Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, after reading about the new bh and fel I decided that I would look into trading my 2013 1025r. I talked to the local salesman yesterday. He quoted me an out the door price of ~$22k with tax for a 2017 1025r with bh, fel and 54" deck with mechanical lift. He came and looked at my tractor today. Has 265 hours, 54" deck, fel and is in perfect condition other than normal wear and tear on the bucket. The trade in price the evaluator gave him was $8650. He double checked with the evaluator because he thought it should be closer to $10k. But the evaluator said because of the incentives on the new one takes away from the trade in price. So in other words, really no incentives unless you are buying out right.

Do those figures sound about right? I appreciate any opinions any of you have.

Thanks,
Matt

·
Premium Member
1,459 Posts
I don't have any input on that, but you should keep in mind that the new backhoe isn't out yet, and neither is the "mid 2017" 1025r. The current 1025r will have the same backhoe as the one you would have gotten with yours.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
I would private sell your tractor....and I think 22k for tractor set up like that is a good price....:bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
2,735 Posts
Take your time there is no need to rush. You can always get a new one at that same deal. If you need more out of yours try and sell it outright I think you could sell it for what you want. For the dealer he makes his money on used gear the cheaper he is in your used unit the more room for him. One of the problems of the endless 0% is it kills the used market. Why buy a used one when the new ones have 0% and a 6 year warranty. Good luck. :good2:

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
I would private sell your tractor....and I think 22k for tractor set up like that is a good price....:bigthumb:
Does the seller ever "win" by trading something in to a dealer ? Trading in is a convenience for the customer, not usually a sound business deal. And as others above have said above, a lot of the "cash" incentives get thrown out the window when bringing a trade into the deal.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Quote is low, I got 11,5 for a 2013 1023e with 60" mmm and h120 fel. 276 hours for trade in. Sight unseen.

1023e was used hard and never washed, stored in garage, dealer knew auto-connect was damaged.

3025e
Spend a couple of days cleaning it up, touch up the paint, taking really good pics- many. Make sure everything works and it is serviced.
Post it up for sale. There are buyers out there!

·
Premium Member
972 Posts
Does the seller ever "win" by trading something in to a dealer ? Trading in is a convenience for the customer, not usually a sound business deal. And as others above have said above, a lot of the "cash" incentives get thrown out the window when bringing a trade into the deal.
The only real advantage of a trade in being it tractor or car, that in states with tax (like my 6% in PA.) you subtract the trade in say 9000 from 22000 and the tax is cut by that amount...$1320 vs 780 a difference of $540. So weigh that against a price you can get on your own. It is still more likely that the OP gets a better deal selling on own...but the tax is the advantage of the trade in. That and convenience.

·
Premium Member
1,128 Posts
22K sounds like a fair deal , but trade-in value seems a bit low . As other members have said , consider selling privately . Good Luck !!!:cheers:

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Talk about a low-ball on the trade-in... they'd give you 8650 and then put it on the lot for $13k.... sell it outright.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks everyone for the replies. I will have to think about some more. Just not sure if I can justify the cost just to get a backhoe. I don't think I will use it enough.

The market around here is pretty low for used scuts. There have been a couple on Craigslist that are in pretty decent shape, around the $10-12k point that have been on there for a while.

Again, thank you everyone.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ya, I know. I purchased it used with 211 hours on it in March for a reasonable price. I was hoping they would give me a better trade in price that would make it comparable to purchasing just the backhoe that with setup and everything they quoted me around $6300. Then would have a new tractor, new warranty and so on. But, it just isn't close enough. At the time I purchased mine I didn't think I would ever have a need for the backhoe but, I find myself wishing I did have it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Last fall I wanted to trade my 2305 tlb with belly mower in. It was in excellent shape with 295 hrs. The big dealership used the evaluator you mentioned and wanted to give me 11500 in trade on a 2025r equipped the same way. I went to the last mom and pop deere dealer and got 17000 in trade. On top of that when he made an error on the quote he increased my trade to cover the mistake. Don't overlook trying another dealer if it's something you really want to do.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I agree with the others, put it on craigslist and see what happens. you've got nothing to lose, they'll still have 1025r's when you're ready. I sold mine in AR. this spring for 13,500 same as your's with 325 hours. Good luck

·
Premium Member
1,459 Posts
I think this idea we have that tractors, particularly SCUTs, hold their value well is slowly becoming wrong. With 84 month 0 percent financing, who would buy a used machine when you can have a TLB for 250 a month? Or a TL for 200 a month? Zero percent financing is JD giving away money. Money today is worth more than money tomorrow. It's why banks give you interest on your account (or used to, now it's a joke).

Even if you're a cash buyer who doesn't like financing, spending your savings instead of JD's is not smart. Take the money you were going to spend, put it in a safe mutual fund, and after 84 months, the tractor will have cost you thousands less.

It's going to get to the point where either JD runs out of free money or only people with bad credit will buy used machines. Unless they're really used and dirt cheap.

·
Premium Member
1,459 Posts
It's not free money - Deere Financial is profitable. The interest is just hidden in the price of the machine.
The price is only marginally less if you pay cash. They gave me 3,000 off the tractor. I just didn't get the 500 or whatever it was at the time in bonus. The 1025r was 11 something something, plus implements. The only thing you lose, unless you don't haggle or they don't give your their best price up front the way my dealer does, is whatever factory incentives JD is offering. And you only lose that if you go with 84 months at 0 percent instead of 60 months at 0 percent.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Just using scenario above, I believe that the "Free Money" is the trade-in money.

$22,000 OTD at 0%, $8,500trade in and then sell for $13,000 which puts $4,500 in JD's pocket.

$22,000 at 5% for 84 months amortized would be about $3,700 in JD's pocket that they had to take 84 installment payments on and wait 7 years to realize. The consumer ultimately pays $25,700 for the same tractor.

Business is business. They'll take money now vs. money later any day. And as previously mentioned, they really don't have to worry about a used free market competition because of what they can offer.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts