Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the last few weeks I’ve been hunting a new trailer. Specs are 18-22’ long, bumper pull style, 14k capacity, full tilt deck with power up and down. The exact features I want varied by what manufacturers offered but that’s the general “hard” requirements.

Nobody has one. If I order today, off of an approved option list H&H can have me one in 6 months. PJ can have me one in 4 months, Big Tex told me it would be April 2022 before I saw delivery. If I can find a dealer that has a trailer with my specs in line to be built already I can get it whenever it’s produced, but after nearly a dozen dealers in four states I’ve only found one. It’s built by MaxxD, and a local dealer has the exact trailer I want listed on their website, $9995 and “on order”. Played a little phone tag and ended up driving down today in person. I’ve been trailer hunting for a while, they have this one in the process of being built, I woke up this morning with every intention of putting a deposit down and doing paperwork today. $10k is a hefty price, but this trailer has a full 102” deck, dual jacks and batteries, power tilt up and down...the works. If there was an option, they’d ordered it. More than I needed, but this trailer should last me 20 years so buy once cry once right? The guy on the phone confirmed that if I put a deposit down today on their existing order, I could get it for $9995.

I looked at their trailers on the lot and quality was good. Paint was about average, welds were decent, electrical connections were all heat shrink from connectors which is fine. My only gripe was the tilt latches, they seemed a little cheesy for a 14k trailer but not a dealbreaker. The price though...since it hasn’t been built yet, that $9995 isn’t locked in and at current pricing it became over an almost $12,000 trailer. With every single option that we could strip off removed, it was still just barely under $11k and that was all they could do.

The lack of inventory across the industry is surprising. Every lot I went to was pretty sparse, every dealer has said they’ve never seen anything like this. My buddy bought the exact trailer I want (and have been borrowing) from HH two years ago for $4700 out the door. Today that exact trailer is $6500 and the next one my dealer had available will be ready in July. I could buy a small rollback truck for around the price of a trailer, be more maneuverable, faster, look more professional, etc for what a bumper pull trailer would cost me.

I didn’t buy anything today, left with the cash in my pocket and made a few more phone calls. I’m changing plans, found some stuff up in Nebraska that should help me get done what I need to without spending as much on a trailer...wait, more. Without spending more on a trailer than I did the truck to pull it with.

Are other folks shopping trailers finding the same lack of inventory or rapidly rising costs?

·
Premium Member
8,675 Posts
My only gripe was the tilt latches, they seemed a little cheesy for a 14k trailer but not a dealbreaker.
Our PJ 14k deck over tilt doesn’t have latches, just power up and down. The back 22 foot tilts and then there’s 6 foot that does not. It is similar to my dump and neither of them has ever raised on their own but we do chain down to the front section stays so it couldn’t tilt anyway.

The PJ 14k dump was 8500 back in 14 with most the options. I asked about one Monday and there is one on the lot for 10,200. They expect the next ones to be 25%-35% higher.

Remember when we were young and laughed at the news on the bare shelves in Russia. 🤦‍♂️

·
Premium Member
12,664 Posts
The guy on the phone confirmed that if I put a deposit down today on their existing order, I could get it for $9995.
The price though...since it hasn’t been built yet, that $9995 isn’t locked in and at current pricing it became over an almost $12,000 trailer.
Wait a minute.

You could buy it for $9995 on the phone but when you got there is was over $12K.

I hope that trailer rusts on the lot.

·
Premium Member
10,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wait a minute.

You could buy it for $9995 on the phone but when you got there is was over $12K.

I hope that trailer rusts on the lot.
While I noticed that, I wasn’t too bothered by it. Steel has gone up, tires have gone up, let’s not even talk about lumber. The new floor I need to put in my gooseneck is going to be 1/3 more expensive than it was last year. Should’ve done it then. :laugh:

Seriously, if they’d stuck to the $9995 I would’ve bought it today. I’ve been shopping for weeks, borrowing for months and this one could be here at the end of May which is the soonest anyone has quoted me. They couldn’t, which while initially disappointing isn’t that big of a deal. After all the headache trying to find this specific type of trailer, I decided to dig a little deeper on something very different that I found a few weeks ago. I’ve liked the idea of the other option but pushed it aside because it can’t do everything the trailer can, but today made my decision for me. I can drive a couple of hours and bring home something that will do everything I need to do moving small machines that won’t load on my big trailer. I can keep my gooseneck trailer for larger things and borrow the 14k tilt my buddy has for the rare time my setup isn’t suitable for a specific type of machine.

I talked to the salesman from the other place this afternoon, seems really nice. He’s having the title overnighted from their other location and is supposed to meet with me Saturday even though they’re closed. I’m really grateful the trailer didn’t work out today- I still plan to buy one like I’ve been shopping for eventually, but I feel much more at peace with this other route right now.

·
Premium Member
12,664 Posts
Glad it worked out for you.

I still hope the trailer rots on the lot..........

·
Premium Member
1,794 Posts
I here yea. Trailers have been scarce for nearly a year now.
I have been waiting on my 22ft PJ deck over with monster ramps for over 5 months now. Looking like it will finally arrive right at 6 month from the time I placed the order last November.

·
Registered
262 Posts
This is becoming a common problem on many manufactured items. And it’s going to get worse. It is the result of a confluence of events.... most notably inane tariffs, price gouging by industries now protected by the same tariffs, COVID mismanagement from day one, idiotic PPP loans being handed out right and left, including to those whose businesses prospered in the last 14 months. And don’t forget stimulus checks and tax refunds.....Both increase demand for products that are in short supply or that don’t exist at all right now…and formerly employed people who are now being paid well to stay home. There are literally hundreds of thousands of jobs available… employers begging for workers . But when you can collect the kind of money people have been paid for not working the last year why would they work?. No shame any more in being on the dole. No wonder businesses want to automate.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
I looked yesterday for a 20' bumper pull, something I can haul my track car and my tractor with. The only thing available in 20' seems to be a 16'/4' hydraulic tilt in 14k. I don't need 14k, I only want 10k, but there are none, not even in 18'. And the 20' is 7999, which is about 3k more than I would have expected 2 years ago. I'm open to used as well, but the only used car trailers are beat to heck, need full deck replacement, brakes, bearings, etc, and people want minimum 2500 for a trailer that can't even be safely transported home without a second trailer.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I so feel for you! I spent so many hours looking at different brands of dump trailers. In the end I found a new Iron Bull dump trailer that works for me. What's up with the cost of trailers these days?

Darren

·
Registered
129 Posts
This is becoming a common problem on many manufactured items. And it’s going to get worse. It is the result of a confluence of events.... most notably inane tariffs, price gouging by industries now protected by the same tariffs, COVID mismanagement from day one, idiotic PPP loans being handed out right and left, including to those whose businesses prospered in the last 14 months. And don’t forget stimulus checks and tax refunds.....Both increase demand for products that are in short supply or that don’t exist at all right now…and formerly employed people who are now being paid well to stay home. There are literally hundreds of thousands of jobs available… employers begging for workers . But when you can collect the kind of money people have been paid for not working the last year why would they work?. No shame any more in being on the dole. No wonder businesses want to automate.
Sorry, this is off topic

I'm a getting the ax next week for my Job at Boeing. The good news is I will be back in the fall or early winter. Washington unemployment is $780 per week and the Biden $300 extra will be nice. While it is less then my normal pay it will give me a nice a relaxing summer working with my tractor......YeeHa!

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Lumber prices are unbelievably high. I have a few projects that I’m not doing because I can’t bring myself to pay that much for a 2x4.
Steel prices are even worse. I bought a couple pieces out of the cut off drop pile at a local place and they’re charging $1/pound now for their cutoffs. Luckily I found what I needed in there. A 4’ piece of 2 1/4” square tubing was going to be almost $75! I found a 9’ piece and some angle iron for only $85 🙄

·
Registered
13,346 Posts
I know you’re a long way from Texas, but I got an email saying Texas pride had stabilized their inventory and workforce to keep new ones rolling out. Maybe there’s a dealer somewhere in the middle.

·
Registered
7,860 Posts
For the last few weeks I’ve been hunting a new trailer. Specs are 18-22’ long, bumper pull style, 14k capacity, full tilt deck with power up and down. The exact features I want varied by what manufacturers offered but that’s the general “hard” requirements.

Nobody has one. If I order today, off of an approved option list H&H can have me one in 6 months. PJ can have me one in 4 months, Big Tex told me it would be April 2022 before I saw delivery. If I can find a dealer that has a trailer with my specs in line to be built already I can get it whenever it’s produced, but after nearly a dozen dealers in four states I’ve only found one. It’s built by MaxxD, and a local dealer has the exact trailer I want listed on their website, $9995 and “on order”. Played a little phone tag and ended up driving down today in person. I’ve been trailer hunting for a while, they have this one in the process of being built, I woke up this morning with every intention of putting a deposit down and doing paperwork today. $10k is a hefty price, but this trailer has a full 102” deck, dual jacks and batteries, power tilt up and down...the works. If there was an option, they’d ordered it. More than I needed, but this trailer should last me 20 years so buy once cry once right? The guy on the phone confirmed that if I put a deposit down today on their existing order, I could get it for $9995.

I looked at their trailers on the lot and quality was good. Paint was about average, welds were decent, electrical connections were all heat shrink from connectors which is fine. My only gripe was the tilt latches, they seemed a little cheesy for a 14k trailer but not a dealbreaker. The price though...since it hasn’t been built yet, that $9995 isn’t locked in and at current pricing it became over an almost $12,000 trailer. With every single option that we could strip off removed, it was still just barely under $11k and that was all they could do.

The lack of inventory across the industry is surprising. Every lot I went to was pretty sparse, every dealer has said they’ve never seen anything like this. My buddy bought the exact trailer I want (and have been borrowing) from HH two years ago for $4700 out the door. Today that exact trailer is $6500 and the next one my dealer had available will be ready in July. I could buy a small rollback truck for around the price of a trailer, be more maneuverable, faster, look more professional, etc for what a bumper pull trailer would cost me.

I didn’t buy anything today, left with the cash in my pocket and made a few more phone calls. I’m changing plans, found some stuff up in Nebraska that should help me get done what I need to without spending as much on a trailer...wait, more. Without spending more on a trailer than I did the truck to pull it with.

Are other folks shopping trailers finding the same lack of inventory or rapidly rising costs?
Steel costs are through the roof. Anything made of steel is getting some serious price increases. The Federal Reserve may say inflation is under control but I think the cat will be out of the bag pretty soon. Fuel, gasonline, tires, steel products etc. are all jumping in price. Consumer goods will quickly follow.

Treefarmer

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Steel prices are up 80% to 150% in the US from pre COVID levels and from what they are around the rest of the globe. Globally steel is flat to down. (depending on grade and factors like plate or coil) Companies are shifting products intensive in steel out of the US as rapidly as possible. Tariffs went into effect April 17th so now fabrications with steel from China now have the steel tariff. Before you could not bring raw steel on without a tariff but if you made something out of it so it was a different import code you could. New tariff applies to more codes so fabrications and castings but finished products still have no tariffs. But, India, Canada, Europe, Mexico no tariff.

So if you can move your trailer fabrication to Canada or Mexico you get an 80 to 150% drop in steel prices. With the massive increases in US labor costs Canada is a prime option.

As everyone uses up the cheap steel they had on pre-buy ( large users buy on annual contracts) or in their yards and get new steel in prices applied to products they make, trailers and implements are really going to shoot up.

·
Premium Member
4,447 Posts
Late summer I do the ordering of pontoons for us to sell. A week ago we received the final of what was ordered in July. This makes me want to order earlier, but the downside is not knowing what changes will be for 2022. A bigger concern is nothing is price protected. Many of our pontoons landed at over a $1000 increase from initial order. Most were pre sold and we absorbed that increase, it's the right way to do business, but will cost us in the tens of thousands (and me personally in the thousands).
Here's my biggest fear.... The buying surge ends and every dealer is stacked with overpriced product, racing to give it away to clean up their floorplans.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I echo a lot of what folks are saying. I saw some of this coming, and made my trailer swap in December (sold one trailer to buy another, as the dealer explained prices were going up 20% in 2021). In about September 2020, it was made clear at the manufacturing company I work for, there were going to be challenges in 2021, without knowledge of these significant price increases specifically. Not because sales were less, but with the adjustments made for the whole covid situation in 2020 - budgets were eaten into.

I too, have projects that are on hold, and will remain there, until this political storm passes. Unfortunately, I think it's going to be a while.

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
I here yea. Trailers have been scarce for nearly a year now.
I started a thread a couple of weeks ago about shopping for 3/4 or 1 ton pickups. Inventory is pretty much non-existent and dealers are selling what they do have for sticker or more. I really lucked out and found an F-250 that has pretty much everything I wanted, only a couple of things that I wouldn't have ordered but will enjoy anyway, and the dealer discounted it about $2400 off sticker and gave me a pretty good deal on my trade in. Not a great deal by 2019 standards, but an awesome deal these days.

The Federal Reserve may say inflation is under control but I think the cat will be out of the bag pretty soon. Fuel, gasonline, tires, steel products etc. are all jumping in price. Consumer goods will quickly follow.
I was just thinking about that yesterday. A couple of days ago I heard some talking head mention that the Fed is keeping inflation at 2% right now. I ran through my head pretty much the same list you mentioned and thought there's no way inflation is only 2%! Groceries are up significantly. Last time I was in WalMart looking for t-shirts and underwear, the shelves were bare. Something's going to bust big time in the next 6 months or so. It might be a rough ride. That's probably all I should say at this point before I turn your trailer thread into a political one!

By the way, good to see you on here, Blake!!

·
Registered
818 Posts
Steel prices are up 80% to 150% in the US from pre COVID levels and from what they are around the rest of the globe. Globally steel is flat to down. (depending on grade and factors like plate or coil) Companies are shifting products intensive in steel out of the US as rapidly as possible. Tariffs went into effect April 17th so now fabrications with steel from China now have the steel tariff. Before you could not bring raw steel on without a tariff but if you made something out of it so it was a different import code you could. New tariff applies to more codes so fabrications and castings but finished products still have no tariffs. But, India, Canada, Europe, Mexico no tariff.

So if you can move your trailer fabrication to Canada or Mexico you get an 80 to 150% drop in steel prices. With the massive increases in US labor costs Canada is a prime option.

As everyone uses up the cheap steel they had on pre-buy ( large users buy on annual contracts) or in their yards and get new steel in prices applied to products they make, trailers and implements are really going to shoot up.

With those huge multi-trilion dollar trade deficits and national debts and under/unemployment it sounds like a GREAT time to open up a few dozen or so steel mills and foundries in the US!

Heck, we may not only get more new jobs and new trailers but JD tractor seats that are made onshore and don't break. 👼

·
Premium Member
12,658 Posts
I shopped for weeks for an open, aluminum utility trailer and finally found one, after having spent the equivalent of a full time work week simply trying to find the trailer. Many dealers aren't even bothering trying to keep their online inventory accurate as the inventory changes so quickly. Phone calls and deposits are the only way to secure something in this economic environment.

The trailer I ended up buying was at the dealer for less than an hour from when it was delivered from the factory, when I was able to purchase it. Then, when I was at the dealer later that same day and hooking it up to tow it home, another customer pulled in and offered me 10% more than I paid for the trailer if I would sell it to him, right there on the dealers lot. He seemed genuinely perturbed I wouldn't consider his offer. Oh well.

As you know, the Elkhart, Indiana surrounding area is the trailer capital of the U.S. While it's a 15 hour, 1,055 mile drive due east of Cheyenne on I-80, the inventory of finished product is higher there than likely anywhere else in the U.S.. There are dozens of dealers, some within sight of one another, within a few miles of the Toll Road exits. Check online and perhaps try some calls to these dealers.

When looking for dealers, search within the 50 mile radius of Elkhart and you will locate the majority of the dealers as well as manufacturers who will sell directly to the public. While many of the companies also have factories in different regions of the U.S., many of the companies are headquartered in the northern Indiana area.

It might require a drive, but the inventory of product is concentrated in that geographical area and worth a try.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I bought a manual tilt from these folks, HP Trailers. I love the trailer, great service and even better people. They are busy like everyone else but they have some of the best prices I have found, sell direct.
Web site: Equipment Utility Trailers For Sale | Pullhp.com they took their pricing off the web site, updating because of the crazy times became onerous. They have been posting the latest pricing catalog on their facebook page. You have to scroll through the pictures to find the latest set of pricing. as of today the last posting with prices was March 9th...March 9th 2021 Prices

They have two locations, one in SW Iowa and one in Florida and have some ability to deliver trailers. If you are looking for a trailer I would give them a look.

I do not work for them but I am a very happy customer.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts