Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All, I have about 30 ash trees that need to be dropped on my property - many are near structures and a lift/bucket truck will be used by a professional tree company

Owner tells me he doesn’t like to drive his bucket/lift rig in the winter due to salt on the roads and we should plan on getting the job done in April

does this sound legitimate/reasonable ?

·
Registered
552 Posts
They must not be in need of income ? I bet in the spring they tell you that the ground will be to wet and soft to support their trucks....
It doesn't sound reasonable to me but I'm no expert

·
Registered
214 Posts
I bet you can find another tree company very willing to use their equipment at any time to tackle your job.
I actually can't even believe that's the excuse he's given you. To me, 30 trees all by bucket truck seems like a pretty expensive proposition, and should be well worth chancing his truck on the salt covered roads (lol at even writing this sentence) for some winter income.

·
Premium Member
3,585 Posts
If he’s scared to drive his equipment then how do you feel about trusting him cutting trees near your house? Probably booked and doing the easy jobs till spring. Next

·
Premium Member
11,299 Posts
Sounds pretty lame to me.

I'd be looking for someone that isn't as fast with an excuse to keep sitting on his butt.

·
Premium Member
11,252 Posts
Probably has his crew laid off and doesn't want to call them back to work or he doesn't have a crew right now because they are doing something else at another job.

Some people who struggle their entire lives wonder why and decisions like this one are a perfect example of why. Who knows, maybe his truck is unavailable because the lender has it under lock and key. If he has figured out a way to successfully run his company working half a year, you probably would pay too much for his services anyways.

·
Premium Member
11,252 Posts
Is getting rid of the trees a part of the planned pool project you asked about last week?

Reactions: jdmich and tj1

·
Registered
49 Posts
I think SulleyBear hit the nail on the head. With what his ground crew can collect on unemployment right now, they probably asked to be laid off. Then tree guy collects a ppp loan saying he is under hardship. Crew will come back when gov stops paying them more to sit at home than to work. Otherwise if the salt excuse is true, guy needs to add a few hundred and take the truck to a truck wash.

·
Premium Member
5,078 Posts
I'd look elsewhere in a heartbeat if someone told me that.. Geez, I can't go out with my truck I might get salt on it! Unbelievable.. Doesn't sound like a guy who runs chainsaws!!! I guess the salt is more dangerous in his mind.. Why did he even show up? Most of those guys would rather come when the ground is frozen so they don't ruin your yard... Drop him like a STD.... The guys around here are busy as all get out and they are making money hand over fist..

·
Registered
155 Posts
Tree work is being scheduled 1 - 2 months out in my neck of the woods and quite a number of the established firms have on their web site or phone that they are not taking new customers, just referrals.

I've not gotten any blow-offs but then again this is for crane work for trees that are 3 - 6 feet from the house and have a 2 or 3 foot girth.

And the owner from one very large and well established firms and when he was estimating wanted to take down a large red oak that I thought was not in the way of his crane work. He smugly told me "well then I might not take the job".

Times are tough but as in any season there are a lot of contractors that aren't hurting and can be choosy or cocky.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Get another vendor. When the ground is frozen and no leaves on the trees is the best time to do it.

·
Registered
551 Posts
That's like a mechanic who refuses a job by getting hands greasy. He could rent a bucket truck or take his to a spray car wash afterwards.
There's something else going on. He was "the dog ate my homework" kid in school.
Stay away from that salty dog.

Sent from my SM-S205DL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13,073 Posts
I had 25-30 Ash trees taken down around the first two weeks of December (don't remember the exact date). The guy came in with a bucket truck and a chipper. Took them all down in two days. I chose to leave them on the ground to save a ton of money. I have enough friends who burn wood, that I can get rid of it. He didn't have to drive through salt, but the weather was crappy. He and his two guys worked their butts off and got the job done.

·
Registered
62 Posts
There is an asphalt paving company in the area that has trucks and equipment that are spotless. Polished "Alcoa" wheels, polished exhausts, pristine paint... Just beautifully maintained equipment. Maybe this paving guy and your tree guy are twin brothers? :)

·
Premium Member
3,585 Posts
That’s the way to do it right there Don. After all we have tractors and chainsaws to do the clean up. A lot cheaper
I had 25-30 Ash trees taken down around the first two weeks of December (don't remember the exact date). The guy came in with a bucket truck and a chipper. Took them all down in two days. I chose to leave them on the ground to save a ton of money. I have enough friends who burn wood, that I can get rid of it. He didn't have to drive through salt, but the weather was crappy. He and his two guys worked their butts off and got the job done.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Is getting rid of the trees a part of the planned pool project you asked about last week?
Nah the trees have been planned for a while - over the summer the excuse was to wait until the poison ivy is off the trees - this crew has done previous work for us on lesser projects and their bid was the most competitive

1 - 20 of 35 Posts