Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 3 years, I'm finally the owner of a trailer capable of handling my tractor. :yahoo:

Now the question is how to best secure everything?

When I hauled the tractor home on the skidsteer trailer, there wasn't enough room for the bucket and I had to "collapse" things down a bit to get the weight right.

DSC02324.jpg

Using chain binders, things moved enough that I probably wrecked at least one chain from rubbing on the bucket after 420 miles (it just wouldn't stay tight enough).

So now I'm using my own equipment and I'm contemplating how I should lash things down. I like nylon straps and ratchets because they're easier on paint, lighter, and tend to be easier in general. Chains seem more durable over all.

Here's the trailer I got (mine's a lot rustier):

T-12DT_01.jpg

And here she is as of 10 mins ago :banghead: (yes, it's snowing :nunu: ) :

20180414_153633-1[1].jpg

The "posts" sticking up mid-deck are where the tilt deck latches are. This is a 1999 trailer and they've changed things since it was built. There's a steel diamond tread plate in front of that (which is Swiss cheesed from rust and needs replacing) with 4 D-rings on the frame rails (frame is SOLID and only has minor surface rust anywhere) beside it, and then there's a storage cubby in front of that (which is also in need of new sheet metal). I got a bag of new LED lights and reflectors, and a pair of new fenders with it. The trailer was inspected in July of last year, when it had new brakes put in. Tires are in good shape, but I didn't look at the Mfg dates. New brake battery as well (brakes were tested and work great). Not too shabby for $2600. :cheers: :gizmo:

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
I was wondering where all the snow was in that first photo of the trailer. We had thundersnow a few minutes ago. Don't get that everyday.

How often do you bring your tractor home?

If once/twice a year then maybe straps would be fine. If more often, I would do what all the commercial guys do. I can't think of any that use straps. Everyone uses chains and binders that I know. They are moving stuff about every day though.

Is the storage big enough for the chains and binders? Since it needs to be reworked maybe go bigger.

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
I like straps and chains, so I use straps with chain ends.

View attachment 591362

To me they are the best of both worlds.
That's what i use. 4 inch straps with what i think is 3/8 chain on both ends.

Dave

Sent from my Samsung Note using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ordered up 5 ratcheting chain binders, a Tekonsha P3, and the adapter today. Then heard a policeman knock at the door...

I guess a neighbor complained about my trailer on the street, and the officer was nice enough to allow me to move it rather than citing me (they're out plowing, so it shouldn't be parked there).

So I brought it up North rather than fighting to maybe get it into the driveway.

20180415_195437.jpg

She tows really nice!

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
This is what I use. 3/8 inch chains on each end which helps prevent wear and tear on the strapping. When I bought mine, they had 10ft lengths available, but do not show that length now. I only needed 10ft lengths as I use one at each corner of the tractor. I have 2 inch 30ft long strapping for other things like over the bucket or any other attachments loaded at the time. WLL is 5400# each, so with 4 of them, I am at 21,600# total. WLL is the important figure to be aware of. Mine were $48.00 for 10ft, so the 20ft is very little more. I ordered yellow as I felt that this was the best color. These things are heavy!!!!

Dave

https://www.shipperssupplies.com/4-custom-ratchet-strap-w-chain-hook
strapping.jpg

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm either going with 3/8 or 1/2" G70 on the back, and 3/8" on the front with different chains on each corner for insurance.

My tractor's a lot heavier than most of yours. I don't want it visiting me in the cab. :lol:

·
Registered
346 Posts
In NY I have been told that you must use NY DOT approved chains only to tie down my tractor. I went and looked at the laws and that's not correct, but it was a NY state policeman that told me that. Now ny and most states have adapted the new Federal guidelines, so I went and started looking again, now I'm really confused again. here is one simple link that tells very little to help you.

https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/regulations/cargo-securement/drivers-handbook-cargo-securement-chapter-9-automobiles-light-trucks

for heavy vehicles even less

https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/regulations/cargo-securement/drivers-handbook-cargo-securement-chapter-10-heavy-vehicles-equipment

and because you said you will be doing it for hire, you get a whole different set of rules that are even more restricted. What I ended up doing is getting Agricultural commercial plates, this exempted me from most regulations. but here is the link to all the regulations.

https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/regulations/cargo-securement/drivers-handbook-cargo-securement-chapter-10-heavy-vehicles-equipment

I have asked the DOT in NY for clarification, and they won't give me anything in writing:lolol:

one thing that is pretty clear, if you are hired out, and the combined vehicle weight(potential) I say potential because you don't have to be loaded, is more than 10,000 lb for a truck and trailer and don't have agricultural plates, you get into all kinds of regulations. Yet I can haul my camping trailer that weighs far more with no retrictions. :flag_of_truce:

·
Registered
21,539 Posts
In NY I have been told that you must use NY DOT approved chains only to tie down my tractor. I went and looked at the laws and that's not correct, but it was a NY state policeman that told me that. Now ny and most states have adapted the new Federal guidelines, so I went and started looking again, now I'm really confused again. here is one simple link that tells very little to help you.

https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/regulations/cargo-securement/drivers-handbook-cargo-securement-chapter-9-automobiles-light-trucks

for heavy vehicles even less

and because you said you will be doing it for hire, you get a whole different set of rules that are even more restricted. What I ended up doing is getting Agricultural commercial plates, this exempted me from most regulations. but here is the link to all the regulations.

I have asked the DOT in NY for clarification, and they won't give me anything in writing:lolol:

one thing that is pretty clear, if you are hired out, and the combined vehicle weight(potential) I say potential because you don't have to be loaded, is more than 10,000 lb for a truck and trailer and don't have agricultural plates, you get into all kinds of regulations. Yet I can haul my camping trailer that weighs far more with no retrictions. :flag_of_truce:
Just to add to the confusion....

I spent a day of training with our DOT "creeper cops" a few years back. It was very informative.

One thing that applies here with chains - if you can't read the rating on a chain it is considered the lowest rating available for said size chain.

It kind of makes sense in their perspective - but the markings on a chain used a lot will be gone fairly quickly. So if you buy new chain, find the rating markings, and try to protect it from being rubbed off. Of course the same holds true for straps - make sure those tags stay intact and readable.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Get Grade 70 5/16" or 3/8" chain and chain binders (I like ratcheting ones) and be done.

No worries about load, rubbing/cutting of straps on edges, etc. The 5/16" is plenty strong (4,700lbs) and light enough to easily handle. The 3/8" is rated for 6,600lbs and is quite a bit heavier to deal with, especially in 20ft lengths.

Hopefully you have good places to secure the chain to (D-rings, etc).

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm hoping to be able to cut (2) 20's down to 10's and hook one per corner of the tractor, then use lighter chains for the loader and whatever's hanging off the back.

Pretty sure I'm going with 3/8" g70, but they were out tonight. They have a truck coming tomorrow, so I'll try again.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Buy USA

I would reccomend you buy all USA not only because you will get the best but because I've heard the DOT and Law Enforcement are more in favor of the higher quality. That includes chain and binders!
Leo

·
Registered
12,592 Posts
But you only asked one, I've been through this so many times with NYSDOT and DOT certified NYS Troopers and I can tell you this, ask three and you will likely get three different answers. I've actually witnessed an NYSDOT inspector and a DOT trooper arguing over how a specific law reads and how it should be enforced.

·
Administrator
17,323 Posts
But you only asked one, I've been through this so many times with NYSDOT and DOT certified NYS Troopers and I can tell you this, ask three and you will likely get three different answers. I've actually witnessed an NYSDOT inspector and a DOT trooper arguing over how a specific law reads and how it should be enforced.
^^^
This!

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
^^^ Which is why I want my load so well presented that Stevie Wonder could say it "looks secure" and not get stopped in the first place. :good2:

I got a 20' of G70 in 3/8" and 1/2" today. I'm going to pin the tails to my D-rings with 1/2" G70 intermediate links, then wrap the axles and bind the middle of the tether. Using aligator clips for the trailer side pin will allow me to store them out of the weather. :)

·
Registered
346 Posts
well actually I asked the DOT direct, a DOT trooper, and my buddy who's a retired trooper, then I gave up, got the agriculture plates, and carry a copy of the rules in the glove compartment. and I'm sure none of that will help if they want to write a ticket:unknown:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts