Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have been trying to clear this trail on the side of my hill to make it flatter as it was pretty steep. I have been using my box blade and find it is very time time consuming with MANY passes and having my BB offset to get rid of the slope

I had an idea to use my rotary tiller in the same manner (offset) to make it quicker to that I would have to do then is clear the turned up ground...

thoughts in this approach?

the picture below shows the trail and from the red line forward is what i have left to do..

Advice is appreciated....

I have a few other trails that I have decided to have a local guy come in with his Cat bulldozer with a cantilever blade on it, this trail I can't get his dozer out to because of the trees he would have to navigate

Thanks in advance

20180409_171106.jpg

·
Registered
21,428 Posts
I learned this from an older dozer operator - for his own personal use he had an old Deere 350B(?) with a fixed blade(would angle but not tilt).

All he did was cut himself a level pad pushing from above or below to start. The key is to make this pad to the grade you want to maintain on your trail. Now position the dozer on the pad and the blade is at the proper angle without angling it.

I use this method with my loader and tooth bar. Just keep carving forward - when you get a bucket full back up a little and dump on the low side. After a while go back and level up your spoils pile.

I would resist using a tiller on a trail like that unless you have a lot of stone to put on it - it will be soft for a long time and when muddy be a mess.

I know it’s hard to explain but to see it done was all it took for me to get it.

·
Registered
11,748 Posts
i agree with what coal train said in his post. u could cut that with ur loader if ya knew how. try practicing some. key is to be level to get started. then just cut on the high side-don't go very far digging, back up and dump on low side.

i had to learn how to run bull dozer on a non-tilting blade. u have to start out with a level pad. back one track up on a pile of dirt-whatever had to be done.

i wished i was closer so i could show ya-and would love working that trail then. looks like ur gonna need awater bar or 2 on that hill, so it doesn't wash for ya.

that space looks like open enough to me for a small dozer to fit into?? is the way there blocked? good luck-show us a pic or two when the dozer leaves-ok.

·
Registered
21,428 Posts
i agree with what coal train said in his post. u could cut that with ur loader if ya knew how. try practicing some. key is to be level to get started. then just cut on the high side-don't go very far digging, back up and dump on low side.

i had to learn how to run bull dozer on a non-tilting blade. u have to start out with a level pad. back one track up on a pile of dirt-whatever had to be done.

i wished i was closer so i could show ya-and would love working that trail then. looks like ur gonna need awater bar or 2 on that hill, so it doesn't wash for ya.

that space looks like open enough to me for a small dozer to fit into?? is the way there blocked? good luck-show us a pic or two when the dozer leaves-ok.
Thanks for adding to the explaination - it’s so hard to put it into words!

I knew you would know how to do this being an old dozer operator from way back. A lot of those tricks can be used with our little loaders - like you said just have to take smaller bites.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Appreciate the input fellas. I like the mantra of work smarter not harder..

Tiller fixed me up in 3 passes...

I know what you are saying but do you know the time that would take in TN rocky root laden ground.. I don't even want to think about it... I have to make a pass with my box blade and it all done now

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
Appreciate the input fellas. I like the mantra of work smarter not harder..

Tiller fixed me up in 3 passes...

I know what you are saying but do you know the time that would take in TN rocky root laden ground.. I don't even want to think about it... I have to make a pass with my box blade and it all done now
You know we need pics, right!

·
Registered
220 Posts
A mini track hoe is the ticket on trails and small roads. Surprisingly fast and can install water bars and lead offs. With a straight blade dozer is a tremendous amount of backwards and forwards while twisting to get dirt moved to low side of road.
A mini isn't that expensive to rent for weekend.

just saying.

·
Premium Member
7,504 Posts
How a bout a back blade that you could tilt to cut the high side and angle to move the spoils to the low side? :dunno:

Having both tilt and angle moved with hydraulic cylinders would be the best/easiest :drinks:

·
Registered
401 Posts
We have a similar trail on a side of a hill. Over the years the water started to use the trail as a ditch and wash out in places. I cut out drainage for the water to escape to avoid the washouts.
I put a few hours on the tractor , but it is a much better trail now. It is the only trail in or out of the hunting club. It is not our ground , so I will not post any pictures in respect of the land owner.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Having both tilt and angle moved with hydraulic cylinders would be the best/easiest :drinks:
That would be a dream, any ideas on how to do that on a 2032R??

1 - 11 of 11 Posts