Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a heavy duty car hauler I use to haul my 4010 mcut. I got some 3 1/4"x 3/16" angle iron to put rails on it so I can haul firewood on it but haven't done anything with it yet. The other day I saw an add for a trade that has me interested. It's an 18'x 78" utility trailer.

Pros are that the rails are on already and it's 2' longer. I could build a gate for it and could load my tractor and all my empliments with my brushhog hooked up and still lift the gate. It's also got a bulldog hitch which would be an upgrade.

Cons are that it's a significantly lighter and has a couple bad boards that will need replaced before I would be comfortable using it.

I know that anything I'll ever need to haul, my current trailer can do it.

I'll try to post a video of mine and a link to the other.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So would you trade? I think my trailer is worth a bit more. What do you think?

·
Registered
11,758 Posts
So would you trade? I think my trailer is worth a bit more. What do you think?

make a set of wooden sideboards to fit ur trailer. no way i would trade urs for the other one-just my 2 cts.

question? doesn't ur trailer have any brakes on it. just wondering why u have a 4 prong plug-instead of a 7 pin. does it have a break away kit on it? if so-where's ur battery at? i didn't see it--where mine is located at.

i 2nd to make sideboards-ok.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No brakes, don't know what a break away kit is.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Looks like either trailer handles what you need to haul and the extra length would be a nice bonus. Personally, I like flat decks with sides I can pull off as needed but like everything, what works for one doesn't for another.

·
Premium Member
14,129 Posts
Wow , that is one funny looking trailer 18' W and 78" L. :laugh: :hide:

:munch:

I don't think I would trade , like Big Jim finish putting removable side rails.

Break away is like the U-haul trailers. Don't need 7 plug works with a 4 plug ,

·
Registered
3,228 Posts

Yours looks in better shape. However I wouldn't tow anything with it.

No trailer brakes on one that size is crazy. If I remember correctly any trailer hauling over 3,000 lbs is required to have them. If you get in an accident the lawyers are going to have a field day with whatever's left of you.
You need the 7 pin connection because it has a power wire to energize your trailer brakes.

A brake away battery powers the trailer brakes if the trailer comes loose from the tow vehicle. Any trailer with electric brakes is required to have one.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts

I think them U Haul trailers have surge brakes. They work with fluid pressure instead of an electric magnet. A regular master cylinder like a car would have is mounted by the hitch. The force of the trailer trying to push the tow vehicle when trying to stop activates it.

U Haul uses this type of system so that the tow vehicle doesn't need to have an electric brake controller to operate the trailer brakes. They are popular with high end boat trailers. This way you aren't dipping your electric brakes into the water every time you launch the boat.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts

I think them U Haul trailers have surge brakes. They work with fluid pressure instead of an electric magnet. A regular master cylinder like a car would have is mounted by the hitch. The force of the trailer trying to push the tow vehicle when trying to stop activates it.

U Haul uses this type of system so that the tow vehicle doesn't need to have an electric brake controller to operate the trailer brakes. They are popular with high end boat trailers. This way you aren't dipping your electric brakes into the water every time you launch the boat.
Yes, U-Haul trailers use surge brakes. There's a sensor that detects when you're slowing and it applies the trailer brakes at that time. The harder you slow, the more pressure the brakes are applied with. It's 100% non adjustable to suit your tow vehicle. :)

A breakaway is a controller for electric brake systems. You attach a cable to the tow vehicle that has, at its other end, a "pin". If the trailer and tow vehicle become separated, the cable pulls the pin and the battery on the trailer (part of the breakaway setup) applies the trailer brakes.

·
Registered
10,287 Posts
John, if it were me, I'd keep the trailer and build removable sides. For safety reasons, you trailer SHOULD have brake on at least ONE axle.

With a 7 pin plug, the breakaway battery will be charged by your tow vehicle.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
John, if it were me, I'd keep the trailer and build removable sides. For safety reasons, you trailer SHOULD have brake on at least ONE axle.

With a 7 pin plug, the breakaway battery will be charged by your tow vehicle.

Good point... 7-pin harnesses add a +12V line (constant when vehicle is on) that will allow the battery in the breakaway to remain charged and it can also be tapped to operate 12V items (like interior lights on an enclosed trailer).

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yours looks in better shape. However I wouldn't tow anything with it.

No trailer brakes on one that size is crazy. If I remember correctly any trailer hauling over 3,000 lbs is required to have them. If you get in an accident the lawyers are going to have a field day with whatever's left of you.
You need the 7 pin connection because it has a power wire to energize your trailer brakes.

A brake away battery powers the trailer brakes if the trailer comes loose from the tow vehicle. Any trailer with electric brakes is required to have one.
Don't have the same rules down south.

·
Premium Member
14,129 Posts

Thanks for getting my mind cleared :laugh: Should have researched a tad before posting my reply.. :hide:

·
Premium Member
14,129 Posts
Yes, U-Haul trailers use surge brakes. There's a sensor that detects when you're slowing and it applies the trailer brakes at that time. The harder you slow, the more pressure the brakes are applied with. It's 100% non adjustable to suit your tow vehicle. :)

A breakaway is a controller for electric brake systems. You attach a cable to the tow vehicle that has, at its other end, a "pin". If the trailer and tow vehicle become separated, the cable pulls the pin and the battery on the trailer (part of the breakaway setup) applies the trailer brakes.
Thanks had the two mixed up in my mind.:hide:

·
Registered
10,287 Posts
Don't have the same rules down south.
Trailer brake requirements. → Check it out here.

Not all state are equal on this matter. Louisiana does NOT require a breakaway system on any trailer . Arkansas requires a breakaway system if Grow Weight is 3000 lbs., or more.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts

Not all state are equal on this matter. Louisiana does NOT require a breakaway system on any trailer . Arkansas requires a breakaway system if Grow Weight is 3000 lbs., or more.
I would suggest checking with the DMV and/or State Police in whatever state the trailer is to be registered in. I don't think the requirements that AAA has listed for CT are correct.

·
Registered
10,287 Posts
I would suggest checking with the DMV and/or State Police in whatever state the trailer is to be registered in. I don't think the requirements that AAA has listed for CT are correct.
You are correct.

AAA
Each trailer or semitrailer having a GVW of 3,000 lbs. or more shall be equipped with a braking system operating on all wheels. The braking system shall be adequate to control the movement of the trailer safely and to hold the trailer stationary. All trailers over 8,000 lbs. shall be capable of braking by foot or hand.

Connecticut CT.gov

Brake Equipment - Any trailer with a GVWR of 3000 lbs. or more will be assumed as intended to carry such weight and therefore shall be equipped with a braking system operating on all wheels. The braking system shall be adequate to safely control movement of the trailer and, when set, to safely hold the trailer stationary. Electric or air brakes are required on all trailers over 8,000 lbs. GW and on any commercial trailer required to have brakes under FMCSR applicable when the Gross Combination Weight Rating (GCWR) with the towing vehicle is 10,000 lbs. or more in interstate use and 18,001 lbs. or more in intrastate use. These braking systems must be operable at the driver’s seat of the towing vehicle by either hand or foot. Surge brakes are allowed as the trailer brakes on non-commercial trailers having a GW of 8,000 lbs. or less. Surge brakes may be allowed on commercial trailers having a GW of 8,000 lbs. or less only if not subject to the interstate and intrastate limits noted above. Any trailer with a GVWR of 10,000 lbs. or more and commercial trailers subject to the interstate and intrastate limits noted above will also require an emergency break-away device to set the trailer brakes upon separation from the towing vehicle.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

That's odd since mine is a 7000# rated trailer and doesn't have them. It was built in Arkansas by Dakota or Daytona, can't remember. You can buy them new just like it is with no brakes. :unknown:

1 - 20 of 61 Posts