Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for opinions/experience that you GTT folks have with trailer locks, coupler or otherwise. My new trailer has an adjustable height for coupler so a simple coupler lock is two bolts away from being changed and gone. It is going to get parked in places where I am not around to watch and don't want to drag chain thru the wheels and chip the paint up. Any ideas people? Thanks

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
From Amazon for the next size up

"I bought one of these last summer. This morning my trailer was stolen. They just used an iron bar or something and wedge it against the wheel and bent one side out no problem. I would not buy this again."

"I purchased two of these through Amazon, and put them on one side of my dual axle trailer. Last week,the trailer (and my new tractor) were stolen. As for the Trimax, it appears the thief used a sawzall to partially cut through one arm, then bent the arm back. I would include pictures, but no sense providing a how-to for bad guys. I'm sure it took a while to saw through two of them, but it sure didn't stop them."

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
From Amazon for the next size up

"I bought one of these last summer. This morning my trailer was stolen. They just used an iron bar or something and wedge it against the wheel and bent one side out no problem. I would not buy this again."

"I purchased two of these through Amazon, and put them on one side of my dual axle trailer. Last week,the trailer (and my new tractor) were stolen. As for the Trimax, it appears the thief used a sawzall to partially cut through one arm, then bent the arm back. I would include pictures, but no sense providing a how-to for bad guys. I'm sure it took a while to saw through two of them, but it sure didn't stop them."
Yea, if you put a chain through the wheels, they could cut that too. No matter what you do, I don't think there is a foolproof solution for determined criminals. With cordless angle grinders and bolt cutters, you really don't have much of a chance if they want your stuff.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Yea, if you put a chain through the wheels, they could cut that too. No matter what you do, I don't think there is a foolproof solution for determined criminals. With cordless angle grinders and bolt cutters, you really don't have much of a chance if they want your stuff.
For sure!
I would put up some trail cams. And hide a "tile" locating device on the trailer. If you can't prevent the theft then recovering is the next best thing.

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
Remove a few wheels.
In high school I worked for a welding shop that manufactured trailers. All of the inventory was stored inside of a chain link fence with barbed wire at the top. We would only keep one wheel on each trailer. Someone busted through the gate, took a wheel on one trailer, put it on another and stole it. After that, we took all of the wheels off of the trailers. Someone busted through the gate in a truck with a crane on it. They picked them up and drove off. South Carolina does not require VINs, or tags for trailers (or didn't at the time), so they just disappeared.

If they want it, they are taking it.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Man That sucks. I hate hearing when working people get stuff stolen.

Unfortunately a lock is only used to keep honest people out.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Around here a few years ago, they were stealing trailers by having a small ball (1 7/16") on the theft vehicle's hitch...back up to the trailer and drop it on the hitch regardless of whether or not it was locked, hook up the chains and take off til they got to where they could secure it properly.
I burnt the stud off of several old balls and lock them into my hitches, along with locking up the chains. I know that I'm only slowing down a determined thief, but maybe that'll be enough...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
595 Posts
There is not much you can do to stop a motivated thief. The best you can hope for is making it not worth the effort or making sure they get caught. Under some simple things you can do to make it not worth the effort, I can think of a couple that aren't too hard for you but might keep a thief moving.

1: Your coupling is removable; take it with you. Even better, lock something in the way of them putting their own on. Who carries a coupling around with them? Not opportunistic thieves.

2: Put a quick disconnect on your wiring, and take the trailer plug. Not a huge deterrent, but if they are stealing at night it might make them nervous about getting pulled over.

3: Take your jack handle. Even better, take your jack if it's a heavy trailer. I've seen construction company trailers with the couplers on a low block, no jack in sight. They either bring the jack or use their equipment to lift it. Either way, it's a pain for a thief.

Lights and camera's are the best deterrent if you can't be there. Stuff that slows them down and makes them nervous about how long it's taking might make them move on.

Sprinkling .308 brass around on the ground by the coupling might be seed for fears, too. :laugh:

·
Registered
3,228 Posts

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Maybe put cameras up and put signs out. I have a sign by my driveway so everyone knows.
If you can't or don't want to put cameras up put signs around you yard and a fake camera or two with a sign by your trailer so they see it.

I want to say harbor freight has some fake ones prettty cheap. Or amazon

Attachments

·
Registered
913 Posts
In high school I worked for a welding shop that manufactured trailers. All of the inventory was stored inside of a chain link fence with barbed wire at the top. We would only keep one wheel on each trailer. Someone busted through the gate, took a wheel on one trailer, put it on another and stole it. After that, we took all of the wheels off of the trailers. Someone busted through the gate in a truck with a crane on it. They picked them up and drove off. South Carolina does not require VINs, or tags for trailers (or didn't at the time), so they just disappeared.

If they want it, they are taking it.
FYI, South Carolina still doesn't require tags/registration for the Lowes/Home Depot type utility trailers. But they do for tandem axle equipment, car hauler, and horse trailers.

·
Registered
650 Posts

·
Registered
913 Posts
I've been pulling a horse trailer to shows for 30 years, and have used everything previously posted. at one time or another A person with enough time can defeat any anti-theft device.

One thing not mentioned yet is to have your trailer personalized, like having it painted a different color, putting decals and barn signs on it. Anything to make it stand out in a crowd of trailers and on the road. A thief would rather steal and try to sell
a plain white trailer given a choice.

Not my trailer, but you get the idea.
psytrailer.gif

·
Registered
837 Posts
I had 2 enclosed trailers stolen in Arizona both with hitch locks and chains through the wheels. One was even parked at a manufacturer that had people working 24 hours 7 days a week. The thieves got mine and one of the plants trailers. If they want them they will get them. It's better just to keep it at home where you can keep an eye on it.

·
Premium Member
10,057 Posts
Like others have said, not much you can do. Cordless grinders will defeat chains/ cables/ lock boxes/ etc in seconds. Taking a wheel off might slow them down by a minute or so. If it's a tandem axle trailer they can just strap up the axle and go, and there are only 3-4 different trailer lug patterns anyway. A handful of tires and wheels from TSC, battery impact and a floor jack. Same with couplers, there are only so many styles and by their nature they're easy to change. Of course carrying spare parts is more than just an opportunistic thief in my opinion, but the point stands.

Your best security is your neighbors, and they don't even know it. :laugh: You don't have to be faster than the bear, just faster than your companion. If my trailer is more difficult to steal than the one down the road, they're more likely to take the one down the road. Of course, having all your neighbors aware and watching out for stuff is also very helpful.

I use a combination of the above, depending on how often the trailer is used. Since I don't drive my pickup every day I usually park it underneath the gooseneck like it would be when hooked up as well.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Like others have said, not much you can do. Cordless grinders will defeat chains/ cables/ lock boxes/ etc in seconds. Taking a wheel off might slow them down by a minute or so. If it's a tandem axle trailer they can just strap up the axle and go, and there are only 3-4 different trailer lug patterns anyway. A handful of tires and wheels from TSC, battery impact and a floor jack. Same with couplers, there are only so many styles and by their nature they're easy to change. Of course carrying spare parts is more than just an opportunistic thief in my opinion, but the point stands.

Your best security is your neighbors, and they don't even know it. :laugh: You don't have to be faster than the bear, just faster than your companion. If my trailer is more difficult to steal than the one down the road, they're more likely to take the one down the road. Of course, having all your neighbors aware and watching out for stuff is also very helpful.

I use a combination of the above, depending on how often the trailer is used. Since I don't drive my pickup every day I usually park it underneath the gooseneck like it would be when hooked up as well.
This is, IMHO, the key to securing things in general. You want to make your property significantly less desirable to steal than "the one next door". Make yours harder to take, harder to get rid of, harder to drag away, etc.

You could also get really creative:

Re-wire the harness to include a disconnect switch that connects the "constant power" circuit of the tow vehicle to the brake wire. One of three things happens: They connect everything up and can't get the trailer to move because the brakes are "frozen" and give up. They pull the plug and "figure out" that's all it took to release the brakes (you could get really creative with some circuitry that would keep the circuit energized by the battery once it was made hot from the tow vehicle). Or, they troubleshoot the issue on the spot to find your hidden switch. Having this be a switch that's key-controlled would be even harder for them to defeat.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I am mostly concerned when the trailer is on a job. I wouldn't bring it home everyday and while I work in a fairly good area people do tend to notice things after a while.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Get a Dewalt mobile lock.

Triggers from vibration just sticks on with a magnet. It has a loud alarm and notices your phone. Also you can track it's location. Works for trailers or job site boxes etc.

https://www.dewaltmobilelock.com/

1 - 20 of 27 Posts