Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've got a heavy dual axel car hauler trailer that I bought to carry my 4010 MCUT. Pulls great, but is a flatbed and I'd like to put rails on it so I can haul gravel, wood ect. I've noticed two different styles of rails and was curious in your thoughts of their respective advantages. One, the back ends flush with the back of the trailer, and the other angles down the last 3' or so. I got some 5"x3/16" angle iron for the job and am a decent welder. Doing the job will be the easy part.

The pics aren't my trailer, just the 2 rails.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

I've also noticed that some have the upright sticks like an A frame on the frame of the trailer and others are welded flat to it. Are there advantages to either or is it just preferences of the builder?

·
Premium Member
7,507 Posts
I would want stake pockets with a full length "rub" rail (same height as deck) that would be heavy enough to use chains or heavy ratchet straps on.
You could make wood panels to fit the stake pockets to haul gravel etc.
I feel raised rails would be a "pain" to climb over getting on and off the trailer and might impede oversized loads if the need for them arose.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Already have those. I want rails. I think the iron I've got is plenty heavy to strap to. It looks slightly thicker than what the trailer is made from and it's a 7000 rated trailer. It's also nearly 8' wide and there is plenty room on either side of my MCUT to walk out.

·
Premium Member
4,724 Posts
I would want stake pockets with a full length "rub" rail (same height as deck) that would be heavy enough to use chains or heavy ratchet straps on.
You could make wood panels to fit the stake pockets to haul gravel etc.
I feel raised rails would be a "pain" to climb over getting on and off the trailer and might impede oversized loads if the need for them arose.
I agree with the removable boards in stake pockets. I would also want them going all the way to the back same the height. It just makes it easier to unload out the back and not over the side where you don’t want it spilling. The only disadvantage is it makes it easier for someone to load the back heavy. I have a 14k dump which is 14’ x 83” and has 2’ side. When loaded to capacity which is 9500# of gravel they dump a bucket in and you can still see the floor in all four corners. Gravel gets heavy fast. Hauling dirt you can load it pretty evenly to the top and it is at or just past capacity. I mention this only because the stake boards will not be weak because you will not be able to put enough gravel in it to break them. Mulch doesn’t weigh enough to hurt them.

The other advantage of removable boards is while you still can’t put anything wider than the inside of the fenders on it you can load a car but with sides you can’t open the door.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not really planning on moving a car with it.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
I'm happy as a clam that my equipment trailer has stake pockets and NOT a fixed rail. Gives me flexibility. I built nice solid wood sides for when I need to haul loose stuff and they stay off when I haul tractors or other items I strap down. To me, having fixed rails would be very limiting. You could never load pallets on the trailer with them, for one thing. And if they aren't solid then you still have to add panels for hauling dirt, rock, gravel, etc.

That said, if you're set on rails then build them square. I see no reason to angle them down in back. That looks weird to me and I see no value in it.

Rob

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
What does your trailer look like? :dunno:

I was looking at CL last week, there was a complete 8 foot dump body,,, with hoist.
It was about $400,,

If I had a flatbed trailer, I would have purchased that body, and made it a removable dump.
The dump body could be removed like a slide-in camper on a pickup.
4 jacks, a few pins,, and drive away.

If you want to move gravel, you will do it with a flatbed trailer,,,, ONCE! :flag_of_truce:

You either need a dump trailer,, or, have the material delivered.
A removable body would not be that much more work and trying to whip up some set of sides that work.
IMHO,, :good2:

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
If you want to move gravel, you will do it with a flatbed trailer,,,, ONCE! :flag_of_truce:

You either need a dump trailer,, or, have the material delivered.
Until you discover that you can drive your tractor up onto the trailer via the ramps and scoop all the dirt/gravel/sand out that way. :bigthumb:

Rob

·
Premium Member
7,507 Posts

Still an option (moving a car) I would not want to lose. You never know when you might need to move a car. I have hauled plenty. Most that would not move until repaired

·
Premium Member
4,724 Posts

Ha. That’s the thing about moving a car on it. None of us plan on it.:laugh:

·
Premium Member
4,724 Posts
I'm happy as a clam that my equipment trailer has stake pockets and NOT a fixed rail. Gives me flexibility. I built nice solid wood sides for when I need to haul loose stuff and they stay off when I haul tractors or other items I strap down. To me, having fixed rails would be very limiting. You could never load pallets on the trailer with them, for one thing. And if they aren't solid then you still have to add panels for hauling dirt, rock, gravel, etc.

