Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw one of the JD sales managers this morning at the farmers market. He asked how I was liking my 1025r. I got it in November and only have about 80 hrs on it so far but like it a lot. I told him unfortunately I whacked a turn signal on a tree and need to move them inside the ROPS. I also said I was thinking of getting a back hoe. His eyes lit up and he said DONT DO IT, bring it in and we can trade it for a new TLB for less than the cost of the hoe. He said they have a shortage of low hr used machines. Now Im thinking I may. Is there any reason NOT to? Have there been any changes? I thought I read that there have not been. I kind of like the one I have but new is always nice as long as its not a downgrade. I MIGHT even consider skipping the mower deck and putting the the money toward a ZT or even an old ST38. My regular lawn is really only 3/4 acre. Did they make any changes to the [email protected]#** ROPS this year or is it the same? I hadent really thought of trading after less than a year but its fun to think about!

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
he said DONT DO IT, bring it in and we can trade it for a new TLB for less than the cost of the hoe.
He said they have a shortage of low hr used machines.
If you believe that,, I have a bridge in Brooklyn that is for sale,, :good2:
add a toll to the bridge I sell you,, and the TLB cost will soon be paid for,, :yahoo:

Somebody is gonna loose money on a used machine,, it HAS to be,,, :flag_of_truce:
What do you want to bet it will not be the dealer,, ?? :dunno:

·
Registered
601 Posts
I saw one of the JD sales managers this morning at the farmers market. He asked how I was liking my 1025r. I got it in November and only have about 80 hrs on it so far but like it a lot. I told him unfortunately I whacked a turn signal on a tree and need to move them inside the ROPS. I also said I was thinking of getting a back hoe. His eyes lit up and he said DONT DO IT, bring it in and we can trade it for a new TLB for less than the cost of the hoe. He said they have a shortage of low hr used machines. Now Im thinking I may. Is there any reason NOT to? Have there been any changes? I thought I read that there have not been. I kind of like the one I have but new is always nice as long as its not a downgrade. I MIGHT even consider skipping the mower deck and putting the the money toward a ZT or even an old ST38. My regular lawn is really only 3/4 acre. Did they make any changes to the [email protected]#** ROPS this year or is it the same? I hadent really thought of trading after less than a year but its fun to think about!
If your 1025r is only a year old I doubt any changes have been made since then. Doesn't cost anything to get a trade in quote. If you can break even over buying just the backhoe then why not?

Edit: Don't forget to factor in the cost of installation of a backhoe on your old tractor if any, into that equation.

·
Registered
56 Posts
The quote for the trade in doesn't cost anything but time. If your dealer is serious about low hour machines he might be willing to give you a fair trade in price. I believe all the changes to the 1025R were made in the 2018 model year so the 2019 should be exactly the same as yours. The MSRP for the 2019 1025R is around $25,000 but nobody pays that. There are normally incentives or rebates plus the dealer will come down a little. How much is up to the dealer. Some are better than others. A decent one will be around 15% off. If the difference between the new TLB and yours is less than the price of the Backhoe installed on yours than go for it. Just get them to give you both quotes in writing with all taxes and fees included. (One for the 2019 with the 2018 trade and one for the installation of the backhoe installed on your 2018.)

Good luck and let us know how it works out.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was able to get 17% off when I bought it last fall but it was after the year end incentives. He mentioned that there are some good discounts now, coming up on the year end again, so I might gain there too. The manager I talked to today said if the salesman cant make it happen, to contact him and he will work on it. I may stop over Monday and at least see how close he can get. Their price on the back hoe including set up is $6500. I guess even if all they did was swap for $6500, Im still ahead

·
Registered
848 Posts
What he was saying is that if you get a dealer installed bh you will be paying for the install at dealer rate plus parts which is costly. By trading for an FITBH you save all the dealer costs which i think are around $2,000. The savings could compensate for most of the loss on your old new tractor. I priced them out last year and it was a big additional cost for the dealer install.
Check for yourself at the build your own at the JD site.

·
Registered
11,900 Posts
If you believe that,, I have a bridge in Brooklyn that is for sale,, :good2:
add a toll to the bridge I sell you,, and the TLB cost will soon be paid for,, :yahoo:

Somebody is gonna loose money on a used machine,, it HAS to be,,, :flag_of_truce:
What do you want to bet it will not be the dealer,, ?? :dunno:
I'll buy that bridge from you, then close it so all them idiots can't escape. :laugh:

Everything else you said it spot on.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Like your post and I put "puffing" as my response as a lot of lip service is given but when you see the bottom line you visit reality. I've had over 60 years working on and owning John Deere equipment. Currently have a 2014 1025R with the backhoe. I've put several posts on here. I prefer the older units and this unit was acquired with a direct trade or barter from a John Deere dealer. John Deere dealers currently do not promote used equipment and if anything they hide it on their back lot. There's very little if any incentive for their commissioned salesman to even discuss such. I can say the 1025R is a flagship little unit, however the public is trying to get it to do a multitude of functions. I removed all the rattling cradle and 60D from mine as I don't care for the "noise" plus not interested in a belly mower when I want to use the backhoe. It's a bad compromise in my opinion so I removed and added some additional features to the setup. Now marketing from Deere has them selling the newer models with the cheaper seats which now prohibit the operator from using the backhoe from the tractor seat. The deluxe rotating seat was the proper setup...there was just a weak point on the linkage which was easily corrected. But anyway selling less for more is a marketing strategy and a lot buy into this. It took me a month or so checking all around the area to find the trade deal. Having said that I would suggest looking into the Goodworks tractors as they have the nicer late models from the Ohio dealer area. If these tractors were worth so much they wouldn't be sold out to resellers. But anyway I would negotiate and see what they are saying....maybe you can get a deal....good luck

·
Premium Member
1,984 Posts
I'll buy that bridge from you, then close it so all them idiots can't escape. :laugh:

:laugh::laugh::laugh: I like that idea. Maybe if the bridges and tunnels are disconnected, it would float into the Atlantic so then they can do whatever they want and not effect the rest of us. Sorry, off topic, but I couldn't resist. :nunu:

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wow A lot of negativity here on this topic. Its not my first rodeo and I understand how dealerships work. That being said, I have done a lot of business with this particular manager and he k ows if its not a good deal, Ill go elsewhere. I dont think he would offer unless he can deliver. It certainly cant harm anything to see how sharp his pencil is. I wont be surprised either way. I will let you know whats on his mind and which way it goes

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
There’s a HUGE tractor dealership near me selling Kioti and Mustang tractors for a lot lower than the green. Could be the competition is catching up with JD on subcompacts and people are simply going cheaper. If he’s going to throw in a backhoe on a trade in for the same payments, and your ok with extending your loan, I don’t see a disadvantage there. Heck, I might stop by my dealer and see how desperate these guys are.

·
Registered
474 Posts
No negativity meant from this writer just realism of profits from the John Deere perspective....I've also got a close friend there and they have hi levels of costs from mergers, etc and must maintain the highest of profit margins....however go for a deal if you can get it....

·
Registered
20,811 Posts
There’s a HUGE tractor dealership near me selling Kioti and Mustang tractors for a lot lower than the green. Could be the competition is catching up with JD on subcompacts and people are simply going cheaper. If he’s going to throw in a backhoe on a trade in for the same payments, and your ok with extending your loan, I don’t see a disadvantage there. Heck, I might stop by my dealer and see how desperate these guys are.
This is exactly what vehicle, tractor, and all salesman hope all their customers will think.

Wow - my payments will be the same and I can get a new car/truck/tractor. The heck with the extended length of the loan and what the actual added cost will be.

·
Registered
237 Posts
It is not a monster power back, but does work a fat boy won't get done otherwise. It's awesome.

These two comments made my day, thanks for the laughs!!! :lolol:

To the OP, I believe the back hoe is really the strong point of these tractors, you won’t regret getting one. While you’re at it, step up to the 2025.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Keeping tjr payments the same, extending the loan period would work just fine for me... $134 x 12 payments is under $1600. Ill take a new tractor and backhoe for $1600 every time. Its also funny you mention the 2025. Do I need it? Nope. Do I need a back hoe? Nope. Is it my style to go bigger as long as Im changing? Yes. It will likely be my last tractor, might as well go for it. Of course thats what I said less than a year ago when I got this one! I just stopped at the dealer branch around the corner from my house. He happens to have a 1025r TLB sitting on the line. No 2025 BUT their main showroom is only 15 minutes away. I bet they have one!

1 - 20 of 91 Posts