Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to talk my self into a dump trailer, I rented one awhile back and thought I would like to own one but wondering if anyone uses one to transport there scut to and from odd jobs, I see they come with ramps but how ergonomic is it loading and strapping your equipment down inside. A 6x12 is really all I need as far as debris or material but with the thoughts and experiences of people here that may change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
5,195 Posts
A 12-foot trailer is probably fine if you are only moving the tractor itself. If you want to be able to take attachments with you to make that tractor useful, a 12-foot trailer will seldom be adequate. I wouldn't go shorter than 16-foot.

Reactions: Ray_PA and BigJim55

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Yeah I'm not sure I have the truck to haul the trailer I should have but these dumps are very handy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Registered
740 Posts
You can't (easily) add length to a short trailer, but you can always not fill a bigger one up to the brim.

With EVERY trailer I have bought or built, I have always gone a size bigger than I thought I would need/want. I have yet to be disappointed with this rule.

·
Registered
5,632 Posts
Only in a pinch

I just bought a dump trailer and it came with ramps. I doubt I'll ever transport my 790 with it as the dump is 6 x 12 and I'm usually pretty tight on my 16' flatbed if I have the FEL on the front and anything on the back. The dump trailer also is at least a foot higher and I'm not thrilled about moving the CG up. That's fine as long as everything is going well but could be dicey when I'm going around a curve and find someone on my side of the road coming the other way which isn't unusual. I would use the dump for smaller equipment and maybe if I was just hauling the tractor by itself but usually I have the tractor, FEL and either a back blade or box blade.

I'll be making double trips to a distant farm to get both the tractor and dump trailer there but that's the price of not having enough truck. If I had a bigger truck, I would have gone for a bigger dump trailer but I wanted to keep the empty weight down to maintain some load capacity. I think I got a good enough deal on the dump trailer that if I want to sell it, I'll get most or maybe all of my money back even though it won't have pristine paint by then.

Treefarmer

·
Registered
747 Posts
I have a 14ft dump and have to take the bucket off my 2720 and put it in the truck to be able to fit the tractor in the dump triailer. Tying down is a bit awkward at the as I have to squeeze in to get the straps on. I have D rings welded into all the corners so that makes it a bit easier.

Reactions: Knuckles
1 - 6 of 6 Posts