Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm a real novice when it comes to trailering equipment so I've been agonizing over the right choices.

I have a 2011 Ford F350 SuperCrew with a fiberglass cap so I'd prefer to go with a bumper pull trailer rather than a GN. I'll be towing a JD 3720 cab tractor with a 300CX loader (or grapple) and 6' Woods Rotary cutter about 125 miles a few times a year from our Ohio home to our property in Pennsylvania. I'd love to have the option to bring a fork lift attachment in addition to the bucket OR grapple.

When I'm not using the FEL and brush hog, I want to transport at least two ATVs or snowmobiles for recreational purposes. I could possibly see us bringing the Gator 850D with the two ATVs as well. I probably won't have a homesite or storage space in Pennsylvania so these will generally be one day round trips back home to Ohio.

I've been thinking a deck over trailer will give me more loading options. Since I don't want to come up short on space, what length would you recommend? Tilt bed? Dovetail? Slide in or fold up ramps? I'm very confused!

Oh, I'm going to be 60 this year so wrestling slide in or fold-up ramps in a few years is a bit concerning to me. Thanks in advance for any advice!

·
Super Moderator
5,203 Posts
When I'm not using the FEL and brush hog, I want to transport at least two ATVs or snowmobiles for recreational purposes. I could possibly see us bringing the Gator 850D with the two ATVs as well.
Just for clarification here, you want to be able to haul the tractor minus the FEL and Brush hog AND 2 ATVs/snowmobiles AND a Gator?

Reactions: rod330

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
IMAG0155.JPG
I have a 20' 10K dove tail. I can get 2 ATV's and my 1026R/blower on it. I have had 5 atv's on it. The ramps are heavy, but can be used for side loading. Tilt trailers are nice. But loading multiple machines can be tricky. Deck overs have a higher loading height that may require longer heaver ramps.

·
Registered
4,299 Posts
Take a look at the Corn Pro heavy tilt utility trailer (Corn Pro UT-21 HT). I used one of these to haul my 1025R, but it will haul a lot more. This particular one had a 17ft. tilt with a 4ft front flat.

Click on the link below then scroll down the Heavy Tilt Utility Trailer.

CornPro Trailer- Advanced Trailer Technology

·
Premium Member
10,067 Posts
So you want to haul the tractor and implements, or the two ATVs, correct?

I like deck over trailers, there's nothing in the way to prevent loading from the side. You can use lightweight fold up ramps to load the ATVs that way, or if you need to pick up something that would be loaded with a forklift they can drive right up to the side of the trailer and sit it on. When I was buying materials to build our pole barn (16' poles, sheets of metal roofing, etc) the deckover really made life easier. Fold up ramps are usually spring loaded, they really aren't that difficult to handle. Try a few on dealers' lots and see what you think.

I would look for a 20', 10K trailer minimum. Longer wouldn't hurt. That's getting a bit big for a bumper pull style, so look into a weight distributing, sway control hitch setup as well.

·
Registered
892 Posts
I really like my Midsota 16+6 gooseneck. It's 14k rated and tilts like butter.

Jim

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just for clarification here, you want to be able to haul the tractor minus the FEL and Brush hog AND 2 ATVs/snowmobiles AND a Gator?
No, sorry for being unclear. One load would be the tractor with FEL (or grapple) and Brush Hog. Naturally, I'd use this for mowing fields, renewing an apple orchard and clearing dead brush and fallen limbs.

Otherwise, for play time or hunting, I'd use the trailer for 2 ATVs and possibility the Gator. In winter, I'd like to bring 2 or maybe 3 snowmobiles.

Thanks.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So you want to haul the tractor and implements, or the two ATVs, correct?
Yes, that's correct- tractor and implements OR toys.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I like deck over trailers, there's nothing in the way to prevent loading from the side. You can use lightweight fold up ramps to load the ATVs that way, or if you need to pick up something that would be loaded with a forklift they can drive right up to the side of the trailer and sit it on. When I was buying materials to build our pole barn (16' poles, sheets of metal roofing, etc) the deckover really made life easier. Fold up ramps are usually spring loaded, they really aren't that difficult to handle. Try a few on dealers' lots and see what you think.

I would look for a 20', 10K trailer minimum. Longer wouldn't hurt. That's getting a bit big for a bumper pull style, so look into a weight distributing, sway control hitch setup as well.
I love the tilt deck concept but worry about side loading the ATVs or snowmobiles- unless they'll fit side by side if driven on. Otherwise, I think the deck over gives me the most load configuration options.

Regarding weight distribution and sway control hitches, I'm pretty sure the electronic towing gadgetry on my F350 incorporates those functions. I'll need to read the owners manual to verify.

·
Registered
892 Posts
That's why the 6' fixed portion at the front. Short set of ramps is all ya need.

·
Premium Member
10,067 Posts
I've never been a fan of the gravity tilt trailers. Seems like they always have the axles too far forward (to allow the trailer to tilt) and end up with less than ideal weight distribution. Also seems like it could be tricky loading multiple items, once you get the first one or two on the trailer would probably want to tilt back down level, making it hard to load the rest. Hydraulic tilt might be better if you're really interested in a tilt trailer.

With regard to weight distribution and sway control, regardless of the programming in your truck you need a hitch system designed for it. It consists of a larger drawbar that slides into your truck's receiver, a 2 5/16" ball and bars that connect the drawbar to the frame of the trailer. It can be used to transfer more weight to the front axle of the tow vehicle, which is something that can't be done with software. You'll probably find your truck is rated in the manual to haul X weight with a regular hitch and Y weight with a weight distributing hitch.

If it weren't for your topped I would recommend a gooseneck trailer. They pull much nicer than bumper pulls, don't require any kind of weight distributing hitch and are more common than deck over bumper pull trailers in larger sizes.

·
Super Moderator
5,203 Posts
No, sorry for being unclear. One load would be the tractor with FEL (or grapple) and Brush Hog. Naturally, I'd use this for mowing fields, renewing an apple orchard and clearing dead brush and fallen limbs.

Otherwise, for play time or hunting, I'd use the trailer for 2 ATVs and possibility the Gator. In winter, I'd like to bring 2 or maybe 3 snowmobiles.

Thanks.

Ok! I think the advice for a 20' deckover flatbed is pretty solid. I'd skip the tilt bed in your case. IMO, it's useless if you are going to be loading 3 separate machines on it and you can save a bunch of $$ by just going with the ramps. One of the 8800 lb models would probably work but I'd opt for a 10k or 12k if you can work a deal on one. You've got plenty enough truck to haul it.

Good luck! (and, btw, you have waaay to many toys! :laugh: )

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That's why the 6' fixed portion at the front. Short set of ramps is all ya need.

Ok, I think I get it now-- use the 6' fixed front of a tilt bed trailer to side load the first ATV and then just drive the remaining ATVs on the tilt section- is that the idea?

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Great advice, everyone....I think I'll go for a 20' deck over.

Last two questions-- dove tail with fold up ramps OR no dove tail with slide in ramps? Considering my age, will the fold up ramps be a bit easier to handle? I presume the slide in ramps are twice as long without a dove tail and may require a little more muscle.

Big Tex, Corn Pro or other recommendations?
Thanks again!

And, can you ever have too many toys?

·
Super Moderator
5,203 Posts
Last two questions-- dove tail with fold up ramps OR no dove tail with slide in ramps? Considering my age, will the fold up ramps be a bit easier to handle? I presume the slide in ramps are twice as long without a dove tail and may require a little more muscle.
If it were me I'd opt for the fold up ramps. If they start getting difficult to deal with there are "assist" systems you can install or you can just hook up a cheap boat winch and crank them up/down.

There is probably a limit out there somewhere but I haven't hit it yet! :lol:

·
Registered
892 Posts
Yup to the question about ATVs earlier. The reason I didn't want a ramp is now I can haul the zero turn, my bro-in-laws narrow front model 60, my 3005, etc.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Great advice, everyone....I think I'll go for a 20' deck over.

Big Tex, Corn Pro or other recommendations?
Thanks again!

If your going deck over, you HAVE to have a dovetail or beaver tail to load your tractor. Unless you have some 15' long ramps.. Deck over trailers usually have 4-5' dovetails or beaver tails, so your looking at a 16+4' = 20' trailer deck or 20+4' = 24' deck..

Most have stand up ramps.

·
Administrator
18,300 Posts
1 - 20 of 37 Posts