Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,204 Posts
Don't know about NY but in TN you just take the bill of sale with the VIN# to the DMV to get a plate and they give you what you need.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Found a nice 16ft dual axle flat bed 7000lbs No title has vin for $1000 How hard is to get a home made title in Ny:unknown:
EASY-PEASY! Just go somewhere and get a weigh slip (empty trailer) Go to the DMV and fill out the registration paper as homemade. You can decide on how much you want to register it to carry. The higher the weight, the more it will cost you. I have never been checked for weight on my "home made" or any other trailer.
If you decide not to do that - let me know where this trailer is please. :good2:

·
Registered
740 Posts
I'm in the process of doing the same thing right now... But in Michigan. :good2:

Your local truck stop, junkyard, or feed mill will have a certified scale and be able to print you out a weigh slip.
Take the weight slip and the bill of sale to your dmv.
Pay the nice lady at the counter.
Get your plate and registration.

:thumbup1gif:

It really is that easy... And if not, then it ought to be!

Some states require a DOT inspection for trailers; lights, brakes, etc. Typically this is only for trailers above a certain capacity.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Found a nice 16ft dual axle flat bed 7000lbs No title has vin for $1000 How hard is to get a home made title in Ny:unknown:
Is this a home made trailer? You say it has a vin, that leads me to believe it is factory built. If it is factory built, why does it not have a title? I can understand a home built trailer not having a title, but a factory built one with out a title raises red flags to me. Is it stolen or have a lien on it. If you have not purchased it yet, take the vin to you DMV to check it out first.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is this a home made trailer? You say it has a vin, that leads me to believe it is factory built. If it is factory built, why does it not have a title? I can understand a home built trailer not having a title, but a factory built one with out a title raises red flags to me. Is it stolen or have a lien on it. If you have not purchased it yet, take the vin to you DMV to check it out first.
no is not home made lost title all i would get is a bill of sale but i think that will have to be reg home made

·
Registered
97 Posts
no is not home made lost title all i would get is a bill of sale but i think that will have to be reg home made
Well, it "could be" home made. If it were me, I would not hesitate to register it as home made. Dump the VIN ID plate and move on.

Other way - you know the fella that lost the registration? He can get a replacement if he has the VIN and it was registered to him. :good2: :greentractorride:

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
Lost titles

It's much easier for the current owner to get a replacement title than for you to get a replacement. Either the current owner is seriously lazy or there's something fishy.

Treefarmer

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's much easier for the current owner to get a replacement title than for you to get a replacement. Either the current owner is seriously lazy or there's something fishy.

Treefarmer
His story is that he bought the trailer with a machine as a packege deal -he took the trailer just to bring home that machine from an estate sale Similar trailer with title cost up here 2500 at low end Wonder what would happen if trailer was stolen

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
His story is that he bought the trailer with a machine as a packege deal -he took the trailer just to bring home that machine from an estate sale Similar trailer with title cost up here 2500 at low end Wonder what would happen if trailer was stolen
You could lose the trailer if it were discovered. You could be charged with receiving stolen property. If he has a loan on it you could be charged with party to the transfer of encumbered property. If you took the VIN plate off of it, hiding stolen property and a number of crimes for tampering with a VIN.
If the owner found you before the cops you may also need some new teeth.

I wouldn't think you would get prison time, maybe just a couple months in jail. What do I know I'm just a retired cop?

Check the VIN with DOT.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You could lose the trailer if it were discovered. You could be charged with receiving stolen property. If he has a loan on it you could be charged with party to the transfer of encumbered property. If you took the VIN plate off of it, hiding stolen property and a number of crimes for tampering with a VIN.
If the owner found you before the cops you may also need some new teeth.

I wouldn't think you would get prison time, maybe just a couple months in jail. What do I know I'm just a retired cop?

Check the VIN with DOT.
i think i would not buy it:hi:

·
Official "Groovie" Dude
5,663 Posts
Most estates are sold at auction and sold with titles if required or the buyer is made aware that no title exists.

As MDrew said have the DOT run the VIN or maybe even check with a local police station.

You really cannot claim homemade and then list a vin.

If it were me I'd go through the trouble of getting a title and if I couldn't get one I'd walk away.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I'm with the train of thought to check out the VIN, if it is clear you would be good to go.:thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
97 Posts
Well, it's NY State here we are dealing with. I can tell you, now that the whole story is known, that I went through the exact same thing with a boat and trailer. Boat was fine - no registration on the factory trailer. I was on the up and up with the DMV and did exactly as they suggested. It went in as home made and the DMV issued a VIN and registration to me. This was after they researched the trailer make and serial # in their database. It took 2 days in all.
Again, if you decide to pass on that trailer, let me know where it is and a contact, please. I'm in NY.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
I wouldn't buy that trailer with Gizmo's money. :)

Seriously... Way too easy to end up being out the cost of the trailer, the full difference of what a new one would be, and still be dealing with legalities and fines beyond that. Everything has a price... including not having to deal with headaches.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts

Treefarmer
Each state has their own particular form of hades known as DMV. However, the seller may not want to pay any back personal property tax on it or maybe fees for letting the registration fail. You see a lot of "lost titles" in Texas and down here in NC I think for those reasons. I am thinking in NC where I live they are not wanting to pay the personal property tax on it so...it also could be stolen as well, especially since the price is "right". The seller's story seems somewhat legit however.

Buyer Beware. I would do due diligence and then decide how much hassle at DMV do you want to deal with. Seems like a great deal if it's legit. :cheers:

·
Registered
969 Posts
If you have a friend in the used car business, you go thru a bogus auction.

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,204 Posts
After we moved here to TN back in '92 I bought a trailer. Here you don't have to have a lic. plate if you stay in the state. Many years later I wanted to use it to go out of state so I went to the DMV to get a plate. All I had was a bill of sale with the date I bought it. I was told that I would have to pay all the way back to the date I bought the trailer for the plate. She was kind enough to me and only made me pay for the last 2 years and gave me a plate. Ever since I got a tag every year. Cheaper that way for me here in TN. I've never had a title, still don't.

·
Premium Member
7,995 Posts
After we moved here to TN back in '92 I bought a trailer. Here you don't have to have a lic. plate if you stay in the state. Many years later I wanted to use it to go out of state so I went to the DMV to get a plate. All I had was a bill of sale with the date I bought it. I was told that I would have to pay all the way back to the date I bought the trailer for the plate. She was kind enough to me and only made me pay for the last 2 years and gave me a plate. Ever since I got a tag every year. Cheaper that way for me here in TN. I've never had a title, still don't.
Levi, - why don't you have a permanent tag. When we moved to TN and I plated our trailer I was given a "semi" tag for the trailer. $95 and done.

I'd vote with everyone for running a DMV check on the VIN. They may even give you the form for the PO to fill out for a lost title that you could turn in when you went to register it.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts