Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.

Might be a dumb question, but Im just wondering if anyone has put anything down on trails to keep from getting covered in mud when it rains.

Ive got a few trails through the woods that I need to use no matter the weather, and during Summer and Winter its generally fine. Spring and Fall? Not so much.
Id thought of mulch or stone, and dont necessarily want stone. Maybe there is some really tough grass that doesnt need a lot of sun? I guess Im just wondering if anyone has done anything similar that actually worked. I saw a video of a guy on youtube chipping branches just for this, so maybe thats the solution.

Ill be running my 318 and 2025 on them. I know it sounds a bit odd to some to want to do this, but when they get muddy, they pick up quite a bit of gravel and leave mud in the gravel, neither of which does much good, and of course leaves the garage a complete mess.
So far Ive just dealt with it with the 318 and old 955 I had for a while, but its obviously not ideal. If nothing will work, great, Ill just continue on as is, but if I can get mulch or something to work, I might get a chipper for the new tractor and have something else to do, lol.

·
Registered
12,495 Posts
Mulch or wood chips might work, might also get a little spounge at times. I’d get the chipper and have fun fixing it yourself.

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
Mulch will rot and turn to mud eventually. If the trails are just getting a ton of leaves on the trail, I suggest a big blower.

·
Registered
11,748 Posts
:munch: my vote would be to pave em.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
I’d vote for mulch as well. It’ll be about the most economical, natural, replaceable, and effective trail covering you could ask for and will usually be mud free if laid thick enough and replenished from time to time.

When it does get old and worn out/muddy/rot you can just put more on top or scrape it clean and replace.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. I already figured mulch would be the best solution. Probably cheapest in the long run, aside from the cost of the chipper anyway, but then thats an attachment, and we dont factor the cost of those into any work we do with our tractors, right? LOL!

·
Registered
21,428 Posts
My solution is to just stay off them until it dries up. We get serious mud after breakup in the spring but the mud only lasts a couple weeks.

Without putting a proper base down first you will just loose any gravel you put down if you run on it when it’s muddy.

Just stay off them with the machines and walk for a while.

·
Registered
913 Posts
If your main concern is the mud being carried into your clean garage, save the time of mulch application and spend some of those dollars on a reliable pressure washer to keep hooked up ready to go just inside your garage. Then spend a couple of minutes to blast the mud off the tires before you park.

Thats what I do. Pressure washer is already hooked up to a water hose, and hose to wand is laid out along the wall, so there's no set-up effort like attaching and uncoiling hoses, nothing other than turning on water and pulling the starter rope.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My solution is to just stay off them until it dries up. We get serious mud after breakup in the spring but the mud only lasts a couple weeks.

Without putting a proper base down first you will just loose any gravel you put down if you run on it when it’s muddy.

Just stay off them with the machines and walk for a while.
If that were an option, Id do it. And most times Im able to, but its the access to my burn pile, and if a tree goes down across the drive in a storm, Ive got to get it put somewhere, mud or no. Piling it somewhere will be an option once the 2025 shows up though, so it might be easier to stay off with the loader around all the time.

Then again, a wood chipper sure looks like a pile of fun....and Ive sure got the wood around to keep it fed regular, and it doesnt take much of an excuse to get another attachment, lol!

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
If your main concern is the mud being carried into your clean garage, save the time of mulch application and spend some of those dollars on a reliable pressure washer to keep hooked up ready to go just inside your garage. Then spend a couple of minutes to blast the mud off the tires before you park.

Thats what I do. Pressure washer is already hooked up to a water hose, and hose to wand is laid out along the wall, so there's no set-up effort like attaching and uncoiling hoses, nothing other than turning on water and pulling the starter rope.

Not much of an option, as then it would be all over the gravel out front of the garage, and all over the cars, etc.
Add to that that the closest water to the garage is 60', across the drive and a concrete walkway, so it cant be left indefinitely, and thats a no go.
Wish I had water in the garage, or at it, but I dont. I might remedy that with the backhoe.

And it might not be as bad as I think, the 955 and my 318 have ag tires, and they get BIG clumps of mud everywhere. Ive not had R4s in mud, or at least not for quite a while, and that was on a bobcat, so much heavier.

One part of the trail comes out by the house, so maybe I could put one of those rubbermaid type outdoor storage things up with an electric pressure washer in it near the end of the trail. That would work better. Might be an idea....

·
Registered
10,246 Posts
You'd have to lay a barrier(i.e. flowerbed edging, border, etc....) not to lose this stuff. Check out GroundSmart Rubber Mulch, or XGrass.
It might be a little costly, but you could spread the purchase over a few years.

·
Registered
286 Posts
What one of the local ATV clubs did on a trail that ran between a residential neighborhood and a major oad was to put down a 6" thick layer of wood chips. I suspect that they bought several loads of chips from a woods contractor, rather than creating it with a wood chipper on their own. I believe their intent was for dust control, which appears to have succeded.

Another approach which is used at construction sites is to put down a layer of 6-12" layer of heavy rip rap which you could place just inside the woods and drive over it to shake the mud off.

Dave

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Back in 2012-2013, I had access to unlimited free wood chips,
the wood had been tub ground in 2011 after a storm.

I covered my garden in the material,, at a depth of over ten inches.

Fast forward to 2018,, the wood chips are totally gone.
actually, in 2014, it was difficult to see any evidence of the addition.

Here is a pic of plowing the garden just last month.

Notice the damp soil sticks to the tires.

Wood chips are a good choice if you only need the road for one year.

·
Registered
610 Posts
You'd have to lay a barrier(i.e. flowerbed edging, border, etc....) not to lose this stuff. Check out GroundSmart Rubber Mulch, or XGrass. It might be a little costly, but you could spread the purchase over a few years.
I looked at that product and I think that's the perfect solution for our house and addition. I used to buy mulch by the truckload for our landscape beds at our last house in Florida but I had to renew it every two or three years.

·
Registered
763 Posts
If you have access to good, free pallets, that is one option that can be cheap and effective. Put them in when it is muddy and they will provide a good base that will last several years depending on the acidity and average temperature of your soil. I have a couple of muddy spots on a trail at the cabin where I used 6' pallets and it it still working after three years. I've not had issue with nails, although that could potentially be a problem. The Ford 8N and side x side use the trail regularly.

6' pallets also make great harrows for food plots.

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
Free wood chips are sometimes available from tree trimmers that are looking for a place to dump them.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts