Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have some small trees that i want to remove on my property. I am trying to thin out my woods area behind my house for a little more "park like" area. Does anyone have any tips on how to remove the trees. Most of the trees that i want to get rid of are at most 8" in circumference. I have been able to just pull some of the smaller ones out with my tractor, but not the bigger ones, because a lot of them are closer together, and the root systems are all interconnected. I have a 3025e, and no backhoe. I really don't want to dig up all of them with the loader. Is there any easier way to get these out, without damaging my tractor?

I saw a video online where a guy some some block and tackle to pull out a MASSIVE stump with a small 1 series like tractor.

·
Registered
715 Posts
I have some small trees that i want to remove on my property. I am trying to thin out my woods area behind my house for a little more "park like" area. Does anyone have any tips on how to remove the trees. Most of the trees that i want to get rid of are at most 8" in circumference. I have been able to just pull some of the smaller ones out with my tractor, but not the bigger ones, because a lot of them are closer together, and the root systems are all interconnected. I have a 3025e, and no backhoe. I really don't want to dig up all of them with the loader. Is there any easier way to get these out, without damaging my tractor?

I saw a video online where a guy some some block and tackle to pull out a MASSIVE stump with a small 1 series like tractor.
I'll be interested to see the replies.

Search for "stump bucket" on YouTube to see videos of it being done.

Once you break up the roots on the periphery there isn't much left that holds them in place. At least you have a lot more leverage to get the stump out at that point. I wonder if something as simple as a subsoiler would be sufficient for the job.

Al

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
I'm guessing he meant 8" in diameter, not circumference.

Did you do that math in your head, Stan? :good2: I could have easily told you the circumference from the diameter or radius, but going the other way would have required some cipherin' with a pencil and paper. Or at least with Google! :laugh:

·
Registered
21,484 Posts

Did you do that math in your head, Stan? :good2: I could have easily told you the circumference from the diameter or radius, but going the other way would have required some cipherin' with a pencil and paper. Or at least with Google! :laugh:
Once upon a time......but yeah - Google was my friend. It has made me lazy!

If that is the case and they being 8” diameter nothing but a backhoe I am thinking.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Years ago I cut off some locust trees to allow Bush-Hogging a field. I purposely left the stumps at waist height so that I could see them through the briars during subsequent mow sessions. After acquiring the property four years ago, I began using a chain and my tractor's drawbar or largest four-wheeler and attached the chain as high as possible on the stump to increase the lever force on the stump. Soft ground helps with stump removal also, such as in the springtime or after a rainy period.

Good luck,

Brian

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'll be interested to see the replies.

Search for "stump bucket" on YouTube to see videos of it being done.

Once you break up the roots on the periphery there isn't much left that holds them in place. At least you have a lot more leverage to get the stump out at that point. I wonder if something as simple as a subsoiler would be sufficient for the job.

Al
I've looked into both of those, but i don't have the room to work around the trees right now. Very tight working area until i open it up.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Nope, meant circumference. Pretty small trees.

·
Registered
21,484 Posts
Great! Just the type of tip i was looking for! Now i just got to find a wheel.
You can create the same effect with something like a piece of 6x6 lumber - put a notch in the top of it for the chain to rest in. Then position the 6x6 vertically slightly leaning toward the tree with the chain in the notch and pull.

You can be creative to find something to use that will work. The main thing is to get upward force on the base of the tree - enough to at least get it started - then lateral movement is fine to pull it the rest of the way out.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Rent a mini track hoe with a thumb, push or saw trees off and dig up residual. Then make a nice burn pile.

Stumps rot over time creating a void. I have some places in my yard now that are ruff from the roots and stump decaying.
Not to mention termites love these.

·
Premium Member
7,508 Posts
Years ago I cut off some locust trees to allow Bush-Hogging a field. I purposely left the stumps at waist height so that I could see them through the briars during subsequent mow sessions. After acquiring the property four years ago, I began using a chain and my tractor's drawbar or largest four-wheeler and attached the chain as high as possible on the stump to increase the lever force on the stump. Soft ground helps with stump removal also, such as in the springtime or after a rainy period.

Good luck,

Brian
That's how I do it. I cut them off so they will not hit the tractor when being pulled. Soft/rained on ground makes a big difference.

I have a much bigger tractor :greentractorride: :laugh: 2"-3" I can pull several at once if I can reach multiples with my chains. I make a single chain rap around each tree/bush, then at the last one I double wrap and hook the chain back on it self. For the small stuff I use the 2wd 2030. BIG stuff the MFWD 6415 certain kinds of trees are easier to pull, like sassafrass

·
Registered
554 Posts
How many stumps are you talking about? I just popped out 15 stumps up to 5" diameter in about 30 minutes today before tilling a customer's food plot. This was done with a 3 Series tractor. I can't imagine you're going to damage the bucket or tractor. First push 12-18" up from the ground from two sides. Then just dig your bucket down on either side, work back and forth, and they're out. Super easy. 2-3" diameter stumps are a piece of cake.

·
Registered
763 Posts
I have found pallet forks to be an effective tool at getting the root system free from the truck. They are also a great way to dig around the tree before pushing/pulling it out. I've done several of the size you mention with ease using the 3025E. The jury is out on the larger stuff (8-12" diameter) I have to remove....I am thinking of hiring a bulldozer operator to get the job done in one easy swoop.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
How many stumps are you talking about? I just popped out 15 stumps up to 5" diameter in about 30 minutes today before tilling a customer's food plot. This was done with a 3 Series tractor. I can't imagine you're going to damage the bucket or tractor. First push 12-18" up from the ground from two sides. Then just dig your bucket down on either side, work back and forth, and they're out. Super easy. 2-3" diameter stumps are a piece of cake.
A LOT! I have a large area I am trying to clear out, leaving only the largest hardwoods. I am trying to expanded my backyard. Right now we have no trees in our yard, and we want a shaded area behind the house.

The problem doing it the way you described is that i can only get at them from one side because the woods are VERY thick. I can't get on the side, only directly in front of each one on the edge of the woods. The trees are very close, less than a foot, together. This also makes them hard to pull because the root systems are all wrapped around each other.

I did get a few out the way you described that there was only light brush around, but the rest is thick with woody material.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Just to be clear

I have a stump that is about 8" across that I need to be rid of (at least the wife says so - it isn't bothering me). Are you guys saying that you pull up a stump that size without first cutting the roots? I have a 1025R and I can't imagine what the poster above means when he says "First push 12-18" up from the ground from two sides. Then just dig your bucket down on either side, work back and forth, and they're out." How can you dig around the stump with the roots still intact and just below the surface?

·
Registered
610 Posts
Different trees are gong to have different root patterns. Some will have a long tap root and some will just spread out laterally, some will be easier to deal with. Push on the stump as high up as possible with the bucket at different angles around the stump to try to rock it back and forth, then back up a few feet and dig the roots up. If they won't pop up, back up a few more feet and try again.

·
Registered
4,975 Posts
Forestry mulcher

If you can find a spot to rent a skid steer and mulching head, it would work really well for that purpose. You take the trees down all the way to ground level and leave a scattered mulch field. One or two days with one of those machines and the job is done.

Lots of variations but here is a typical set up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KmChCEITe8

Here's a difference head: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbutU4DfQZ8&t=128s

Treefarmer

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Im in the same boat, somewhat, as the OP.
We have 5.5 acres, heavily wooded, with our house in the middle. Ive got a postage stamp to mow, and I dont like it. There are a few areas I can expand into, but some are very tight, no way to maneuver around in there. But then I got the 260B backhoe when I got my 2025 just for that purpose.
Most of my trees are 4-10" in diameter, so I dont expect too much trouble except from the larger ones.

Be sure to let us know how it goes!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts