Green Tractor Talk banner

Trailer Brakes

2K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  MTB98 
#1 ·
Is anyone familiar with a trailer brake system that has this equipment mounted on it?
Wood Road surface Motor vehicle Eyewear Track

See less See more
#2 ·
That's a break-away box. If functional and properly connected, it activates if your trailer breaks free of the vehicle that is towing it and applies the trailer' s brakes.

#6 ·
Just had a whole new system put on the work trailer...probly the 4th one at least.

The Newer style has indicator lights on the outside of the box.
Tells you if battery is charged and that it is in fact charging....iirc
Same size box as yours......inside is the battery and tiny charger.

#7 ·
The battery in the plastic box is likely not functional any longer (if there is still a battery in the case....). These are often neglected on trailers which are more than a few years old. In fact, over the years, I have found more trailers where the break away system didn't work, than those which were functioning as intended.

If you are pulling this trailer on the road, its prudent to go through the system to make sure it works. The wire cover appears to have been pinched or cut and the wire nuts are not the proper way to repair wires exposed to the weather.

Honestly, its probably best to purchase a new kit and replace the entire thing. They start at $40 (roughly). Here is one source to purchase the kit.

Make sure to install it correctly and use the cable correctly so if the trailer should separate, the brakes will engage and hopefully stop the trailer.

It would be a good idea to pull the wheels and check the actual trailer brake pads and system as over time, many freeze up,. etc......

#9 ·
I wouldn’t jump down anybodys throat about the wire nuts, he could of just had to do a roadside repair and just got back home. But if that is a permanent fix, then that’s terrible. I don’t even like scotch locks. In my opinion they are worse than wire nuts. But yet I still own them for a quick easy roadside repair if needed. I would highly recommend the solder and heat shrink connectors. Or at the very least some heat shrink over the splice.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.