Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Moved my trailer into the basement garage so the wood stays dry a week or so before I give it a stain/sealing. Ive read about people using used motor oil. I have a 5 gallon pail of used diesel oil. Thoughts on using it versus buying some kind of stain/sealent? Brush it on? Or roll it?
Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
617 Posts
My trailer sits out all year around. I tried stain but didn't seem to last. I painted it last summer with outdoor house paint. I picked a color that looks close to natural wood. I like it and it still looks good a year later.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
35,730 Posts
Moved my trailer into the basement garage so the wood stays dry a week or so before I give it a stain/sealing. Ive read about people using used motor oil. I have a 5 gallon pail of used diesel oil. Thoughts on using it versus buying some kind of stain/sealent? Brush it on? Or roll it?
Thanks!
I've used engine oil many times. I mix a little diesel fuel with it, helps with the application.

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,189 Posts
I used a roller when I put oil on mine.

·
Registered
11,677 Posts
my floor is still good yet-after 16 yrs.:thumbup1gif: never did a thing to the wood, and yeah it sits out all yr. i say it will last another 4 yrs to make it to 20 yrs.

should I of oiled the floor in those yrs:unknown:IDK- maybe:laugh: if it makes it to 20 yrs-and no holes in the floor-i'll be darn happy with it.:good2:

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
The big thing is have he wood be able to dry out when it gets wet. Help it last much much longer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The trailers a 2004 and has had boards replaced. Its a big heavy trailer. GVWR 10,000 lbs. 16 footer. Im the second owner. It gets some sun. But not enough to always dry out. Soo im gonna use the diesel oil method. Thanks for the responses!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
I always use old motor oil, never new motor oil. For some reason, used oil seems to work better. Been about 2-3 years since I oiled my trailer. It will be done this year for sure. I was gathering oil today just for that purpose.

Dave

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
I have a bunch of used hydraulic fluid from my 1025R. I wonder how that would work? Has anyone tried that? :dunno:

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
35,730 Posts
I have a bunch of used hydraulic fluid from my 1025R. I wonder how that would work? Has anyone tried that? :dunno:
I have not.

·
Administrator
20,296 Posts
I have. Meh, can’t really tell much of any difference. I have to re-deck my trailer at this point. Too far gone.

·
Super Moderator
7,887 Posts
When I had my old '88 Hudson 18' 10K trailer I used to spray the oak planking with used motor oil reduced ~25% with diesel fuel. Did it annually and the trailer still has the original oak decking on it.

I'd load a handheld, pump-type garden sprayer with the drain oil / diesel mix and give it a good soaking on a hot day. It would be a bit damp and slippery for a few days but the slick residue would eventually disperse. The trailer now resides with a good friend who's also an IH tractor collector.

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,189 Posts
I put all my engine oil and trans oil in the same 5 gallon bucket. That's what I used, works great.

·
Premium Member
974 Posts
I think I recall that there are warnings on new oil containers to use caution with old motor oil. I remember testing that showed used oil to be cancer causing. Take care during handling. It might be good to remember this if you will be making personal contact with the deck.

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,189 Posts
I think I recall that there are warnings on new oil containers to use caution with old motor oil. I remember testing that showed used oil to be cancer causing. Take care during handling. It might be good to remember this if you will be making personal contact with the deck.
Now days everything causes cancer, it's not stopping me from doing whatever I do until the cancer kills me. :nunu:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Every few years I change out the 5 gallons of hydraulic oil in my John Deere 955 and save a gallon to use on the deck of my trailer. I just pour the used oil from the gallon jug onto the 2 x 8 boards and brush at the same time. I use whatever old 3" or 4" brush I have laying around. It takes about 25 minutes. Be careful for a few days till it soaks in good.

·
Registered
270 Posts
The place I got my new trailer said to use Linseed oil. They are also the manufacturer. But the used oil seems to work and actually looks nice. But my wife was there when I bought it and heard him say that. So for peace in my house I will use the Linseed oil. She worries about protecting everything. Her 2003 Malibu looks like a new car inside and out. So dose our 2001 travel trailer. I have had my tractor a little over a month now and she still won't let me take the plastic off the seat. And she ad the tractor salesman get some cardboard to protect the front bar on the trailer hen we bought it. So linseed oil it will be. And it's a nice tilt bed with a fold down left fender so it can haul my Corvette. So it should look good doing that. That's really what I wanted it for. The new tractor was just an excuse to buy it. :hide:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts