Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 140 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was browsing through older photos and realized I have quite a few "trailer shots". My current car hauler is an American Hauler aluminum 20' tandem axle 10,000 gvrw hauling a payload of approximately $8,400 lbs. I seem to burn through trailers as I always end up wanting bigger. For one reason or another, I never seem to learn my lesson. Anyways, here's some pictures of my trailer with various pick-ups and deliveries and a few that have been delivered to me.

I came home this week to see a boo-boo on my fender. Turns out my "assistant" didn't heed the advice to swing it wide! :lol:

I do recommend American Hauler trailers. I like the rear storage for the ramps behind the right side rear fender and they offer both HD deck tie downs and stake pockets along the side as well as a rub rail. Additionally, they provide space to mount a spare tire horizontally on the tongue. I'd still like some rear jack stands, a storage box, drive-over fenders, among other things, but I'm sure I'll upgrade soon enough.

You may see an enclosed trailer as well. That is 6" higher than standard so I can fit whatever can go in a "standard" height garage in this trailer. Still 10,000 gvrw, but the trailer weighs close to 4,000 lbs so payload is capped at around 6,000.

Attachments

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
still more...

Attachments

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I got a flat tire in the first 60 miles of driving my enclosed trailer. Also, the front, left side panel came untucked from the trim and started flapping in the wind on the maiden voyage. For my troubles, the dealer/manufacturer provided me a $250 cash rebate.

I've had one flat tire on my Load E tires on my open car hauler in approximately 12,000 miles.

Never had a flat on any of my previous trailers, but have had brake issues on almost every trailer I've owned except these most recent two.

Light issues? Don't get me started. :banghead:

·
Registered
11,764 Posts
:bigthumb: nice pics of all ur tractor and trailers. but.....where in the world do u find so many used tractors at?

do u attend lots of auctions, ?:unknown:u must be doing things right-so i'm happy. i wished we had such a person around here that done this.:munch:

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
:bigthumb: nice pics of all ur tractor and trailers. but.....where in the world do u find so many used tractors at?

do u attend lots of auctions, ?:unknown:u must be doing things right-so i'm happy. i wished we had such a person around here that done this.:munch:
I really shy away from auctions and only go to one if I just can't find the right tractor to fill a gap in my lineup. I can only remember ever buying five tractors on auction. I do get them from far and wide though.

·
Registered
837 Posts
You have some great trailers. I had a custom made American Hauler enclosed trailer made back in 2007. I've put over 300,000 miles on it with no problems other than the occasional flat tire and tearing off a fender after running over a recap that had come loose from a tractor-trailer rig ahead of me one night. I pulled off to the side of the highway and looked for the fender but never did find it. Must have sailed off into the woods. :hide:

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You have some great trailers. I had a custom made American Hauler enclosed trailer made back in 2007. I've put over 300,000 miles on it with no problems other than the occasional flat tire and tearing off a fender after running over a recap that had come loose from a tractor-trailer rig ahead of me one night. I pulled off to the side of the highway and looked for the fender but never did find it. Must have sailed off into the woods. :hide:
Yeah, I really like my American Hauler. If I had more space, I'd discuss being a dealer for them. I've been to their factory too, everyone was very friendly. Same with the customer service team.

I've gotta get a bigger trailer this year. I need to be able to haul three at a time. I should probably go with a gooseneck, but could get by with a bumper pull. It'll be somewhere in the 30-36' range.

I'm sure the majority says go with gooseneck???

·
Registered
21,541 Posts
Yeah, I really like my American Hauler. If I had more space, I'd discuss being a dealer for them. I've been to their factory too, everyone was very friendly. Same with the customer service team.

I've gotta get a bigger trailer this year. I need to be able to haul three at a time. I should probably go with a gooseneck, but could get by with a bumper pull. It'll be somewhere in the 30-36' range.

I'm sure the majority says go with gooseneck???
It depends on what you are pulling it with. With a 5th wheel trailer you have to look at your actual loaded hitch weight. With a bumper pull you can install a weight distributing hitch to spread the hitch weight into the truck. With a 5th wheel you have the dead weight.

With that said I would rather pull a 5th wheel any day - they just pull and track so much better.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It depends on what you are pulling it with. With a 5th wheel trailer you have to look at your actual loaded hitch weight. With a bumper pull you can install a weight distributing hitch to spread the hitch weight into the truck. With a 5th wheel you have the dead weight.

With that said I would rather pull a 5th wheel any day - they just pull and track so much better.
That would help. It is a 2017 Ford F250 Crew Cab PowerStroke.

Honestly, I use my truck bed a lot and feel like the 5th wheel mount would just be a real inconvenience to have in the way. Maybe I should buy a second truck, lol!

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
That would help. It is a 2017 Ford F250 Crew Cab PowerStroke.

Honestly, I use my truck bed a lot and feel like the 5th wheel mount would just be a real inconvenience to have in the way. Maybe I should buy a second truck, lol!
Yep, I'd say go gooseneck. Then again, I'm one that wants all my trailers to be a goose/5th wheel, like CT said, they just pull and track so much better. I'm still looking for that sweet deal on a ~24' gooseneck car trailer...

With a gooseneck, all you have is the ball in the box, get a B&W turnover ball, then you can remove or flip the ball and have a flat box again. :thumbup1gif:
Most flatbed trailers are gooseneck, not 5th wheel. Generally 5th wheel are only seen on campers, unless the hitch has been converted by the owner.

As for loading the front, with a F250, I'd say throw in some airbags, that will help correct the loaded angle and put some weight back on the front of the pickup. You can get the wireless onboard setups so you can adjust on the go as needed for different loads.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
With a gooseneck, all you have is the ball in the box, get a B&W turnover ball, then you can remove or flip the ball and have a flat box again. :thumbup1gif:
Most flatbed trailers are gooseneck, not 5th wheel. Generally 5th wheel are only seen on campers, unless the hitch has been converted by the owner.
Shows what I know. I didn't realize there was a difference. I looked it up and that doesn't seem nearly as bad as I thought it would be.

·
Registered
21,541 Posts
Yep, I'd say go gooseneck. Then again, I'm one that wants all my trailers to be a goose/5th wheel, like CT said, they just pull and track so much better. I'm still looking for that sweet deal on a ~24' gooseneck car trailer...

As for loading the front, with a F250, I'd say throw in some airbags, that will help correct the loaded angle and put some weight back on the front of the pickup. You can get the wireless onboard setups so you can adjust on the go as needed for different loads.
I guess I have missed something all these years. What is the difference between a goose neck and a fifth wheel? They both pivot in the center of the bed.

·
Administrator
17,323 Posts
I guess I have missed something all these years. What is the difference between a goose neck and a fifth wheel? They both pivot in the center of the bed.

Truck setup for gooseneck:
download.jpg

Truck setup for 5th wheel:
download (1).jpg

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
I see the difference but the theory is still the same as far as pulling a trailer.

Thanks!
Overall theory is the same. Gooseneck provides a lot more rotational movement.
Most 5th wheel plates (part in the pickup) have minimal to no side to side movement, so if your trailer drops one side into a ditch, all the flex is in the frame since the hitch is solid.
That's why I have the Andersen Ultimate 5th wheel hitch for my camper. Don't have to worry about camper hitch/frame not being designed for the forces from a gooseneck adapter, but still get the flexibility of a ball hitch. Oh, and it's about half the weight.

Attachments

·
Registered
21,541 Posts
Overall theory is the same. Gooseneck provides a lot more rotational movement.
Most 5th wheel plates (part in the pickup) have minimal to no side to side movement, so if your trailer drops one side into a ditch, all the flex is in the frame since the hitch is solid.
That's why I have the Andersen Ultimate 5th wheel hitch for my camper. Don't have to worry about camper hitch/frame not being designed for the forces from a gooseneck adapter, but still get the flexibility of a ball hitch. Oh, and it's about half the weight.
Good points! All I am familiar with are 5th wheels on big trucks. So I call any type of trailer that pulls like that a 5th wheel. But now I know the difference between a 5th wheel and a goose neck.

Your point of being on eneven ground is a good one. I’ve alread lost traction in my drive tires from a twist going into certain driveways. I can really see the advantage to a goose neck type hitch now for smaller trucks.

1 - 20 of 140 Posts