Green Tractor Talk banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
I'm not sure what I'm missing here but if you take trash cans to the curb and they have to be positioned in a certain way and distanced a specified distance apart can't anyone get off the tractor and turn them around and space them as required?
Some of the active members on this site have physical and medical problems that limit their mobilities. The tractor gives them the ability to come as close as possible to maintaining the lifestyle they want. Hopping down from the tractor to move trash bins around is not an option. Perhaps the mounting block they need to use to get onto and off the tractor is back at the house.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm not sure what I'm missing here but if you take trash cans to the curb and they have to be positioned in a certain way and distanced a specified distance apart can't anyone get off the tractor and turn them around and space them as required? Maybe it would help if you painted an outline of the bottom of the container on the ground so you can get your trash cans placed uniformly and pretty.
I don't have trash can cops where I live. I carry my trash and recyclables out in plastic bags and set them at the end of my driveway on pickup days. My trash man comes along in his truck, stops and throws each bag into the compartment designated for the contents of each bag. We mark each bag with, "plastics, magazines, newspaper, or cans". The actual garbage is in a black bag (s) while the others are white.
Some of the active members on this site have physical and medical problems that limit their mobilities. The tractor gives them the ability to come as close as possible to maintaining the lifestyle they want. Hopping down from the tractor to move trash bins around is not an option. Perhaps the mounting block they need to use to get onto and off the tractor is back at the house.
I live in upstate New York with an aggregate driveway. At a certain point in the winter it is absolutely treacherous to get out of the tractor and move cans around near the road. Right now everything is a complete sheet of ice. We had freezing rain, then a super cold snap. Solid ice! Not to mention these cans are going near the road where there could be traffic, a plow truck, etc. Anything to make this weekly chore easier and safer is my rule. One fall on the ice and I'll be wishing I spent $500 on something to help with this!

I have a snow pushing blade on the front of my tractor. So far I haven't seen anything that will connect to this, just to a bucket, and a 3-point hitch. Anyone ever see something that connects perhaps to the sides of a snow pushing blade? It's not a plow, it's like a box blade for the front of the tractor.

·
Registered
871 Posts
A picture of your box blade might be helpful. Maybe you could strap a wooden pallet to the bottom of the plow and set the trash cans on the pallet. Just thinking out loud as I'm having a hard time picturing your set up.
I hear you about the weather. I live in the north central part of NY State not far from the Canadian border.

·
Premium Member
1,968 Posts
I have the bolt on hook reciever and the trash can hauler to use with it. With my toothbar on it is to short and won't come close to picking up cans.

With the teeth off it still doesn't work as the hook is higher than the grab bar on my cans. It has only worked with my forks. I have them covered outside so I don't use them.

Next option is I take the can hauler to welding shop and modify the lifting piece. Make lifting arm shorter. Make reciever piece longer so clears the teeth and then add a smaller piece of steel inside to ,make it stronger. That way it won't bend with the weight of the trash can on it.

I have to go out in the street to drop cans off. I put mine on gravel drive. It would be nice if the cans had 2 lifting bars. 1 front and 1 back.

With the surge of covid and cold/flu season, modifying has to wait. I should have had more patience and learned how to weld.

Good luck!
WB

·
Registered
871 Posts
Maybe modifying the cans would be easier than modifying anything else.
Pictures might help.
I live in upper NY State. Everything here is frozen. We've had freezing rain here. My son is on vacation in Florida with his family. I started his wife's car and his step daughter's car a few minutes ago to melt some of the ice off. I just brought his wife's car over to my house and have it parked in my garage with the heat turned up to thaw her car out. I had to pour lukewarm water on the driver's door so I could get into it. Once this car is cleaned off and dried out I'll switch it out with the step daughter's car. Luckily my son's house is right next door to mine so it's no real inconvenience. I've been going over there every so often to feed and water his dog and cat and let the dog out to pee and poop anyway.
Of course now that I'm getting things cleaned off and unfrozen it's starting to snow. They are predicting Lake Effect snow all day here on the edge of Tug Hill.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts