Green Tractor Talk banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Older tractors can be left in gear and some can even be left with the PTO engaged so they wont start even with the key.
To bad the new ones tell you to take out of gear.

·
Registered
5,897 Posts
My property is in a remote corner with a gated entrance. I had a shed break in back in 88 but no other trouble. That was long before opening up the property and installing gates. I have security cameras but I need to get a new battery and put them back in place. I also have a wyzecam on the front porch but I rarely look at what it records. It would be very difficult to get in and out undetected and very risky since we are retired and home most of the time. Thieves tend to scope out their hits to determine risk.

My Farm Bureau home owners insurance does NOT cover my tractors. They say they would pay for my lawn mower. My policy has a country squire rider that reads like it would offer some protection but my agent disagrees. They will provide a separate policy but it would have to be a separate fee for each and every piece of equipment depending on value.
Check and see if you can qualify for a farmowner's policy. If so, it's a lot more flexible for equipment. The other alternative is a inland marine policy. I'd be really surprised if you can't go one way or the other at a reasonable cost. I'd also verify what your agent is saying by contacting either the field underwriting or claims department and ask the question about what is and is not covered. The agent should have verified his/her answer but sometimes they think they know the correct answer.

Treefarmer

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Registered
21 Posts
Motion sensor cameras are very great and handy. Mainly aim the camera towards your tractor or whatever you want security. And a tracking gps will also help if you don't have sensor cameras.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I bought my JD4500 way back in 2000, when we were building the house. The tractor paid for itself doing the backfill/grading/etc work. I was initially worried about theft so bought a 20 foot, 5/8 inch security cable and big padlock. The cable was looped through the rims to prevent unauthorized drive offs. Of course this would not stop a professional thief. A three foot bolt cutter would snip that cable like it was a Twizzler. Hell, the tractor might have had the power the just snap it... Insurance would have covered it but what a pain that would be. No one touched the tractor and life was good.

My motto, there is no way to stop a professional thief besides physical presence. You can only stop the opportunistic thief, the one that moves on when finding a locked door. That goes for cars. trucks, and houses. If they really want to steal it, they will get it. Sucks but that's reality.

Back in 2000, a security video monitoring system was expensive and bulky. Today, much different situation. One can get tiny, outdoor video systems that last weeks on battery power and can even upload the video to the cloud. Easy to hide too. You can also get inexpensive GPS tracking systems, professional contractors use them on their expensive equipment. Rental companies too. Again, this will not stop a professional/determined thief but at least you have some hope to track down the culprit.

·
Premium Member
2,008 Posts
Our neighborhood is not gated, but only one way in and out.
Many gun enthusiasts live here.
Not easy pickin for a theif, with a higher than average risk of harm if caught.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Not sure about this, but there should be an ignition fuse you could pull if a guy wanted to sleep better
Removing two fuses is exactly what I do, it would be up to a thief to figure out which two, after they gained entrance to my garage,

Brian

21 - 26 of 26 Posts