Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new 2018 1023e and was looking in my manual as to when I should change my transmission oil and filter. According to my manual it states the first change should be at 200 hrs. I was watching you tube videos and they were showing that it should be changed after 50 hrs. on previous models. Is this something new to the new 2018 model? There also was a mention of special break-in oil that should be used for the engine but i'm not finding that in manual either.
Maybe i'm not looking in right place in my manual. Thanks for any info......

·
Registered
339 Posts
Not sure if it changed for 2018. Might need to ask dealer. My 2016 was 50 hrs. My service manger said to change engine oil at least once a year and he told me they do not use the break-in oil after the first year. I put the regular in at 50 hrs if I recall it was 5-40 JD oil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
There's probably 25 threads related to this if you do a quick search...

·
Premium Member
12,257 Posts
This seems to be an issue with the operator's manuals for the newer tractors. It appears JD has contracted someone new to write the manuals and as a result they are very confusing and some sections seem to be omitted.

In the 2018 manual there is no mention of ANY 50 hr service. Only engine oil/filter and transmission oil, filter and suction screen at 200 hrs.

In the 2017 manual and prior there is a 50 hr initial service:

[h=3]After First 50 Hours[/h]
  • Change transmission oil and filter.
  • Clean transmission suction screen.
Now... keep in mind the tractor engine and transmission has not changed between 2017 and 2018 yet that 50 hr initial service has been omitted. We have also seen just how dirty the suction screen typically is at 50 hrs.

If it were my tractor I would follow the maintenance schedule that is in the earlier owner's manuals.

·
Premium Member
13,384 Posts
I have a new 2018 1023e and was looking in my manual as to when I should change my transmission oil and filter. According to my manual it states the first change should be at 200 hrs. I was watching you tube videos and they were showing that it should be changed after 50 hrs. on previous models. Is this something new to the new 2018 model? There also was a mention of special break-in oil that should be used for the engine but i'm not finding that in manual either.
If you raise the hood and look underneath there is also a quick reference chart for service intervals but I do know on my 2017 it was 50 hrs for the tranny service, but that could have changed.

·
Registered
40 Posts
PHP:
Did you also get a SERVICE RECORD book? It was in there.

Mine is a 2017, I changed the fluid @ 50 & there was a lot of junk in the screen. There is a great YouTube vid of the service. Clean out that screen housing good with a pocket magnet.

·
Premium Member
12,257 Posts
Ask your dealer. Get the real skinny from him.
Forum history shows that asking the dealer is probably the worst place to get accurate info. Ask 5 dealers and you'll likely get 5 different answers ranging from "change it at 10 hrs" to "It really never needs changed". Sad but true.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you raise the hood and look underneath there is also a quick reference chart for service intervals but I do know on my 2017 it was 50 hrs for the tranny service, but that could have changed.
I looked under the hood and it shows 200 Hrs. for tranny and filter. Engine oil and filter at 200 hrs. You would think they would want you to continue to change both areas at 50hrs. After all its more money in their pocket!!! Maybe they changed their machining process to help eliminate some of the metal chips or they clean things better before assembly.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
PHP:
Did you also get a SERVICE RECORD book? It was in there.

Mine is a 2017, I changed the fluid @ 50 & there was a lot of junk in the screen. There is a great YouTube vid of the service. Clean out that screen housing good with a pocket magnet.
Yeah, service book says 200 hrs. for both tranny and engine oil and filters.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This seems to be an issue with the operator's manuals for the newer tractors. It appears JD has contracted someone new to write the manuals and as a result they are very confusing and some sections seem to be omitted.

In the 2018 manual there is no mention of ANY 50 hr service. Only engine oil/filter and transmission oil, filter and suction screen at 200 hrs.

In the 2017 manual and prior there is a 50 hr initial service:

[h=3]After First 50 Hours[/h]
  • Change transmission oil and filter.
  • Clean transmission suction screen.
Now... keep in mind the tractor engine and transmission has not changed between 2017 and 2018 yet that 50 hr initial service has been omitted. We have also seen just how dirty the suction screen typically is at 50 hrs.

If it were my tractor I would follow the maintenance schedule that is in the earlier owner's manuals.
I think your right, I would rather change it sooner unless someone can explain the reason for the difference.

·
Premium Member
13,384 Posts
I looked under the hood and it shows 200 Hrs. for tranny and filter. Engine oil and filter at 200 hrs. You would think they would want you to continue to change both areas at 50hrs. After all its more money in their pocket!!! Maybe they changed their machining process to help eliminate some of the metal chips or they clean things better before assembly.
Maybe they changed that, but, I doubt it would be a waste of your money or peace of mind to do it at 50 hrs anyways.

·
Premium Member
12,257 Posts
You cannot necessarily go by the sticker under the hood unless it has a specific "Initial Service" column. I just looked at my 2720 and X500. The 2720 sticker only has the routine services at 200, 400, 600 hrs, etc. But the operator's manual clearly specifies an initial fluid change at 50 hrs. The X500 sticker has an "Initial Service" column which shows engine oil/filter at 8hrs and transmission oil at 50 hrs which matches what is listed in the operator's manual.

WHY does JD make this information so difficult on the newer tractors? It used to be fairly simple and clearly listed in the manual. They are really doing a disservice to all the new tractor owners out there.

·
Premium Member
12,257 Posts
Maybe they changed their machining process to help eliminate some of the metal chips or they clean things better before assembly.
That's probably wishful thinking. Most tractors typically have some form of early transmission service. Even my garden tractor specified an initial transmission oil change at 50 hrs and then every 200 hrs after that. If nothing else most initial services will have you clean the suction screen. ALL 1-series suction screens are nasty at 50 hrs. The new 2-series eliminated the initial suction screen service because they don't have a suction screen but instead have a second spin-on transmission filter.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You cannot necessarily go by the sticker under the hood unless it has a specific "Initial Service" column. I just looked at my 2720 and X500. The 2720 sticker only has the routine services at 200, 400, 600 hrs, etc. But the operator's manual clearly specifies an initial fluid change at 50 hrs. The X500 sticker has an "Initial Service" column which shows engine oil/filter at 8hrs and transmission oil at 50 hrs which matches what is listed in the operator's manual.

WHY does JD make this information so difficult on the newer tractors? It used to be fairly simple and clearly listed in the manual. They are really doing a disservice to all the new tractor owners out there.
Went though owners manual again and no mention of initial maintenance. If anyone has a 2018 model 1023e and has changed their fluid in tranny at around 50hrs. please let this thread know how the screen looked for debris. Would be really curious to know.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Forum history shows that asking the dealer is probably the worst place to get accurate info. Ask 5 dealers and you'll likely get 5 different answers
Just to give an example of that: I asked both my salesman and the parts dude, if a top bushing is used so the RT1142 tiller will properly connect to my Imatch. The Imatch only comes with a set of bushings zip tied to the bottom. Both said no bushing is used on the top. So the tiller comes in and lo and behold, it comes with 3 bushings. (Nice of Frontier to include all three with the tiller) Two for the bottom and one for the top for use with an Imatch.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
I think your right, I would rather change it sooner unless someone can explain the reason for the difference.

This is what happened with Harley Davidson's service schedule. Probably the same with JD.
500 miles was changed to 1,000 for the first service.
Then every 2,500 afterwards
And so on.
One year they just did away with the 2,500 middle one.
So 1,000
They made no changes to the machine, fluids or usage.
It was all to make the machine less costly to operate. Probably due to customer complaints. Like/example
Why does my Harley need all this service? My buddy has a BMW/Honda and never has to change the oil. lol

H-D still has the yearly recommendation similar to JD. As in whatever comes first.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Forum history shows that asking the dealer is probably the worst place to get accurate info. Ask 5 dealers and you'll likely get 5 different answers ranging from "change it at 10 hrs" to "It really never needs changed". Sad but true.
Guys on the forum don't do the warranty work or pay for parts and labor if your tractor pukes. If a tractor is under warranty you need to ask the dealer, to cover your butt. I can give all kinds of advice, but I'm not going to cover any warranty or do any repairs on another members tractor. Are you?

·
Super Moderator
5,542 Posts

Peace of mind? Change everything at 50 hours. It won't hurt anything but your pocket book.:)

As jgayman posted what is stated (200 hrs ) in the "new" manuals is ridiculous. No engine oil change until 200 hours is simply foolish on JD's part to put that in print. IMO, engine oil changes shouldn't even be based on hours. Yearly. Plain and simple. If you work your machine excessively hard, change it more often. To me it's just common sense. If that was my machine and I went by what the manual states, I would be changing the engine oil for the first time in 7 years!:dunno:

·
Premium Member
12,257 Posts
No engine oil change until 200 hours is simply foolish on JD's part to put that in print. IMO, engine oil changes shouldn't even be based on hours. Yearly. Plain and simple.
Good point and just another example of something omitted from the new manuals. All prior years had the engine oil/filter listed as an annual attention if less than 200 hrs. Magically that too is now missing from the latest owner's manuals. The hourly interval on oil changes makes sense if you put more than 200 hrs per year on the machine.

Below is what was listed as annual-based maintenance in all the manuals prior to 2018:
Annually

• Clean radiator and oil cooler fins.
  • Check radiator coolant freeze point and clarity of coolant. See your John Deere Dealer for service, or to order a John Deere Coolant Test Kit.
  • Check and service air filter elements.
  • Change engine oil and filter if less than 200 hours of operation.
  • Drain water from fuel tank and replace fuel filters.
  • Check all hoses and clamps.
  • Check battery electrolyte level.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts