Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 2012 X748, (271 hours) a couple months ago. Turns out the radiator is shot and possibly the water pump due to coolant leaks. The dealership has been great and will do 50-50 on part/labor to repair it. Even still this changes the difference in price between a very low hour X758 with warranty till till 2022. So today she is going down the road and will be back this afternoon with a X758, 60" deck with 42 hours on the clock.

The old girl. (The Heavy Hitch for 2" receiver and twin 5 gallon bucket holder are staying with me):thumbup1gif:

Attachments

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Congratulations!

It’s one of my dreams to get an x758 as a second tractor to use as a dedicated mowing machine. It’s probably a good thing that the closest dealer is so far away that I don’t go look at one....
I am now leaving the sprayer on the JD 2305 for apple tree spraying duty. I have a Simplicity Conquest with turbo bagger too for picking up grass that gets away from me. The Simplicity I picked up with 96 hours was cheaper than JD wanted for a bagger.

Attachments

·
Registered
133 Posts
Nice. The x758 is an excellent machine, I've been extremely happy with mine after getting it last month.

Rick

·
Premium Member
7,434 Posts
After your earlier post about the x748, if mine, it would be GONE, GONE, GONE!!!! :nunu::nunu::nunu:
You're very LUCKY the dealer took it back, I'll split a Lottery ticket with you :gizmo: :greentractorride:

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
After your earlier post about the x748, if mine, it would be GONE, GONE, GONE!!!! :nunu::nunu::nunu:
You're very LUCKY the dealer took it back, I'll split a Lottery ticket with you :gizmo: :greentractorride:

Well I'm BACK! Round trip of about 280 miles pulling an 18' very heavy duty tandem wheel utility trailer. I had the trailer built, it is rated for about the weight of 9 X758's.:laugh:

I already put an .9 hours on it and while operating on the hill it makes me wonder if something was also going on in the hydro of the X748. It had a tendency to kind of "buck" while going uphill. Kind of nice not to smell anti freeze too.:bigthumb:

·
Registered
553 Posts
Pictures? Pictures?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I know everybody likes pics., plus a few thoughts on my first impressions:

Withing 10 min. of getting home, I unloaded and heavy hitch installed and the seat safety bypassed with a spare switch zip tied down. Then took machine to move the 18' trailer to the back where it is parked.

42.9 hours on the clock!:good2:

1. Aprox 1/10th of the grass ends up on the deck compared to the X748.
2. No where near the amount of grass and cottonwood plugs up the air intakes to the radiator.
3. Operates smoother but seems a little louder both running and with deck engaged.
4. Surprisingly enough, the stock seat is more comfortable and is not slippery. This was troubling on the steep hills I have.
5. The forward pedal takes way less than half the pressure when climbing steep hills than the X748, makes me wonder if something was going on with the other one. Felt like the Jd 2305 in high range climbing a steep hill.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
13,951 Posts
I am now leaving the sprayer on the JD 2305 for apple tree spraying duty. I have a Simplicity Conquest with turbo bagger too for picking up grass that gets away from me. The Simplicity I picked up with 96 hours was cheaper than JD wanted for a bagger.

A few years ago a good friend had a Simplicity thinking 24 hp ... :dunno: he has a nice incline that with turf tires would not climb that hill without hitting locking diff pedal. Its starts to spin so he pressed the pedal and up he went, went to the top of hill , made a left and all I hear is a load shot , like a 12ga shotgun gone off. I was helping him mow with my 1025, and I noticed he stopped about half way down the grade.. He is off trying to find out why his mower stopped moving. As I come about 30 ' from him I noticed a pick patch of oil, and I see gears and looked like the back or side of his transmission case.
He bought a 1023 that afternoon. :laugh:

Good luck with your new x758

·
Registered
553 Posts
Very nice!

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
[/B]

A few years ago a good friend had a Simplicity thinking 24 hp ... :dunno: he has a nice incline that with turf tires would not climb that hill without hitting locking diff pedal. Its starts to spin so he pressed the pedal and up he went, went to the top of hill , made a left and all I hear is a load shot , like a 12ga shotgun gone off. I was helping him mow with my 1025, and I noticed he stopped about half way down the grade.. He is off trying to find out why his mower stopped moving. As I come about 30 ' from him I noticed a pick patch of oil, and I see gears and looked like the back or side of his transmission case.
He bought a 1023 that afternoon. :laugh:

Good luck with your new x758

I seldom take the Simplicity Conquest on the slopes. But just like all the manufacturers, the upper end mowers have good hydros, the Conquest has a K66 but even so, it is no K90 or K92.

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,189 Posts
Congrats!!!!! Nice...

·
Premium Member
7,434 Posts
Well I'm BACK! Round trip of about 280 miles pulling an 18' very heavy duty tandem wheel utility trailer. I had the trailer built, it is rated for about the weight of 9 X758's.:laugh:

I already put an .9 hours on it and while operating on the hill it makes me wonder if something was also going on in the hydro of the X748. It had a tendency to kind of "buck" while going uphill. Kind of nice not to smell anti freeze too.:bigthumb:
I think you took the big trailer to haul OUR lottery winnings back :yahoo: :gizmo: :yahoo::greentractorride:

·
Corndog Hater
11,111 Posts
Nice X758! I'm glad the dogs approve!:thumbup1gif::lol:

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the pics!

Sounds like you got rid of the X748 just in time....

Well I am sure glad the trade was made. Yesterday after putting .9 hours on I noticed two things:

1. When going up hill the forward pedal required about triple the amount of pressure to climb hills. Much like the JD 2305 would feel if going up a steep hill in high range.
2. The hydro on the X748 had what I can only describe as a "bucking sensation" when going uphill, any hill. Something was not right but I had no frame of reference. The JD 2305 certainly didn't do that either.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well week #1 is in the history books.

Have put 6 hours so far on the X758. Filled it 2.6 running hours ago and now have a hair over half on level ground. On the slopes it was flashing an icon of "empty".

I am very happy with it so far and it is a big improvement over the JD2305 for two reasons:
1. Comfort although I am not fond of the RIO and have already done away with the seat switch.
2. Ability to mow at an honest 4". The grass is growing so fast right now mowing at 2.75" like the 2305 would really be piling up grass.

I've ordered G6 gator blades but don't have them yet. Very little grass build up under deck, the HC deck is better than the 62C.

I checked to night and it was running 168 degrees on the hydro with air temp of 80. The 2305 would routinely run 180-190.

So far it looks like it burns about 25% more fuel than the 2305. My gut feeling is 1 gallon/hour vs. 3 quarts on the 2305.

The hydro 4WD is seamless and quite an improvement over the MFWD.

·
Registered
21,175 Posts
Well week #1 is in the history books.

Have put 6 hours so far on the X758. Filled it 2.6 running hours ago and now have a hair over half on level ground. On the slopes it was flashing an icon of "empty".

I am very happy with it so far and it is a big improvement over the JD2305 for two reasons:
1. Comfort although I am not fond of the RIO and have already done away with the seat switch.
2. Ability to mow at an honest 4". The grass is growing so fast right now mowing at 2.75" like the 2305 would really be piling up grass.

I've ordered G6 gator blades but don't have them yet. Very little grass build up under deck, the HC deck is better than the 62C.

I checked to night and it was running 168 degrees on the hydro with air temp of 80. The 2305 would routinely run 180-190.

So far it looks like it burns about 25% more fuel than the 2305. My gut feeling is 1 gallon/hour vs. 3 quarts on the 2305.

The hydro 4WD is seamless and quite an improvement over the MFWD.
Happy to hear about the build up under the deck. That is my biggest peeve with my 62D deck one reason I am looking at one of these as a dedicated mower.

That and I need something more comfortable and has ease of mounting/dismounting. I really wish I could see one in person to get a feel of that for myself.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts