Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 16'x6'10" 7k utility trailer that I bought new in 2013, since then I have probably put 2500 miles on it or so with no issues at all. I keep the bearings greased regularly through the ez-lube hubs but have not removed the hubs to inspect the bearings. I will be carrying probably 4k on the trailer and wonder if i should replace the bearings and races or just let them be the trip will be 4000 Miles with the last thousand miles of that being through Alberta and British Columbia.

·
Administrator
20,720 Posts
I would jack each wheel up, inspect for excessive free-play, adjust as needed, and adjust the brakes as needed too. Give each hub some grease and enjoy your trip. :good2:

·
Administrator
18,001 Posts
If your concerned, get a cheap IR temperature gauge, then take a trip at highway speeds for 30 minutes and then check the temps of the tires, rims, and hubs for anything abnormal. This of course in addition to what Jason wrote-not instead of.

Also, make you have a spare or two, and the tools needed to change on the road-trailer tires are notorious for blowouts, all are made in China nowadays.

·
Premium Member
14,742 Posts
I have a 16'x6'10" 7k utility trailer that I bought new in 2013, since then I have probably put 2500 miles on it or so with no issues at all. I keep the bearings greased regularly through the ez-lube hubs but have not removed the hubs to inspect the bearings. I will be carrying probably 4k on the trailer and wonder if i should replace the bearings and races or just let them be the trip will be 4000 Miles with the last thousand miles of that being through Alberta and British Columbia.
Sorry just have to say this,,, WOW a 16' Wide trailer and it's only 6'10" L NA:dunno:

I bet its a 6'10" x16' :munch::cheers:

·
Registered
22,748 Posts
Cannot add to what has been posted. If you're really worried, take a set (or 2)of bearings with ya.
Agreed - spare tire(s) and spare bearing sets with the tools to change them out. Inspect tires and feel heat of hubs at every stop.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
It wouldn't hurt to pull the hubs to get a look at the grease. If the grease looks like new simply put it back together. If any sign of water, rust, or any other discoloring is noticed. Repack and or replace the bearings. It's a good idea to have a spare hub / bearing , grease, and tools with you. It's unlikely a bearing will fail if you have a spare on hand.

·
Registered
740 Posts
If there isn't any excessive play in the hub, grease it like you have been doing and don't worry about it. I have gotten at least 10,000 to 15,000 miles out of most of my trailer bearings just by pulling and packing them by hand once or twice a year.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the advise I have one spare and will probably grab another. I will definitely check the play in the bearings and probably rotate the tires while I'm at it what do y'all do x pattern or front to rear?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,336 Posts
Thanks for the advise I have one spare and will probably grab another. I will definitely check the play in the bearings and probably rotate the tires while I'm at it what do y'all do x pattern or front to rear?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
yeah 2 spares, 2 sets of bearings, 1 hub brake drum, a low jack, couple of wooden timbers too. aw-yeah I would probably take my road toolbox, to perform these duties. one last thing, a spare axle nut and a flat file, in case u don't catch the wheel coming off the axle quick enough, ur need that new nut then and the file to fix the messed up threads. when I trucked I had lots of tools and 2 jacks. I fixed anything I could along the road, before letting anyone else do it. good luck and have a safe trip!!!

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
It wouldn't hurt to have one of these,, and a 12 volt pump,,,

All four of the tire valves on my trailer went bad within a week,,,

I thought somebody came by and let the air out of all four tires,,,

There was a period when the manufacturer used the wrong material,, the stems just fell off.

Also, consider having the tires nitrogen filled.

In my case,, I have to charge the battery before a trip,,, :dunno:

If I am carrying a heavy load (8,000 plus pounds), I raise the air pressure to 70psi,,,
my tires are rated for it,,,:thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
210 Posts
Check your tires! Many trailers come with cheap biased ply tires, my cheap biased ply tires ran hot and didn't last more then a few thousand miles. I replaced them with a good set of radial tires they run much cooler and seem to be wearing much better.

·
Premium Member
2,133 Posts
I have had some bad experiences with the ez-lube axles in the past. Not that they don't work, but over lube is what happened. Because the grease fitting is soooo easy to get to, the tendency is to grease them more than needed. The end result, the grease pressure will push the inner seal out and you will get grease on the brakes.
In PA, we need to get these trailers State Inspected every year. When the inspection mechanic pulls the wheels, I look at the condition and how well lubed the bearings are then. If they are getting dry, I repack them. That said, most states do not require an annual inspection so these bearings never get looked at.

Kennyd's thought on using an infra-red temp gun also works. I actually use this process. The only issue that I have found using the temp gun is, on an axle that has brakes, the brake heat will cause the temp to go up also, especially when it is loaded and you have to crank up the brake voltage. When I want to check bearing temps, I try to do it when I don't have the trailer loaded so I don't need the brakes. I turn my brake controller off so I don't get the brake heat into the picture.

Yours are probably OK, but for piece of mind, pull them and look at them. :bigthumb:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts