Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a new to me dump trailer. Actually, even though I was the second owner it was still new as the original owner brought it home and realized he couldn't use it. I checked the tire pressure before hooking to the trailer but never thought about the lug nuts.

Anyway, a caution in the owners manual was to recheck the lug nuts after 50 and 100 miles. It was about 50 miles to bring it home yesterday so today, I checked the lugs. To my surprise, all but one or two of the lugs on the right side were loose. I don't mean, not tight; they were loose! :gaah:

The left side wheels were more what I expected. Some needed snugging but nothing finger loose. I'm guessing the dealer prep was done by two different people, one on each side. The right side person never tightened his side.

I've learned my lesson. I'm really glad I read the manual. I'm not sure I would have thought of checking the lugs before something bad happened. I'll recheck again after running it with a load.

Treefarmer

·
Premium Member
14,760 Posts
I just bought a new to me dump trailer. Actually, even though I was the second owner it was still new as the original owner brought it home and realized he couldn't use it. I checked the tire pressure before hooking to the trailer but never thought about the lug nuts.

Anyway, a caution in the owners manual was to recheck the lug nuts after 50 and 100 miles. It was about 50 miles to bring it home yesterday so today, I checked the lugs. To my surprise, all but one or two of the lugs on the right side were loose. I don't mean, not tight; they were loose! :gaah:

The left side wheels were more what I expected. Some needed snugging but nothing finger loose. I'm guessing the dealer prep was done by two different people, one on each side. The right side person never tightened his side.

I've learned my lesson. I'm really glad I read the manual. I'm not sure I would have thought of checking the lugs before something bad happened. I'll recheck again after running it with a load.

Treefarmer

Glad to hear nothing damaged on yours ,, I pulled mine about 150 miles , bringing it home , then hauled the Pioneer on it for about 120 miles.

Thanks you just gave me something to check on mine (not a dump) this week..

·
Registered
892 Posts
Aluminum wheels?

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Nope, steel

Aluminum wheels?

They are steel. I don't think it was metal creep/dissimilar metals. I'm pretty sure it was someone forgetting to finish their job. Stuff happens, I was just lucky there was no damage. For that matter, the original owner was just as lucky has he had already pulled it home from the dealer. No telling how far a tire would roll if it came off at 60 mph but I'm glad I didn't find out.

Treefarmer

·
Registered
892 Posts
Wow, ya I agree. Steel wheels usually stay tight. Still a good idea to check from time to time though.
Glad to hear you found it before they took flight on ya.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts