Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In reading about how to safely tie down a tractor to a trailer, most people seem to put four cross chains on the tractor and then chain down the implements. However, when I read the manual for my loader it says to not chain it down. Why would it say that? I have found any guidance one way or another for the FEL.

Operator's Manual OMLVU23711 260 Backhoe
Transporting Tractor With Backhoe
NOTE: Backhoe bucket should be lowered to trailer bed if possible.

1. Put wheel chocks against tractor wheels. Chain tractor securely to trailer bed.

2. Do not attach hold-down chains to any part of the backhoe assembly. Lower the backhoe bucket to the trailer bed, if possible

·
Administrator
17,323 Posts
My interpretation of that statement is that they (JD) does not want you to attach chains to the backhoe assembly for tie-down (or "hold-down" as they wrote) purposes, they want the chains on the tractors frame instead.

·
Premium Member
7,995 Posts
I think Kenny nailed it.

JD wants the tractor secured with chains or straps. So does DOT.

DOT requires that implements also be secured.

I believe that JD is saying not to secure the tractor by strapping or chaining the implements.

To meet DOT's requirements I put a strap across the loader bucket and the backhoe bucket, box blade or bush hog. The strap only serves to secure the implement to the trailer deck. The tractor itself is secured with chains.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
I would agree that the tractor frame is what you want to secure. It is where all the mass is. Also, keep in mind that a FEL is strong and designed to lift loads but probably not a strong for lateral loads. So, lets say you had the tractor secured by the FEL and you were in an accident where someone T-bones the trailer. Pretend somehow the damage was only such that the trailer was damaged. Well you may now have structural damage to the FEL because it isn't designed to take a side force like that. Not likely but it is possible where you could have only had a damaged trailer, you now have a damaged tractor because it wasn't secured properly.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
strapping to the frame

Thanks for the input. I have no problem knowing not to strap the tractor down by the FEL. I just read it that I was not supposed to strap down the FEL and wondered why. It is great to have access to different perspectives. A good friend of mine from PA, when I asked her if she could help me with something, responded "I don't care to". Which to me meant she did not want to. But upon talking with her, I found out that she meant that she did not mind helping. Its all in the point of view.

NOW!

Next question.
Where do you attach your tie downs to your tractor? I cannot find a perfect place, but I think I have found some close ones. (1025r tlb mmm)
This one is good for the front but the webbing does touch the bottom of the frame and i'm concerned about the upward force on the FEL stand front piece that it goes under.
front attach.jpg

this one gets away from most sharp edges but I am concerned about the heat from the exhaust.
front attach1.jpg

There is a nice wide opening in the rear wheel frame but I am concerned about the sharp edges the webbing encounters running under the BH quick attach frame.
rear attach.jpg

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
21,539 Posts
Thanks for the input. I have no problem knowing not to strap the tractor down by the FEL. I just read it that I was not supposed to strap down the FEL and wondered why. It is great to have access to different perspectives. A good friend of mine from PA, when I asked her if she could help me with something, responded "I don't care to". Which to me meant she did not want to. But upon talking with her, I found out that she meant that she did not mind helping. Its all in the point of view.

NOW!

Next question.
Where do you attach your tie downs to your tractor? I cannot find a perfect place, but I think I have found some close ones. (1025r tlb mmm)
This one is good for the front but the webbing does touch the bottom of the frame and i'm concerned about the upward force on the FEL stand front piece that it goes under.
All these compact tractors are tough to tie down in the front with a loader on. I use a pair of axle straps which gives you a little more of an option but still have to be creative....

yellows-golds-keeper-tie-down-straps-bungee-cords-04228-64_1000.jpg

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Not sure about other States.
In Oregon

All loaders ,back hoes , Excavaters...etc.... must have the bucket ( attatched to machine boom) chained/strapped down.

The Big machines (log loaders) have a special stand at rear of lowboy to rest boom on to be secured down.

They can't tuck the boom like the way most excavaters are hauled BECause..the cab has to tilt forward as its too tall to get under the 13.5' limit or whatever it is..hence the stick points strait back and sits on special DOT stand.

I suspect this all came about by a hoe or excavater boom swinging out sideways on a corner and an injury/death was the result.

Lots of guys with traditional excavaters would stack their smaller buckets inside the wide clean up/grading bucket and secure with thumb. Not anymore .

All items must have something on them. FEL bucket is likely exempt if everything else is tied down good.

I prefer chains....yup you lose some paint but there not going to brake. Small price to pay imho.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
All these compact tractors are tough to tie down in the front with a loader on. I use a pair of axle straps which gives you a little more of an option but still have to be creative....
That looks perfect! Thanks Coaltrain.

·
Registered
21,539 Posts
That looks perfect! Thanks Coaltrain.
If you use the axle straps try criss crossing your tie downs then. You will need a tie down point on your trailer that is in just the right place so you are pulling forward but not contacting the tire.

·
Premium Member
2,046 Posts
If you use the axle straps try criss crossing your tie downs then. You will need a tie down point on your trailer that is in just the right place so you are pulling forward but not contacting the tire.
This is so important. Having tie downs in the correct places. You have to ask where some trailer mfgs. have their heads when they place tie downs!!! :banghead:

·
Registered
21,539 Posts
This is so important. Having tie downs in the correct places. You have to ask where some trailer mfgs. have their heads when they place tie downs!!! :banghead:
My next trailer will be ordered with stake pockets every 18” all around for just that reason.

·
Premium Member
2,046 Posts
My next trailer will be ordered with stake pockets every 18” all around for just that reason.
When I rebuilt my 14' utility trailer, I put mine where "I" wanted them and I didn't put them in the floor, I installed mine at the bottom of the sides.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
I fabricated some tie down anchors for the front of my 1025Rs. See this thread for photos and the mount build details.

Kenny (Bolt on Hooks) was closing out some tie down mounts he had produced. However, I don't believe they are compatible with the FEL brush guard, mower deck, or Quick Hitch mounts.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts