Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Administrator
18,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The tires on my 10k Big Tex utility trailer are 11 years old, and as usual there is plenty of tread left but they are starting to crack a bit and making me nervous since I have a long trip planned soon.

They are Carlisle Bias Ply ST225/75/D15 mounted on the typical white 5-spoke steel wheels.

Is the upgrade to Radials worth it?
What brands are good nowadays? Everything seems to made in China and the RV forums are littered with horror stories.

My plan is to mount them myself, and I'll add DynaBeads to balance them even though most trailer tires are never balanced.

·
Registered
937 Posts
I say that the upgrade to radials is definitely worth it. Bias are fine as long as they never get low on air. I have bad luck with tires. With all of the thorns I get my tires will run low and the bias will blow when they get a bit hot. Most all people who buy trailers around here go straight to the tire shop and replace with radials when they purchase a new trailer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
8,133 Posts
Kenny,

I replaced the Multi-Mile tires on my Featherlite enclosed trailer last year. They were 6 years old and had plenty of meat on them but some sidewall cracks were developing. Went with Goodyear Marathon Radials, 225/75-R15 load range D, 8 Ply rated.

Best price I found was Walmart and they had them in stock. Saved about $15 / tire over a local wholesaler who always gives me dealer price. Walmart must sell a lot of trailer tires!

Goodyear Marathon Trailer Tire ST225/75R15 8 Ply - Walmart.com

·
Registered
673 Posts
Reactions: Kennyd and BigJim55

·
Official "Groovie" Dude
5,663 Posts
Just two cents Kenny, I have radials on all my trailers and wouldn't go back to bias. My 5th wheel has the Chinese tires and yes I monitor them like a hawk, but I have over 10k trouble free miles.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Carlisle or Goodyear Marathon radials, only light trailer tires I would consider. Just replaced the original Carlisles on my 2008 7 ton float today with like new take off Marathons. Still had some tread left but sidewalls were really starting to crack and one tire had a belt shift, it is often loaded to the max with a compact track loader as well.

·
Registered
12,469 Posts
kennyD-my mid Atlantic 7,000 trailer had the bias tires on too, ran them for 14yrs, before i changed over to radials, the bias tires was down to Atlanta, Ga., and back hauled a 2n ford tractor back for a friend, lost a wheel bearing somewhere between Winchester, Va., and home here. no-i wasn't pulling it, a friend was, only time i loaned my trailer, cause i was gonna go along with him, but at the last minute, his wife had to go along, and he asked if i would stay home-:banghead: :nunu::nunu::nunu::nunu:boy was i peowed but my dad knew his dad all there lives, so i couldn't back out then.

anyways-what i found with radials is--trailer will definitely roll along easier-I think. con's- I think it likes to roll back and forth loaded. but i got used to that after a season of hauling my tractors around. 2 yrs ago i paid roughly $100 per tire at the tire shop i deal with.

aw-yeah-I'm gonna steal ur idea of how u welded ur tie downs, i showed my boy the welder, and we are going to weld a flat piece to my up rights, and weld the tie downs like u did. i have missed having good tie downs all these yrs., so thanks for the idea--big jim

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
Go with the radials. You will not regret it. The heavier the load the greater the advantage of the radials. Yes, they are a little more :gizmo: but they are worth it. At least you do not have 8 tires on your trailer to replace like my trailer does.

Dave

Reactions: Kennyd and BigJim55

·
Registered
740 Posts
Any advice in searching for new-take off tires?

Does anyone know of commercial-grade re-treads being made in smaller sizes? :hide:
(I know on other forums I've been on, this is a controversial subject. But I have close to, if not more than a million miles of experience driving on re-treads without a single blow-out which wouldn't have also taken out a normal tire. Like any tire, the key is to not neglect basic maintenance or overload them.)

My little 4x8 utility trailer has 18 year old tires on it. And even though I haven't had to put air in them for many years, I'm starting to worry about their sidewalls.

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Registered
170 Posts
Need new tires too eh

Im also looking to replace my tires on my trailer too. I built the trailer in 2002 hasn't seen many miles but tires are cracking bad and weathered eh Looking at maybe buying these Towmax or Towstar ST205/75R15 LRD 8 Ply Trailer Tire anyone try these?

Attachments

·
Administrator
18,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Searching the RV forums it seems the Goodyears or a brand called Maxxis are the most popular, I think that's where I'll focus my searching.

Thanks all for the suggestions!

Jim, when your ready for your d-rings let me know, I can get you a good price on them.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Any advice in searching for new-take off tires?

Does anyone know of commercial-grade re-treads being made in smaller sizes? :hide:
(I know on other forums I've been on, this is a controversial subject. But I have close to, if not more than a million miles of experience driving on re-treads without a single blow-out which wouldn't have also taken out a normal tire. Like any tire, the key is to not neglect basic maintenance or overload them.)

My little 4x8 utility trailer has 18 year old tires on it. And even though I haven't had to put air in them for many years, I'm starting to worry about their sidewalls.
The only reason I was able to get my hands on take off trailer tires was due to my friends tire shop putting the wrong size on his horse trailer and his wife not noticing when she picked it up :good2:
I'm a Truck & Coach Technician and have found that recap or retread tires smaller than 22.5" wheel diameter don't last. The higher RPM at highway speeds tends to cause them to self destruct.

·
Registered
23,037 Posts
Im also looking to replace my tires on my trailer too. I built the trailer in 2002 hasn't seen many miles but tires are cracking bad and weathered eh Looking at maybe buying these Towmax or Towstar ST205/75R15 LRD 8 Ply Trailer Tire anyone try these?
I love your trailer setup! You just gave me some good ideas on how I will proceed with my next trailer.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Kenny,

I have been around and around on this subject. My parents had 3 (two year old) Carlisle ST tires go in one trip to FL. They swore off Carlisle tires (did get Carlisle to buy back the tires after a long fight). At that time, they went with the Goodyear Marathons. Since then, their current trailer had Marathons on it and they just had a blowout on their most recent trip. The big problem with RVs is that these cheap manufacturers tend to spec the tires to be running at about 90% load at all times. This is not the same with a utility trailer. My 5th wheel was build in '08 with chinabomb (Greenball, somehow connected to Carlisle) LT tires (LRE radials). I lost one at about 6 years old. Sudden fail, sounded like a gunshot. I replaced with same spec Goodyear LT tires from Sam's club.

For your requirements, I would still be open to the ST tires. Part of the theory is that the ST tires have a stiffer sidewall. At anything short of max pressure, the radials tend to be softer. If you decide to go ST, make sure you run the numbers before you buy and mount yourself. It defies logic, but often you can get complete assemblies with new white rims for the same price as just the tires.

Run the numbers on your existing tires. If they are at or near max load with your expected max load in the trailer, you may also want to consider going up a load range. I found out after I bought my LRE Goodyears for my trailer that someone makes a LR F in an ST. I would have considered that if I had come across it.

The other challenge, although not as dramatic on an equipment/utility trailer, is that they don't always have the same tire size in both ST and radial options. This just adds another variable to the discussion.

Oh, and here is an interesting one. Most LRE tires call for 80 PSI. Some of the chinabombs require 90 PSI for the max tire load rating. WTH is that about????

Lee

·
Registered
170 Posts
It works real good eh Iv never broken down the sides yet but the option is there if needed the 1023 just fits under the tarp & bows eh

I love your trailer setup! You just gave me some good ideas on how I will proceed with my next trailer.

·
Administrator
18,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Kenny,

I replaced the Multi-Mile tires on my Featherlite enclosed trailer last year. They were 6 years old and had plenty of meat on them but some sidewall cracks were developing. Went with Goodyear Marathon Radials, 225/75-R15 load range D, 8 Ply rated.

Best price I found was Walmart and they had them in stock. Saved about $15 / tire over a local wholesaler who always gives me dealer price. Walmart must sell a lot of trailer tires!

Did you take the trailer to them, or just the rims?

Your correct on the price, they seem to be the best and it looks like $12 to mount with 4 new stems.

·
Super Moderator
8,133 Posts

Your correct on the price, they seem to be the best and it looks like $12 to mount with 4 new stems.
Kenny,

I checked stock and was going to pick the tires up and mount & balance myself as I have access to the equipment. But, for another $50 I decided to have them handle it. When you factor in the time, labor, valve stems and used tire disposal it was easier in the long run.

·
Administrator
18,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Kenny,

I checked stock and was going to pick the tires up and mount & balance myself as I have access to the equipment. But, for another $50 I decided to have them handle it. When you factor in the time, labor, valve stems and used tire disposal it was easier in the long run.

Yup I agree... but:

·
Premium Member
7,816 Posts
Kenny,

Does it tell where these are made any where on the tires?

·
Administrator
18,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Does it tell where these are made any where on the tires?

Pretty sure they are China. According to what I've read there are no "ST" tires made in the US anymore :banghead:

Reactions: Zebrafive
1 - 20 of 31 Posts