is normally on our farm a long way off the road. It's tough to know if my brother is home but if he is, I feel pretty sure a thief would never make it out of the driveway. Not to mention, when any of the tractors start up the cows come running so they are a bovine alert system. If I move the tractor elsewhere, it's parked in a spot out of view, key out, implements down and probably behind a locked gate. It's also insured on a rider because I do trailer it and wanted coverage for both damage to the tractor and additional liability coverage.

Treefarmer

Reactions: Big

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Not sure about this, but there should be an ignition fuse you could pull if a guy wanted to sleep better

·
Registered
404 Posts
My property is in a remote corner with a gated entrance. I had a shed break in back in 88 but no other trouble. That was long before opening up the property and installing gates. I have security cameras but I need to get a new battery and put them back in place. I also have a wyzecam on the front porch but I rarely look at what it records. It would be very difficult to get in and out undetected and very risky since we are retired and home most of the time. Thieves tend to scope out their hits to determine risk.

My Farm Bureau home owners insurance does NOT cover my tractors. They say they would pay for my lawn mower. My policy has a country squire rider that reads like it would offer some protection but my agent disagrees. They will provide a separate policy but it would have to be a separate fee for each and every piece of equipment depending on value.

Reactions: BigJim55
1 - 20 of 26 Posts