Green Tractor Talk banner

Trailering Tractor and Implements

8K views 47 replies 22 participants last post by  VZQHSG 
#1 ·
I have a JD 4066R with multiple implements to trailer to Mississippi. After securing the tractor are you required to strapped the front end loader bucket if it is attached to the loader?

#2 ·
Yes.

Basic rule of thumb is - machine under 10k# needs at least 2 tie downs. Over 10k# needs 4. In addition to that each implement must have its own tie down.

As far as tying down the bucket plus the loader - that’s a tough call.

When I went through a DOT class with the officers who actually do the roadside inspections, we tied the loader down on a skid steer but not the bucket seperately.

I thought it was kind of weird in that the loader on a skid steer is permanent to the machine but the bucket is interchangable.

#6 ·
For any lengthy haul, I would strap it down. It might not be required but I'd rather have too many tie downs than no enough, especially when you hit that unexpected rough road. Just remember to not run chains/straps over hydraulic lines or sharp edges.

#7 ·
Depending on the trailer size you can get the bucket and loader with 1 chain. If you get far enough in front of the bucket and then go through the hole in the loader arms you should be able to bind the chain onto the bucket.

I never worry about the bucket, it's already mounted on the loader securely enough for me.

#9 ·
I strap all 4 corners and then one strap across the bucket. Any other implements usually only get one strap. One thing that some people do not pay much attention to is the strength of the strapping. Some people will just use a 2 inch strap. That will work on a 1025R, but no way will it be strong enough for a 6000# 4066R. I use 4 inch straps with 3/8 chains on each end that have a WLL of 5400# each for a total of 21600#. It is not enough just to allow for the scale weight of the unit. You must also allow for the potential force that could be encountered in a wreck, for example. You don't want that tractor to end up in your back seat, or further forward.

Dave

#12 ·
It may not be required by law , but anything with wheels should be tied down with 4 straps or chains. I use 4 on 600lbs atvs. I have seen a garden tractor, and a sxs come off trailers on 141 this summer because they weren’t tied down properly. I didn’t see the sxs come off, just a group of unhappy people standing around looking at it. I did see the garden tractor come off , driver switchEd lanes, tractor ended up in the ditch, driver just kept going. Not sure how far he went before he figured out he lost his load. Luckily it didn’t cause a major accident.

#13 ·
You will want to educate yourself with the actual regulations for cargo securement in the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration's online driver handbook for cargo securement.

Chapter 1: Fundamentals of Cargo Securement, Chapter 2: General Cargo Securement Requirements, and Chapter 10: Heavy Vehicles, Equipment, and Machinery are the most important sections related to hauling equipment.

The two securing devices at the rear of the equipment are the most important since they must have a combined working load limit (WLL) equal to 80% of the weight of the equipment.

All elements of the vehicle structure and anchor points must be strong enough to withstand the following forces:
  • Forward force: 0.8 g (80%)
  • Rearward force: 0.5.g (50%)
  • Sideways force: 0.5 g (50%)
  • Upward force: 0.2 g (20%)

#15 ·
I think the point of multiple tie downs is redundancy. Sure you can have one chain on a 1025 that would pass all strength requirements, or even two, but if that chain comes loose you’re out of luck.
Four tie downs will hold it on even with multiple failures.
Also, anywhere a strap goes over metal use chain instead or at least some kind of rub through protection. It doesn’t take long for wind and road vibrations to saw a strap in two or at least severely weaken it. Straps and chain are relatively cheap and it only takes a minute or two to add an extra.

#16 ·
The degree of failure needed for a properly secured and anchored load to come loose isn't enough for me to worry about. There's plenty out there that also think a 3500 dually to pull a single axle trailer with a zero turn on it is barely enough.

Straps and machinery don't mix, you're right there. The biggest thing I will use straps on is a SxS or ATV. Tractor, mini-ex, skid steer, etc all deserve and get chains and ratchet binders. I don't use boomers anymore but have in the past. Chain will take a good beating over edges before it becomes an issue.

#19 ·
Whats a Boomer?

#23 ·
Good question. Besides being a term for my generation, and for a nuclear submarine with vertical tubes for launching ICBM’s, and for an elephant’s fart ?

I have heard boomer used for both ratcheting and lever type chain load binders, and also specifically only for the lever type. Anyone know for sure?

#21 ·
If you're ever in an accident it won't matter if you're using the minimum required by law or more. The lawyers will have a field day if equipment comes loose on a trailer or flatbed.

#29 ·
Sorry, I have to disagree with this.

I have never understood the "I'm only going xxx" rationale, doesn't matter on what subject (motorcycle helmet, seat belt, trailer brakes, ect)...things can happen pulling out of your driveway or 1000 miles away from home.

#24 ·
They were called boomers long before ratcheting binders were used.

Dave

#25 ·
Always heard lever binders called boomers

If a tractor is strapped down right and it comes loose, the lawyers will be the least of the worries. Surviving that would be my primary concern.

Then again, a 1025 on a lowboy is much different than a 5 series on a deckover in regards to mass and center of gravity.

#26 ·
Funny, here in the US we need 3/4 ton diesel trucks with 20k GCWR to pull compact tractors around.

Yet in the Autobahn country and elsewhere they seem to have different towing standards... and different towing vehicles!

Funny to look at a Subaru Forester in the US with a 3500 pound towing rating (bicycle rack level) and then look at the euro version with diesel engines and 2 speed transfer cases and half ton truck-like towing capabilies.

#27 ·
Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle
Funny, here in the US we need 3/4 ton diesel trucks with 20k GCWR to pull compact tractors around.

Yet in the Autobahn country and elsewhere they seem to have different towing standards... and different towing vehicles!

Funny to look at a Subaru Forester in the US with a 3500 pound towing rating (bicycle rack level) and then look at the euro version with diesel engines and 2 speed transfer cases and half ton truck-like towing capabilies.

I really like their trailers they use in Europe. A small deck over aluminum trailer would be really handy.
It’s definitely a US/North American thing with having behemoth trucks to tow anything.

#33 ·
True... until something happens. In today's world you cannot ignore that possibility.

#37 ·
There's a difference between safely securing a load and going all ignorant overkill with it.

Reactions: Hall00
#38 ·
I don't believe we can call overkill ignorant. Ignorant is when that load leaves the trailer in an accident.

Dave

#39 ·
I don't believe we can call overkill ignorant
Your right, the more straps one uses the better, it has nothing to do with how the strap may be attached and the function of it( :rolleyes: ).

This guy would be better off with 4 more over the top the car right? Or maybe few less straps placed more strategically.

#41 ·
jj ,pfizer or modern........Cheers..we miss ya

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.