Green Tractor Talk banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
765 Posts
If you can get a good deal on a used trailer that will work I’d say buy it and use it for awhile. You’ll see if it does everything you need or you’ll see what you need different. I’ve never lost any money on a used trailer. If you buy right and keep it in good condition you can get your money back and maybe more when you move on to something else.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I have a 10k 20’ equipment/ car trailer. It’s probably over kill for my 1025r. But I can haul my atv and tractor at the same time when I need to. I have hauled the occasional car with it.

If I was to do over I would either get a deck over or possibly a low pro dump trailer instead.
The fenders seem to get in the way when I need to load it with a forklift. 20’ seems to be a good length for me.
It's a tough call, 'cause there's no free lunch. I traded off my deck over for hauling my 5075E because the additional foot of height made the ramp angle so steep the rear implements would gouge into the ground severely. The 1025R couldn't back up the ramp at all due to the implements getting caught on the ramps. If they make a 16,000 lb trailer that's a deck-over with 12" wheels let me know.

Reactions: rtgt and Pigpen

·
Premium Member
'20 1025R, 120R, 54D
641 Posts
Deckovers really need a beavertail and even then the angles can still be too much.

Reactions: rtgt and Pigpen

·
Registered
219 Posts
Reactions: rtgt

·
Premium Member
11,261 Posts
Even the standard deck between the wheels with a beavertail can be steeper than a 1 series 3 point can lift unless you have some long ramps.

Gates suck. Ramps are heavy.

If I had to get another trailer for moving equipment I would be looking at a tilt deck.

Reactions: Kennyd

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
Gates are MPG killers. It’s surprising how much wind drag those create.
Yup, I never thought an enclosed trailer or a wind dam would impact fuel mileage to the degree it does. Boy, was I wrong. My first trailer was a single axle 84 x 12' flat with a 16" rail. Pulling that, didn't make much difference if it was loaded or empty, it would result in about a 20% reduction in fuel economy. Before I acqured my own, a buddy loaned me his 72 x 10' aluminum enclosed single axle. I couldn't believe the mileage impact---50%. I now have my own aluminum 78 x 18' tandem axle enclosed---no difference in mileage between that and the single axle I borrowed---50%. Last summer I acquired a 20' aluminum car hauler. I was expecting better, but it was a 45% reduction. It has a large front wind shield that I'm thinking has a lot to do with it.

Reactions: Pigpen

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
You need a 7k trailer no more than 18 feet long. My 2025r, loaded tires, 60” mmm, FEL, and something hanging off the back might go for 3500 lbs, probably a little less. A 1 series is going to weigh a little less. Now if you have other things planned for it you might go bigger.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Good deal, it’s really tough in my area to find a decent used trailer. You know what they say, pictures or it didn’t happen.

Reactions: Pigpen

·
Registered
2016 1025r
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I’ve got to be honest, when you said you got it for $1500 I was expecting something a little beat up. I’d say you did really well and an excellent price.
It’s not perfect but it will do 95 percent of what I want and and dealer has anything in stock for a 10k trailer and they can odder it for 5500 so this works it needs a light and the tires are a little bit dry rotted

·
Registered
765 Posts
Looks like you got a good deal on a nice looking trailer. For trailer tires I’ve had good luck with Carlisle Radial Trail HD tires from amazon or Walmart.com. For regular trailer parts and maintenance items, etrailer is hard to beat.

·
Premium Member
'20 1025R, 120R, 54D
641 Posts
Looks too far forward which is too much tongue weight. You want it more or less balanced over the axles.

Reactions: ejb69 and farmer52
21 - 38 of 38 Posts