Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any suggestions on ramps for my new trailer? I plan on using it primarily to move my ZTM and 3025e. It has a lip on the back where it looks like ramps lock in and can slide side to side.

Also, it has electric brakes, truck does not have a brake controller, if I am only planning on hauling up to 2 tons would you recommend I add a brake controller to my 2011 1/2 ton Silverado?

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,757 Posts
That is a loaded question. If it is an extended cab or four door with some wheel base 5,000 isn’t terrible. The only problem is an emergency stop because the trailer will pass you and that is never good. I would add the brake controller, it is easy and not very pricey. Much less than the alternatives. Truck, trailer and tractor replacement would be a bad day.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Last time I added a brake control to my 2005 Suburban, they had a wiring harness plug in that went to a module under steering column. Super easy, just plug and make good connections to wires on controller. Only mistake I made was testing it before I was done and popped a fuse. Spent more time trying to find that one. It was under the hood. :banghead:

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
Normally, new trailers come with ramps. Check on the right side just back of the wheels to see if there are ramps slid in under the floor.

Dave

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Normally, new trailers come with ramps. Check on the right side just back of the wheels to see if there are ramps slid in under the floor.

Dave
This model does not include ramps. No idea why. They had about 20 on the lot, same trailer, my guess is they didn’t think I would need ramps.

·
Super Moderator
4,900 Posts
This model does not include ramps. No idea why. They had about 20 on the lot, same trailer, my guess is they didn’t think I would need ramps.
You bought their "LD" series trailer. They list it on their web site as the econo model. Essentially stripped of any features to get a rock bottom price. It shouldn't be to difficult to fab up something sturdy. I kinda like the ladder style covered with expanded metal.

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
Consider your tractor investment here. You don't even want to think about hauling your tractor without having a brake controller on the tow vehicle. Not to mention safety, nor what the local troopers will hit you with if you have a wreck.

Dave

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
I just looked that trailer up on their web site and was very surprised that it listed a GVWR of only 4500#. WOW!!!!! That should be 7000#. If you subtract the empty weight of probably around 2000#, that only leaves a hauling capacity of 2500#. Empty weight could be a little less since it is only 16ft long. You will have to look at this carefully to make sure it meets your hauling needs.......

Dave

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I just looked that trailer up on their web site and was very surprised that it listed a GVWR of only 4500#. WOW!!!!! That should be 7000#. If you subtract the empty weight of probably around 2000#, that only leaves a hauling capacity of 2500#. Empty weight could be a little less since it is only 16ft long. You will have to look at this carefully to make sure it meets your hauling needs.......

Dave
It’s odd they don’t state the empty trailer weight. Dealer stated you can haul up to 4,500 pounds on this trailer.

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
It’s odd they don’t state the empty trailer weight. Dealer stated you can haul up to 4,500 pounds on this trailer.

I suspect I don't have to tell you that GVWR means Gross Vehicle Weight Rating. Therefore the 4500# shown on their web site means that includes both empty trailer weight and any load on it. There is a fly in the ointment somewhere here and it is early enough that you could return it if necessary. Maybe a call to the manufacturer is in order to determine why they say 4500# GVWR on their web site if the dealer says you can haul 4500#. Since this is an "economy" trailer, maybe they took some shortcuts somewhere and therefore reduced the weight rating.

Dave

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I suspect I don't have to tell you that GVWR means Gross Vehicle Weight Rating. Therefore the 4500# shown on their web site means that includes both empty trailer weight and any load on it. There is a fly in the ointment somewhere here and it is early enough that you could return it if necessary. Maybe a call to the manufacturer is in order to determine why they say 4500# GVWR on their web site if the dealer says you can haul 4500#. Since this is an "economy" trailer, maybe they took some shortcuts somewhere and therefore reduced the weight rating.

Dave
I’ll reach out to the dealer and call him out on it. I’m happy with the purchase. My tractor is under 2500# so should be good to go.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Add the brake controller to your silverado. You will be glad that you did in a panick stop. Specially in the rain. Your silverado at full load capacity of the trailer will push your truck down the road on wet pavement in a panick stop.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Ramps for a trailer like that can be fairly simple. My trailer also has the channel at the back where the ramps 'clip' onto to keep them in place. The ramps are slide-outs. They look something like this picture. Easy to make if you have welding skills.

Rob

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
I was thinking some more about that last night. They showed the brakes as an option, so maybe the 4500# is how the rate it without brakes.

Dave

Sent from my Samsung Note using Tapatalk

·
Registered
913 Posts

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
Also, it has electric brakes, truck does not have a brake controller, if I am only planning on hauling up to 2 tons would you recommend I add a brake controller to my 2011 1/2 ton Silverado?

Thanks in advance.

heck yeah.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
These are the ramps that came with my trailer,,,

They are stored on the side of the trailer, held by a CAT I hitch pin,,,

Simple construction, a piece of tread plate, formed up and welded in the corners,,
these ramps are easily able to support double what you plan on carrying on your trailer.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That trailer setup for the cub is great. Thanks for the advice everyone. I don’t have a welder but FIL gave me a list of metal to buy to make the ramps. Hopefully we can weld brackets under the trailer for ramp storage.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts