Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any advice on a transporting trailer for my x580 with the 47" snowblower installed something that I don't need several ramps to load and unload? I would like to just drive on and drive off.
Thanks Keith

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Not sure exactly what you're envisioning... You'll need some type of ramp no matter what. But for simple you may be looking for a tilt-deck trailer (where the trailer becomes the ramp) or one of those utility trailers with a built-in tailgate that folds down to be the ramp. The latter is what I'd recommend. They are fairly inexpensive (compared to tilt-deck trailers anyway) and easy to use. You'll just have to make sure the length of the tailgate ramp and height of the deck are suck that your tractor setup can drive up without hanging up. If you go with an aluminum utility trailer like that make sure you get one with sides that are attached solidly. I had a neighbor with one that had removable sides and it rattled so loudly you could hear him coming down the street two blocks away.

I have one similar to this one (except the sides are rail slats, not solid) and it works great for my x758 and I used it all the time with my 345. The ramp is slightly too short though for correct angle so it works best to load from an incline if I've got the snowblower on the tractor.

Rob

·
Registered
115 Posts
I"m in the process of designing mine to build myself. I have a JD420 with a 47" blower and a rear weight bar that measures 11'-1", and I also have a 60" deck so I'm building a 6' x 12', that will tilt hopefully by gravity if my calculations are correct. I found a free set of plans that I will alter to suite what I am doing. Here they are if you are interested.

http://utilitytrailerplans.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/Red-Wing-Steel-Works-6x10-Utility-Trailer-Plans-011113.pdf

I will make it a little beefier using 2x3x3/16 for the side rails, 2x2x1/4 for the cross supports, and 2x2x3/16 for the upper rails. Then I will hinge the draw bar for tilt, and after it is built I will decide if it needs a cylinder to tilt it or if it will tilt by itself, and what to use for a latch. Also going to add an "L" track system for tie downs and for use as a utility trailer, and I have a 2500LB winch that I will mount to the tongue in case Little John has a bad day and can't load under his own power. Oh and I will skip the ramp tailgate and just have a drop in gate since it shouldn't need a ramp. I also ordered a 4" drop axle so it will be lower to the ground.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
I have a 6X12 landscape trailer that would work perfectly. We use it to haul my son’s cub.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
289 Posts
When I had the 318 and 49 blower, I moved it with a 6x12 snowmobile tilt trailer. Basically the axle centerline is at the mid-point of the deck.

One night when I was bringing it home, it got out from under me, as I hadn't paid enough attention to how the load was balanced on the deck. Fortunately, nobody was in front of me when I hammered it to straighteen everything out. That was the last time I used a single axle trailer.

I bought a 12' Superior tandem axle landscape trailer that I added a 2' dovetail, and used the tailgate ramp. Great trailer for the 420, and while but it was rugged enough to use with the 955, it was too short to effectively balance the load.

This morning, I picked up a Kaufman 22' tilt deck equipment trailer. It has a stationary 8' deck on the nose and a 14' tilt deck. Now I have enough trailer to move both the 420 and the 955 at the same time.:bigthumb:

Dave

·
Registered
34 Posts
Any advice on a transporting trailer for my x580 with the 47" snowblower installed something that I don't need several ramps to load and unload? I would like to just drive on and drive off.
Thanks Keith
I have a tilt trailer for my 4120. I love it as the back 16' tilt and I just drive the tractor on. Once the tractor gets past the pivot point the trailer levels and it chain/strap my tractor on. I have used this for about 6 years and it works great. Wouldn't trade it for nothing!

·
Premium Member
1,122 Posts
12' single axle trailer with my 1025R , but is more than enough to haul my X580 as well . Get a trailer big enough to haul your next Deere once you realize you should have bought bigger !!!! lol :good2:

Attachments

·
Registered
589 Posts
Very happy with my 5x10 Stealth Rice Trailer.

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
I love my rice trailer....abit bigger but same built in cargo box.
Mine is a 16’ car hauler:bigthumb:

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I have a Texas Bragg utility trailer. It's 7x12 and rated for 3500 lbs. It has a drop down ramp/gate and is great for lawn/garden tractors. I used haul my 2210 on it before I sold that tractor. Now it mostly sits because it is way too small for my 3025E. I will use it if I need to take my ZTR or ATV's to the shop.

I bought this one because it was the sturdiest built utility trailer I could find at the time of purchase. The ones TSC and the big box stores sell were too lightly built for my needs. When you go shopping pay particular attention to the frame rails and the cross beams. Some manufacturers use very thin angle iron that will not last under a lot of heavy use. If all you ever intend to haul is your X580 then a single axle is sufficient but if you think you will haul bigger and heavier items (particularly if you go on long trips) then a tandem axle trailer is well worth it and cheap insurance if you ever have a flat while trailering.

I have been lucky with my utility trailer and have not had a tire go down. With my haulmark enclosed trailer, I have had a lot of tires go down over the years. With the tandem axle you will barely feel a tire go down and won't lose control of the trailer. So something to think about.

·
Premium Member
5,809 Posts
Last spring I sold my 4' x 8' Snowco: Tractors 2017 032.JPG
And the 10' Woodworth ( a local builder): HPIM1211.JPG
Replaced them with a 10' Hillsboro: Tractors 2018 076.JPG that I can pull with the Gator if needed.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Look for a utility trailer with drop down rear gate/ramp at least 6 x 12.
6 foot wide will allow you to load your x580 with the mower deck on without having to hold up the discharge deflector. 12 foot long will give you enough fore/aft wiggle room to get your tongue weight right when loading with the blower attached.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Look for a utility trailer with drop down rear gate/ramp at least 6 x 12.
6 foot wide will allow you to load your x580 with the mower deck on without having to hold up the discharge deflector. 12 foot long will give you enough fore/aft wiggle room to get your tongue weight right when loading with the blower attached.
But would I be able to drive up the ramp with the snowblower attached with out it the blower bottoming out on the ramp before the front wheels or even backing it on without it dragging on the ground?

·
Registered
640 Posts
Do a search for JLG triple L trailers. They are hydraulic, and the floor lowers to allow their use for scissor lifts.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I have a 14ft utility with a dove tail and fold down ramp. I really like the length as I can fit almost anything on there without issue. I also like the dovetail as it makes the ramp shorter for less wind resistance while towing and easier to load my tractor with equipment on the three point without dragging on the ground.

Its a small thing but I would look at making sure there are enough tie down points or be comfortable with adding them. I have added 7 on each side of my frame rail (not in the pics) as the stock ones never seemed to be in the right position.

I also agree with other comments about not going shorter then 12ft, you will run out of space quickly.

Attachments

·
Registered
115 Posts
I like the duck tail idea. My axle showed up Thursday so I'll assemble it this morning and see what it's going to look like with tires and a side rail clamped to it. My basic plan is 6x12 and tilt it with no ramp, but I'll make the final decision after I look at the mock up. I went threw my metal pile and had most of what I need, so it should be a fairly cheap build. I paid $324 for the 3500# drop axle with springs, ubolts and 5-5.5 hubs. $198 for 2 sticks of 2x3x3/16 angle and one stick of 2x2x1/4. And I will need to buy a hitch, a jack and lighting, and I haven't looked around for decking yet. I'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Well I received the axle and hardware, Mocked it up last weekend and sorted threw my steel pile. So far it looks like I only needed one 20' 2x2x1/4 angle and two 20 foot 2x3x3/16 angle.
I cut up all the stock for the bed and tack welded the 6x12 portion of the bed together. I used the 2x3x3/16 angle for the sides and the 2x2x1/4 angle for the crosses, with the exception of the rear cross which is the 2x3x3/16.
I also decided to give the tractor a little breathing room and will bump out the front with a trapazoid 20" long with a 48" front that will fit the 47" blower if I need to move forward to balance the load. that will also be the 2x3 angle. ALso decided to make the sides and front 17" high, that will leave a 12" space if I decide to fill in the sides. And with that a fold down tailgate the same height to act as a longer deck when it tilts. Little bit better angle for loading.

If anyone is interested I will post Pics and measurements before I deck it.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Been busy but finally got back to some welding on the trailer. I dropped the side height to 16 incase I want to fill in to haul leaves or dirt, that will allow me to use 1 4x8 sheet of anything I want to do both sides and the front. clamped the axle under it to see what it looked like tilted, without the deck wood and the side posts inplace it's only 15" off the ground,+ 1-1/2" decking, so it's a pretty nice incline. Should load easily.I'll make a hinged tailgate at the 16" height and taper it to the ground when open. Oh and that 15"
deck height is with 33" rubber, it will be even less with 29' to 30" tires
https://www.greentractortalk.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=672702&stc=1&d=1550437141

IMG_20190217_132642991.jpg (4.18 MB)

IMG_20190217_132646870.jpg (3.90 MB)

Attachments

·
Registered
47 Posts
Trailer

Thanks Keith
Take a look here. This is about the only type of trailer that will work as you wish. I have one of these H&H and an X590 with the 47 blower. The blower does not raise very high and though I have not tried it I am certain it will just slide up the floor to load and slide off to unload. The link is for reference only as there are other manufactures that build this type.

HH Trailers

1 - 19 of 19 Posts