That said, if you're set on rails then build them square. I see no reason to angle them down in back. That looks weird to me and I see no value in it.

Rob
Very nice looking, truck, tractor, trailer and building.:good2:

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Very nice looking, truck, tractor, trailer and building.:good2:
Thanks!! I'm loving them all and putting them all to great use. I've done a ton of stuff with that combo you see parked there, just in the last year.

Rob

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Until you discover that you can drive your tractor up onto the trailer via the ramps and scoop all the dirt/gravel/sand out that way. :bigthumb:

Rob
True.

What's left of it, anyhow. :)

With many trailers, you have a wooden deck that's made of planks. There are gaps that dirt can fall through. With some car haulers, they are little more than a "track" down each side with nothing in the middle at all.

Exactly what you can do with a particular trailer is governed by how that trailer is built.

·
Registered
733 Posts
If you want to haul material then you would want the rails squared off at the back so you can put a door across the back to keep them material in.

I personally wouldn't want permanent rails on my car hauler as I often put pallets on it. However I'm lucky that I have three trailers, one of which is a smaller equipment trailer that has rails and I find it very handy to have the rails. The third trailer is a dump trailer, not often used but WAY too handy for dump runs and picking up gravel for the driveway to parts with.

Bear in mind that gravel and loam is VERY heavy. If your car hauler has regular 3500# axles and you build your sides 4ft high and 16ft long you cann't fill it full of material. A yard of gravel or loam is about 2500-3000# per yard so you'd want to keep it under 2 yards. Thats not much when doing a big job. Faster/easier to just get it delivered.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
If you want to haul material then you would want the rails squared off at the back so you can put a door across the back to keep them material in.

I personally wouldn't want permanent rails on my car hauler as I often put pallets on it. However I'm lucky that I have three trailers, one of which is a smaller equipment trailer that has rails and I find it very handy to have the rails. The third trailer is a dump trailer, not often used but WAY too handy for dump runs and picking up gravel for the driveway to parts with.

Bear in mind that gravel and loam is VERY heavy. If your car hauler has regular 3500# axles and you build your sides 4ft high and 16ft long you cann't fill it full of material. A yard of gravel or loam is about 2500-3000# per yard so you'd want to keep it under 2 yards. Thats not much when doing a big job. Faster/easier to just get it delivered.
Mulch is similar in weight, too. And I agree that the extra $50 or so you'll typically pay for delivery is 100% worth it when you're doing a job that requires more than a pickup truck bed full... No wear and tear on your equipment, no hassle of load/unload, no gas costs, none of your time spent driving back and forth...

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Sounds like you want a pipe trailer (that's what I call them). They seem to be very popular in Texas with contractors that like to throw all kinds of equipment etc in there that needs strapping down. I have seen them made with 2-3 inch pipe or angle iron. I agree don't taper it down in the back. Like others I prefer an open deck since I like to haul cars or things with wheels.

My utility trailer has a pipe rail around it. My only complaint is the lack of places to hook straps too. I think whatever you make the rail out of make sure you incorporate places you can hook a strap too or make sure your deck has some tie-down rings. Good luck with your project. :bigbeer:

·
Registered
733 Posts
My utility trailer has a pipe rail around it. My only complaint is the lack of places to hook straps too. I think whatever you make the rail out of make sure you incorporate places you can hook a strap too or make sure your deck has some tie-down rings. Good luck with your project. :bigbeer:
I found ratchet straps that have a free floating ring on them. You wrap the strap around rail and then hook it onto the ring. Lets you hook a ratchet strap almost anywhere.

·
Premium Member
1,676 Posts
I found ratchet straps that have a free floating ring on them. You wrap the strap around rail and then hook it onto the ring. Lets you hook a ratchet strap almost anywhere.
Do tell more about where you found these ratchet straps with "free floating ring on them"....

Thanks

Sincerely

1 - 20 of 31 Posts