Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been a lurker for a long time. I have a 2015 3033r and have been pretty satisfied. I would like a little more lift when moving gravel. Can fill bucket but would ideally like easier operation. I have 40 acres, hilly with lots of down trees to deal with. Also do snow removal and general road work. Considering going to 3046r, adding a backhoe, top n tilt and 3rd scv for grapple. 0% 84 months makes payment difference about $100. Do not really want to go to 4044, adds about 5k and I think i would like the nimble 3046r. i think I can make the backhoe work for about 85% of what a small excavator would used for. Probably rent a medium Excavator once a year.

Is there a noticeable power difference?
Backhoe worth it?
Happy with 3046r?
Am i crazy to make this move?

Thanks for all the help, would appreciate any input, including ridicule.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
8,044 Posts
I don't think you're going to gain any additional lift capacity moving up from a 3033R to a 3046R. They both use the same loader. If lift capacity is your primary concern then I'd recommend against the 3046R.

I'd recommend a 4 or 5 series with a mechanical self-leveling loader and 485A backhoe which would be a significant upgrade but then again....... :gizmo:

https://www.deere.com/en/loaders/loader_compatibility/

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Your lift will be the same, despite the horsepower. The only thing you are going to gain is the ability to run larger implements. For example, a larger brush hog or mower. Maybe the ability to pull a larger box blade or rear blade, maybe. That’s depends a lot on the weight of the tractor also. I definitely think that 100 dollars more a month for just a horsepower increase would be wasted. Go with a larger tractor or stay put.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
:wgtt:

Northwest ..where..??....Idaho or Montanna is way different than OR or WA

I'm in the camp of skip the BH...thats a big chunk towards a mini/mid size excavater.

If you think you need a bigger tractor get one...buying HP in the same frame/series 3 will be disappointing.

Go 4 series and turbo. Cab may be way better money spent than BH depending on location.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Once you use a 4 Series for an hour,, you will leave the 3 Series quickly,,
The 4 will be much more stable doing the loader work,,

I would get the 4 Series, but, no backhoe,,,
A 4 Series without a backhoe will be MUCH more agile than a 3 Series with a backhoe,
Eliminating the backhoe should get the 4 Series pricing close to the 3 Series with the backhoe,
rent the excavator,,

·
Registered
183 Posts
I have same tractor in a 2018 with 43 - 16.00 - 20 R4's. I have top and tilt and all hydraulics available including Power Beyond, 320R loader, Heavy 6' bucket and I run Rimguard with 750# on the heavy

hitch. It will pick up a heaping full bucket of gravel and it does fine.

When I bought mine a year ago I went with the 33R as lift capacity is identical, weight of tractor is identical and I did not need more PTO power.

Do I wish I went 4 series, maybe but everything gets higher priced including attachments as the tractor is wider.

Only thing I would do different is get a backhoe. We got big rocks to dig...

Backhoes are a Luxury on these unless you are using it for a business. I make payments on the tractor @ zero percent. On a backhoe it's hard for me to justify.

Good luck on your choice.

·
Premium Member
9,120 Posts
I have been a lurker for a long time. I have a 2015 3033r and have been pretty satisfied. I would like a little more lift when moving gravel. Can fill bucket but would ideally like easier operation. I have 40 acres, hilly with lots of down trees to deal with. Also do snow removal and general road work. Considering going to 3046r, adding a backhoe, top n tilt and 3rd scv for grapple. 0% 84 months makes payment difference about $100. Do not really want to go to 4044, adds about 5k and I think i would like the nimble 3046r. i think I can make the backhoe work for about 85% of what a small excavator would used for. Probably rent a medium Excavator once a year.

Is there a noticeable power difference?
Backhoe worth it?
Happy with 3046r?
Am i crazy to make this move?

Thanks for all the help, would appreciate any input, including ridicule.

Thanks
What loader do you currently have? H160 or H165? I would compare the spec's of your loader to the new 320 loader that the 3 series now uses. It is possible that you might gain some capacity. I have the H160 on my 3039R and can fill & lift a full bucket load no problem.

Which loader bucket do you have? I am using a 61" bucket.

I don't understand the comment "Can fill bucket but would ideally like easier operation." Please explain.

The FEL performance will be the same for the 33, 39 & 46. The HP difference will show up on PTO driven implements and as power to move heavier loads on your hills. If the 33 is doing fine power wise in those respects, then you are not going to see any benefit buying more HP. You could lower your payment some if you don't need to spend the money on the 46.

I sounds like you want to add the 3rd SCV and a backhoe. I can understand the trade and 0% financing to upgrade to a backhoe. I have the 375A backhoe and it works really well. You can also get the 385A for the 3R series and it has a little more reach and more capacity. In my experience, the 375A works very well on the 3 series. I would want a heavier framed tractor for the 385A backhoe.

If you have lots of trees to clear, you'll love having a grapple.

What other implements do you have? Going to the 4 series may also require wider implements such as grader blades, box blades, rotary cutters, etc. Same with the snow removal equipment.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Here is Deere's FEL specsheet: Loaders | Front End Loaders | John Deere US

I will chime in on the 3 -> 4 series
going up in 3 series may get you a tiny amount of lift, but if you lose 8" of height as well.
4 series lifts from 18-28" higher and has DOUBLE the carrying/lifting capability (One of the main reason I got a 4 instead of a 3)

485A backhoe is close to 11,000 option. You can find a used mini for less (Albeit not at 0% interest)

·
Registered
3,264 Posts
I don't think you're going to gain any additional lift capacity moving up from a 3033R to a 3046R. They both use the same loader. If lift capacity is your primary concern then I'd recommend against the 3046R.

I'd recommend a 4 or 5 series with a mechanical self-leveling loader and 485A backhoe which would be a significant upgrade but then again....... :gizmo:

https://www.deere.com/en/loaders/loader_compatibility/
I haven't seen that comparison page for the FELs before. Thanks.

I agree with the others, evaluate what your needs are. If it is more lifting capability you need to go up a series rather than up an engine. As they say time is money. It will cost more to go up a series or take smaller bites and use more time.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I sounds like you want to add the 3rd SCV and a backhoe. I can understand the trade and 0% financing to upgrade to a backhoe. I have the 375A backhoe and it works really well. You can also get the 385A for the 3R series and it has a little more reach and more capacity. In my experience, the 375A works very well on the 3 series. I would want a heavier framed tractor for the 385A backhoe.
OP did not state whether he has a cab or is going to get one if he trades?

So, I will address the quote first. The 375A and 385A backhoes will both fit on the open station 3R series. The 375A is the only backhoe that can be installed on a 3R with a cab.

Now to OP. If you were thinking of getting a cab or that was part of the motivation to trade, get the 3046R; A/C compressor eats up a bit of HP, you'll want the extra HP if you have a cab.

Jeff

·
Registered
143 Posts
I agree with other's that it would be smarter to step up a series to the 4's, rather than make a lateral move to a higher HP 3 series. You really don't gain anything at all with a lateral move to a 3046r, other than adding the backhoe and possibly the loader if you have the smaller one on your 3033r. Even then I don't think it's worth it. If feel you have jobs to justify the backhoe than I would go with getting the backhoe. Others have suggested the excavator to me as well, however the excavator is one more engine/machine to maintain, store, and manage. The backhoe is just an attachment, and while yes it'll be slower and possibly weaker than the excavator, it will work just fine. I would rather have one machine to maintain and store rather then two. Plus an excavator is only good for one thing, digging.

Where are you getting 0% for 84 months? I only see 0% for 60 on Deere's website.

Rick

·
Registered
182 Posts
Where are you getting 0% for 84 months? I only see 0% for 60 on Deere's website.

Rick
When I bought my tractor 0% for 60 was offered on the website, but 0% for 72 and 84 were available with "Dealer Participation" I didn't need or want it, so I never asked, but I would imagine you will pay real close to advertised prices as the dealer will have to give up something on the back end.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts