Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some advice here. I read lots of threads on the subject of trading up from a
1025r to something bigger. There are conversations about more HP or lift capacity but not much about comfort which is my issue. I use the 1025r to cut 4 acres of grass with about 2 manicured and the other 2 littered with about 148 large oak trees. The issue is the 2 acres in the trees which is rough going.
Lots of divets, roots exposed, and just uneven terrain. The result is bobble head type reaction from the 1025r getting thrown around and the impact on my back. Im seriously considering a Ferris ISX 3300 with suspension on unit and the seat. The problem is i use the 1025r FEL quite a bit and we live on a 500 acre family farm where sometimes i may cut grass around ponds and open fields w a 48” rotary. I dont really want to give up the JD tractor unless a 2025r or a 2032r with the longer wheelbase, more weight, etc. would give me a better ride. Anyone have any thoughts on that?

·
Premium Member
1,466 Posts
Do you have radial versa turf tires or bias R4s ?
The versa Turf hybrid radial tires make a pretty nice improvement in traction and ride comfort.
The 2025R is smoother especially if it also has a hybrid turf radial, the 2025R or 2032R would have galaxy garden pro3s, which look and act just like a bigger Carsile versa turf tire that a lot of guys put on their 1025Rs.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Excellent question, i upgraded the tires on the 1025r to the R3 Versa Turf radial tires last summer. They vastly improved the traction over the turfs I was running but not much improvement in comfort. I even looked for an air ride seat but really dont want to pay $1k for a seat that needs modifactions.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I am a huge proponent of zero turns for mowing. I tried mowing with my 2025r a couple of different times and both times very much looked forward to getting back onto the zero turn. They take a bit of getting used to and it wasn't tremendously faster at first. But now that I have the hang of it I can't imagine trying to mow with a tractor again. I would like a better seat on my zero turn. I think I could go faster still with a little better seat.

I know people love the 1025r for being a jack of all trades but when you can get a pretty decent zero turn for the price of the deck alone and you have the room to store the extra equipment having a separate mower has a lot of advantages in my book.

·
Premium Member
Tator
15,983 Posts
The bigger you go generally the better the ride. Larger tires and longer/wider tractor tend to offer a better ride. I thought my 2025R was huge improvement over my 1023, but my 2038R is a vast improvement over the 2025R. I also have R1 tires on my 2038R, in the field they are many many times a better ride than the R4's. The R3 radials that are available on the 32/38R also provide a very good ride, not sure if they are available for a 3 series or not.

·
Premium Member
1,466 Posts
I had a deere Z9 diesel not to long ago summer 2019, it mowed smooth flat ground fast.
Don't recall it being ultra smooth to ride on.
It was terrible about getting stuck and could not hold a ditch bank at all.
Not to mention if you turn into the wind all the clipping go into your face.
That zero turn machine lasted about 90 days for me and it got traded back to the dealer for an X758.
Zero turns at least to me are best suited for flat lands and or city lawns, not at all impressed with them for rough, off camber or wet terrain out in the country.

·
Premium Member
1,466 Posts
The bigger you go generally the better the ride. Larger tires and longer/wider tractor tend to offer a better ride. I thought my 2025R was huge improvement over my 1023, but my 2038R is a vast improvement over the 2025R. I also have R1 tires on my 2038R, in the field they are many many times a better ride than the R4's. The R3 radials that are available on the 32/38R also provide a very good ride, not sure if they are available for a 3 series or not.
Galaxy makes them in sizes that would work on an 3R, but as far as I know Deere does not yet offer them as a factory option out side the 2025R,2032r, and 2038R.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
A 2025r is going to be an upgrade. I owned a Kubota BX for 10 years before so similar to a 1 series JD. The question is the upgrade worth it? In my opinion no, you will eat some depreciation on your current tractor and you aren’t really getting a big upgrade in the FEL department. A 2032 will fell like a much bigger upgrade and you can go with a 72 inch deck. How much do you want to spend?

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Excellent question, i upgraded the tires on the 1025r to the R3 Versa Turf radial tires last summer. They vastly improved the traction over the turfs I was running but not much improvement in comfort. I even looked for an air ride seat but really dont want to pay $1k for a seat that needs modifactions.

GJF,
A bigger tractor won't equate to a smoother ride, and Versaturfs may soften the impact a bit, but not to a point where you might notice. I don't quite know what you mean about having to modify an air ride seat, but I can tell you that an air ride/mechanical suspension seat is what you need. In the end that $1K cost for a Grammer seat, one of the best available, is worth 100 times that in return. Any seat will require connectivity to the tractor, but in the case of my seat a universal base was used which costs less than $200. What it required was to completely remove the JD seat and suspension/base, then installation of the Grammer generic mount and seat. The only additional parts needed were washer and some bolts from the local hardware store. If you would rather spend much more than the cost of a seat on a larger tractor so be it, and not my concern. Just be aware it's not the cure for a rough ride.

·
Premium Member
5,101 Posts
Dammit! I’m having the same conundrum. Well, kinda. I want a smoother ride but I think it’s just an excuse for me to trade up. I thought about going up to a 2038R but too much tractor for my 2 acres because too much money lol. The real reason I’m a hairs width from trading up to a 2025R is freshening up if that makes sense. I put 336 HARD hours on my little guy and don’t want to deal with all the failings down the road. I used the heck out of it and am still using the heck out of it but my place is getting close to where I want it and before long it’ll be done and it will be nice to have a fresh tractor that hasn’t been rode hard and put away wet. Already got the paperwork drawn up on the trade but haven’t pulled the trigger yet. Why you gotta go reminding me to spend more money?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
BOBL.... i agree on the seat thing. I drove a 1025r this weekend and a 2032. The 2025R was better but the 2032r was a change worth noticing. With that said, its to much tractor. My yard aleeady has grooves from cutting grass w the 1025R. I cant imagine what the extra weight and tore size from 2032R will do. What i noticed in that demo was that the “john deere- Elite Seat” which is just springs is not working on my 1025R and that might be the issue. From the day of purchase I never had spring in my seat. Its almost like ots welded in top position. I dont know how to unfreeze it. The 2032 and 2025 i rode has all kinds of bounce but mine is stiff like a steel plate. I am now testing a Ferris top of line commercial mower with suspension chassis and suspension air ride seat. See how that goes. If good ill keep the 1025r and add onto my shed to store the zero turn. The ZTR will help with all my trees and im hoping its an improvement in comfort. Im also going to get the 1025R seat fixed. Thank u all so much, the suggestions really helped me see other options.

·
Premium Member
12,239 Posts
Dammit! I’m having the same conundrum. Well, kinda. I want a smoother ride but I think it’s just an excuse for me to trade up. I thought about going up to a 2038R but too much tractor for my 2 acres because too much money lol. The real reason I’m a hairs width from trading up to a 2025R is freshening up if that makes sense. I put 336 HARD hours on my little guy and don’t want to deal with all the failings down the road. I used the heck out of it and am still using the heck out of it but my place is getting close to where I want it and before long it’ll be done and it will be nice to have a fresh tractor that hasn’t been rode hard and put away wet. Already got the paperwork drawn up on the trade but haven’t pulled the trigger yet. Why you gotta go reminding me to spend more money?
Now I think I have heard it all for reasons to trade. The extent which people will go to talk themselves into it. Well, Nice knowing you buddy......

I know, Kyle just wants to be able to post in the CUTS threads, instead of the SCUTS threads. Time to drop the "S".

."freshening up" - that's what two or more women do when they go to the "restroom together".

"336 Hard Hours" and you are worried about "all of the failings down the road"..?? Such as.........
"It would be nice to have a fresh tractor that hasn't been rode hard and put away wet"..............

If you want a larger tractor my friend, buy a larger tractor. I know, your buddy who you play lumberjack with has the 2025r so you want one too.............

Remember us "little people" my friend, you know, with the Barbie Jeep Tire tractors.............. :cautious: At least I can say "I once knew Kyle, before he moved onward and upward to a fresher tractor".........

·
Premium Member
5,101 Posts
I’m still on the fence. I got a hot tub coming and the wife just expanded my patio build to a extra 1500 sq ft. AND she’s got outdoor furniture on her mind...

Really though, my tractor is still in great shape and I m wishful thinking. It’ll probably happen though eventually. Just not a priority right now. I’m not going to no cut forums anyways.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts