Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have been trailering heavy equipment for a few years now. I have not have an incident yet. Yet. I just upgraded from a 770 to a 3039r cab tractor. I have an 18' 10k trailer that I use.

My question is: tow tractor forward facing or rear facing?? I always did it forward facing, but I read my owners manual for the 3039r, yes I read that thing, and according to Deere you are supposed to tow it backwards due to the possibility of the hood coming open. So I towed it home last night backwards. I HATED IT, I like towing it forward better. And for the smarties out here, I did not drive the truck backwards, I loaded the tractor on the trailer backwards!

What are your thoughts on this? I did a quick search here on the forums, and couldn't seem to find anyone backwards towing.

Also I would like to see where everyone puts their chains on the tractor when they tie them down, so post pictures on this one please. I just want to make sure I am doing it right and fix any problems now, before it becomes an issue.

·
Premium Member
10,067 Posts
I load equipment whichever way sets the weight right. For my tractor, that ends up being loaded facing forward with the rear tires right over the trailer axles.

If you're worried about the hood opening, throw a little strap over it. When I bought my tractor the hood latch didn't work, so I had to do that just to get it home. :laugh:

·
Registered
370 Posts
I trailer our 3038e forward facing & just run a strap diagonally across the hood. I have a small strap just for that. We use an 18' aluminum car hauler and I like the weight distribution better that way.

I use long axle straps on the rear axle as (criss-cross) chain hookup points, front end chains (also criss-cross) either get directly hooked to the frame near the guard mount or to short axle straps at nearly the same location. The fel ends up resting on the taunt chains. The tie down points on the trailer deck are located at the four corners.

Nick

Reactions: Marlin

·
Super Moderator
5,203 Posts

·
Hey, I want a title too!
3,687 Posts
Swampmule, love the ingenuity!!

I load trailers how they balance well.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Nose forward, Rag stuffed in the exhaust.

Strap run through the pin on the front, and a strap through the shackle/clevis on the rear at the draw bar, or through the wheels, and another strap through whatever impliment is mounted.
Have had the Diesel Nazi's stop me for random tax collection a couple times, and have never had an issue, other than having the triangle in the truck, and proper paperwork not chewed up by Voles.

Never worried about the tractor hood. Never have had an issue with it either.

Backing up onto a trailer, gives me the willies, just thinking about it.
NOT going to happen.
The tractor weight on the trailer needs to be positive on the tongue, but just positive.
On our trailers, that are deck over, and steep ramps, it's just silly to back up.

I rack up a couple hundred miles a season, hauling between fields, 18-22 Miles a pop.

·
Registered
770 Posts
I back mine on because it's the only way it fits. Listen to your gut feeling not a book. If I went by the books I wouldn't be able to do half the stuff I do.
View attachment 70282 . View attachment 70290 . View attachment 70298

View attachment 70306 . View attachment 70314 . View attachment 70322

View attachment 70330 . View attachment 70338 . View attachment 70346
Ladles and Jellyspoons...

THAT is how you get 6lbs, of stuff, in a 2lb bag!!!:laugh:

It takes an artist, not an engineer.:bigthumb:

Engineers, would simply resort to a larger trailer.:lol:

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
I got two latches on my hood,,, so my strap count remains zero,,,

Would adding a latch to the hood resolve the issue?? :dunno: It could just be a little piece of chain and a pin in the right spot,,,

·
Registered
770 Posts
I got two latches on my hood,,, so my strap count remains zero,,,

Would adding a latch to the hood resolve the issue?? :dunno: It could just be a little piece of chain and a pin in the right spot,,,
Good point!

A 1" Ratchet strap and a 1' Bungee would do the same.

Just gotta snug things up, and take the force off of the latch.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Why doesn't Deere do it?

The manual for my 1026R says to haul it backwards too.
But when I see a semi load of new SCUT's or CUT'S going down the interstate every one of them are facing forward.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Nick, what do you use as a hood strap? Does it scuff the hood at all? ...
It is just a small (1/2" x 6' ?), non-ratchet, adjustable strap with hook ends. The nylon strap is the only thing making contact & no scuffs to date...

Nick

Reactions: Kordog and BigJim55

·
Registered
754 Posts
I back mine on because it's the only way it fits. Listen to your gut feeling not a book. If I went by the books I wouldn't be able to do half the stuff I do.
View attachment 70282 . View attachment 70290 . View attachment 70298

View attachment 70306 . View attachment 70314 . View attachment 70322

View attachment 70330 . View attachment 70338 . View attachment 70346

WOW!..... I'm speechless! You actually take that trailer loaded like that on public highways?

Let me guess! Your Brother is your insurance salesman.

·
Premium Member
5,088 Posts
WOW!..... I'm speechless! You actually take that trailer loaded like that on public highways?

Let me guess! Your Brother is your insurance salesman.
:lolol:

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Registered
937 Posts
I back mine on because it's the only way it fits. Listen to your gut feeling not a book. If I went by the books I wouldn't be able to do half the stuff I

I like you man. There are many on this forum who swear that you need two axels, brakes on both, 16', 10k, and 4 chains on all ends to haul a 1025. You know how to get s&&t done!

I even used to just carry mine in the back of my truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
620 Posts
Hello, I have been trailering heavy equipment for a few years now. I have not have an incident yet. Yet. I just upgraded from a 770 to a 3039r cab tractor. I have an 18' 10k trailer that I use.

My question is: tow tractor forward facing or rear facing?? I always did it forward facing, but I read my owners manual for the 3039r, yes I read that thing, and according to Deere you are supposed to tow it backwards due to the possibility of the hood coming open. So I towed it home last night backwards. I HATED IT, I like towing it forward better. And for the smarties out here, I did not drive the truck backwards, I loaded the tractor on the trailer backwards!

What are your thoughts on this? I did a quick search here on the forums, and couldn't seem to find anyone backwards towing.

Also I would like to see where everyone puts their chains on the tractor when they tie them down, so post pictures on this one please. I just want to make sure I am doing it right and fix any problems now, before it becomes an issue.
KD - My BIL has a large flatbed that he tows with his pickup. When we hauled my '05 JD4720 open station/loader 100 miles to the farm in Aug. 2014, we backed the unit onto the trailer. We had a huge advantage of having a professional driver on scene at the JD equipment dealer who spotted the unit on the trailer and assisted with the chain/boom placement. I have no photos handy, but as I recall, the hydraulic lift arms were chained down; the front chains were wrapped around the axles.

We were advised that hauling the tractor nose first was a no-no, as the triangular slow moving farm equipment sign needed to be facing forward so as not to perturb the police needlessly. I was on the seat within minutes of arrival and unchaining and joyfully drove the tractor/loader off of the trailer.

Brian

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Hey, I want a title too!
3,687 Posts
Saw this today driving down the road, thought of this topic.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1446092773.102253.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
If you look at my profile (don't know how to link to it in a message). You will see a picture of my 3039R on the trailer. It is secured in 4 corners with 5/16" Transportation chain with ratchet binders. I also used a 5,000 lb rated Home Depot ($10) strap across the FEL.

This configuration was to take it home from the dealer. I doubt I'll need to load the tractor, fel, BB and cutter anytime soon.

MajorJeff

·
Registered
523 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts