Man that sucks!

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Of all the trees you and BC cut, how'd y'all miss that one? :banghead:
Be careful getting-er down.
If ya got insurance on it, don't forget to take pics before removing. :good2:
I took pictures, gonna see our insurance guy on Monday. Not going to do a thing until I take to him.
I did put in a temporary adjustable lally column.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bummer. I've had two trees hit our house over the years so I feel you.
Question, Did you turn it into the insurance company? If you did, did your rates go up?

·
Premium Member
1,956 Posts
Man! That stinks! Feel sorry for you.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Question, Did you turn it into the insurance company? If you did, did your rates go up?
Yes, I had to contact the insurance both times. A tree did roof damage both times too. The first time it was during a major storm at night. A pine tree branch punctured a hole right through the ceiling of a bedroom, with rain dripping through the hole. The rotten insurance company adjuster that came out, low balled me and I had to re-do the bedroom ceiling sheet rock myself to save money. I also contracted the roof repair myself to save a few bucks. I called and complained and got another 900 dollars out of them. Whoop tee doo. The second time a tree hit the house was on the garage side, right out of the blue. A pine tree just snapped in two about 6 feet up the trunk for no apparent reason. That one did over 25 grand worth of damage but the insurance (same company) stepped up to the plate and fixed everything, no problem. By then, they changed to another system of pay out. They automatically send an approved contractor for the repairs. Sort of the same deal when you need car accident repair now. They don't need estimates when using an approved body shop for the work. Fortunately, our rates didn't seem to be affected that much.

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
I guess you need to consider what your deductible is, are you capable of doing the repair and such.

I have a $1K deductible on homeowners, hard to say from the photos but I don't think it would be $1k in lumber to fix so if it were me I would just fix it myself. It looked like it punched through the roof of the lean-too. Not sure if you have shingles and then end up reshingling the entire roof or if you can patch the damaged area. If you have a lower deductible or couldn't do the fix then maybe submit it.

Hard to say if rates would go up. It would probably be considered an act of god but you mentioned you were thinking of taking the tree down so was it dead and half rotten? That might change their decision. Not sure. If it was a healthy tree and a storm just came through and snapped it off that might be looked at differently.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I guess you need to consider what your deductible is, are you capable of doing the repair and such.

I have a $1K deductible on homeowners, hard to say from the photos but I don't think it would be $1k in lumber to fix so if it were me I would just fix it myself. It looked like it punched through the roof of the lean-too. Not sure if you have shingles and then end up reshingling the entire roof or if you can patch the damaged area. If you have a lower deductible or couldn't do the fix then maybe submit it.

Hard to say if rates would go up. It would probably be considered an act of god but you mentioned you were thinking of taking the tree down so was it dead and half rotten? That might change their decision. Not sure. If it was a healthy tree and a storm just came through and snapped it off that might be looked at differently.
I'm not sure what the deductible is, I could look it up but I'll let my insurance broker do it. :lol:
Babycakes and I could do all the work for sure but not sure I want to. The roof on the lean-to is a rubber coated roof. I've done more shingle roofs and hot tar roofs than I can count but I've never worked on a rubber coated roof but then again, not knowing has never stopped me before.
BTW, we had an ice storm yesterday.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Thanks jimmylh. :thumbup1gif:
Can't find pics of the first tree, but here was the second one that did more damage. They had to repair the roof. Had water damage to the kitchen, laundry room and living room. They had to re-do the laundry room ceiling and cabinets. They had to re-wall paper the entire kitchen. Repair the living room ceiling and re-paint the entire living room ceiling. I repainted all the living room walls myself while the furniture was out of the way.

4562400961_01683915a8.jpg
4563032312_854354e00f.jpg

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
I'm not sure what the deductible is, I could look it up but I'll let my insurance broker do it. :lol:
Babycakes and I could do all the work for sure but not sure I want to. The roof on the lean-to is a rubber coated roof. I've done more shingle roofs and hot tar roofs than I can count but I've never worked on a rubber coated roof but then again, not knowing has never stopped me before.
BTW, we had an ice storm yesterday.
Yeah, it doesn't hurt to ask. What about slapping a steel or shingle roof right over the rubber roof? I have done shingles and steel roof work but never rubber.

I also get being cautious about going up there this time of year with the ice and all. So your roof is compromised but it is over the lean-too. If it were me I would be looking at a temp fix to get by until April or so when things warm up a bit. Any rain and such that leaks through the hole are going into a lean-too area so not likely to cause any damage. Sure the weather might damage the roof a bit more but not much beyond what will likely need to be replaced anyhow. Though not knowing anything about a rubber roof, if water got under it between now and when it can be fixed? What is the risk? When you say rubber coated is it sheets of rubber glued down?

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Yeah, it doesn't hurt to ask. What about slapping a steel or shingle roof right over the rubber roof? I have done shingles and steel roof work but never rubber.

I also get being cautious about going up there this time of year with the ice and all. So your roof is compromised but it is over the lean-too. If it were me I would be looking at a temp fix to get by until April or so when things warm up a bit. Any rain and such that leaks through the hole are going into a lean-too area so not likely to cause any damage. Sure the weather might damage the roof a bit more but not much beyond what will likely need to be replaced anyhow. Though not knowing anything about a rubber roof, if water got under it between now and when it can be fixed? What is the risk? When you say rubber coated is it sheets of rubber glued down?
The hole is actually in the overhang of the lean-to, so I can for sure wait.
IMG_1973.jpg

The rubber roof I had put down has ~1" styrofoam under it with the rubber laid on top and nailed. You can see the nails it the picture.
The roof is just too flat to have shingles installed.

I looked up the deductible, $500.00.

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
The roof is just too flat to have shingles installed.

I looked up the deductible, $500.00.
I kind of wondered if this is why you went that route. Again hard to tell from the photos but it looked like it was pretty flat.

With a $500 deductible it is harder to say. Might be worth claiming. A few hundred in lumber I would guess. Not sure what the rubber roof costs or if it can be patched. It might put you over $500 if you did it yourself. I would at least talk to the insurance co and see what your options are.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
I thought the same thing. :lol:
Being that your a cool guy and all I want to help you out. I have this class act crew that's been working for me and just for you, I'd be willing to send them your way. I'm sure they will get your barn fixed right up in no time! I assure you by the time they are finished you won't even recall what fell on the barn and when.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Being that your a cool guy and all I want to help you out. I have this class act crew that's been working for me and just for you, I'd be willing to send them your way. I'm sure they will get your barn fixed right up in no time! I assure you by the time they are finished you won't even recall what fell on the barn and when.
I've been following your ordeal. I'll pass. :lol:

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
I've been following your ordeal. I'll pass. :lol:
I should have passed, I'm obviously not that smart :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

1 - 20 of 199 Posts