Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Administrator
20,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What if anything do you use on the wood decking of your trailer? A friend suggested used oil. His trailer looks to be in great shape. It's not slippery, at least when it's dry. I can't say when it's wet. What do you think?

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
I use 50/50 diesel fuel and used diesel oil. I do it on hot days and for the first week, if its wet, it can be slippery. But after that its no different than new wood. I over treat mine I am sure. I do it 4 times a year or so since it sits outside most of the year.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

·
Premium Member
6,098 Posts
I use any quality wood deck sealant once/year, still original treated floor after 20+ years! ~~ Lowell

·
Premium Member
7,898 Posts
Nothing, seven years old and counting. When it needs to be replaced I will get rough sawed oak.

Reactions: Jim Timber

·
Administrator
20,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I ended up using the used low-vis hydraulic oil from my tractor. I used about 2 gallons. The wood soaked it up like a sponge.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1338812207.261974.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1338812228.376492.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1338812253.990466.jpg

I tried using my old hand held weed sprayer to spray the oil. That didn't work. It came out in a stream. It was still too thick to mist out of the nozzle. A bucket and a rag worked out pretty good. Right after I was done the decking was dry. It's not slippery at all. Maybe in a couple of weeks I'll do it again.

·
Administrator
18,464 Posts
That looks great, I should do that to mine as well...but I am to lazy:laugh:

Reactions: ZachinCO

·
Premium Member
2,904 Posts
Looks like that worked out well. Just remember too that the spot that rots will be the spot that doesn't dry which is usually where it makes contact with the metal or where it bolts through the metal so that's why it is nice to pretreat the decking before installing it if possible. The wood can get wet but as long as it dries reasonably well it will weather but not rot.

I've got to build a wood floor and sides for my trailer some day but I was planning on using pressure treated wood so I won't have to do anything to it, but that's just the "Loafer" in me coming out. :lol:

·
Registered
22 Posts
My father in law just puts deck sealant/stain on his 16 foot trailer. It's just pine, and it sits out in the snow all winter and rain all summer. Around the 10 -15 year mark it is just now starting to show signs that the wood needs to be replaced.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,043 Posts
I use 50/50 diesel fuel and used diesel oil. I do it on hot days and for the first week, if its wet, it can be slippery. But after that its no different than new wood. I over treat mine I am sure. I do it 4 times a year or so since it sits outside most of the year.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
I have been using motor oil and diesel fuel on our horse fence for 25 years. Have NOT had to replace and part of the fence due to rot.
I do a mix of approximately 80% oil, 20% fuel. Just enough fuel to make it easy to apply.

Reactions: Jim Timber

·
Administrator
18,464 Posts
This may be a stupid question, but does it matter if it's synthetic oil or not?

·
Administrator
18,464 Posts
I have been using motor oil and diesel fuel on our horse fence for 25 years. Have NOT had to replace and part of the fence due to rot.
I do a mix of approximately 80% oil, 20% fuel. Just enough fuel to make it easy to apply.
I am sending the EPA and the black helicopters your way :lol:

Reactions: Gizmo2

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,043 Posts
This may be a stupid question, but does it matter if it's synthetic oil or not?
Actually that is a good question and I for one don't know the answer to it.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,043 Posts
Reactions: Kennyd

·
Administrator
20,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
190 Posts
oiling the wood

I have used boiled linseed oil for years. I put it in the Hudson sprayer and spray it on. I really hit the underside with alot since road spray etc seems to hit it there. A quick pressure wash is a good idea first. It's amazing how much crud gets on the wood particularly the underside. It's easy to see, clean, and oil the top but the underside sure needs attention from time to time. Luckily I have a deck over so getting under it is a bit easier but jacking up a standard fendered trailer and cleaning/oiling the wood is a good idea. Besides while your at it you can check the wiring, springs, and bearings. A good spring cleaning and check up.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I know I am bringing back a 6 year old thread but this is the only one my search found and it is on point.

I have a new 16’ trailer with a pressure treated wooden deck.
I am wondering if it is fine to leave alone or if it will benefit from some sort of treatment?
Many good ideas in this thread.

I want the deck to last a very long time so I will treat it periodically.

Anyone treat pressure treated decking and have any tips?

·
Administrator
20,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm going to have to replace the decking on my trailer. It's too far gone at this point. Needs new tires too.

I would let your wood dry out some before treating it with anything. Once it's ready, I'm not entirely sure what I would use on it myself. :unknown:

·
Premium Member
2,554 Posts
White oak boards have been on my trailer for 15 years. I'm the second owner. Original owner told me he put boiled linseed oil and mineral spirits mix on every 2-3 yrs. Looked great when I bought the trailer 6 years ago. I have continued the linseed oil and mineral spirits and still today the boards look great. I highly recommend.

·
Premium Member
3,963 Posts
I put Diesel fuel on my wood deck. At first it looks slippery but in a few hours it soaks into the wood and looks good to me. I have had my trailer about 20 years and the Deck is still OK and it is beat on by winter snow and then summer sun all year long. I just mop it on the top till it is even and wet looking. Don't worry it will dry and not get all over you later. PS Cheap too!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts