Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had to move a volunteer cedar tree from my wife's flower bed to the tree rows. Used the pallet forks to get under the root ball and lift out of the hole and move it to the new location. The forks are fast becoming my most used tool.

All of our hoses were put away, so I tilted the bucket and filled it with water. Worked really well to move water without spilling it. Then we used a five gallon bucket to get the water out of the bucket and in the well around of the tree.

All done very easily.

rob

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
sometimes when its real dry we will water trees like that........drive the backhoe into the creek get a scoup of water.......then use the backhoe outriggers to tilt the tractor enough to pour water out of the corner of the bucket like a spout.....works great unless you have to hit brakes LOL

·
Premium Member
10,124 Posts
Had to move a volunteer cedar tree from my wife's flower bed to the tree rows. Used the pallet forks to get under the root ball and lift out of the hole and move it to the new location. The forks are fast becoming my most used tool.

All of our hoses were put away, so I tilted the bucket and filled it with water. Worked really well to move water without spilling it. Then we used a five gallon bucket to get the water out of the bucket and in the well around of the tree.

All done very easily.

rob
Well done, Rob.

I don't know what I would do without my pallet forks. I am constantly finding new uses for them. I have begun what could be a very bad habit and I need to watch myself......

I often switch between the bucket and pallet forks. Sometimes, several times per day. Often, I am carrying items with the forks flat or barely angled, so my bad habit has been not pinning the forks or bucket back on the FEL.

I ALWAYS store the pins in the pin holder on the FEL, otherwise we have seen the cable and pins torn off the FEL head. So, whenever I do remove the pins from either forks or bucket, at least I am not letting the pins dangle.

(Nothing good can come from one leaving their pin dangling on the wire. ;) ...)

I will say the NSL FEL actually is self leveling, until the implement falls off....:confused:fortunately, I have noticed it before it gets to that point. You can be curling the forks and you notice they are remaining level and that's when I am reminded "Need to PIN THE Implement"......

The forks are great for landscaping work, among many things. Perhaps we should start a thread of "Pallet Fork Uses" to help those who don't own forks to get additional use ideas and add the forks to their implement family......

·
Premium Member
10,124 Posts
sometimes when its real dry we will water trees like that........drive the backhoe into the creek get a scoup of water.......then use the backhoe outriggers to tilt the tractor enough to pour water out of the corner of the bucket like a spout.....works great unless you have to hit brakes LOL

We need to see a video of this....... I can imagine all kinds of excitement possibly happening. There could even be "water fights" where competing machines throw water at one another. A nice friendly activity on a hot summer day......;)(y)

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
Wow...never thought about putting water in the bucket to water trees. That's a great idea!

·
Premium Member
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well done, Rob.

I don't know what I would do without my pallet forks. I am constantly finding new uses for them. I have begun what could be a very bad habit and I need to watch myself......

I often switch between the bucket and pallet forks. Sometimes, several times per day. Often, I am carrying items with the forks flat or barely angled, so my bad habit has been not pinning the forks or bucket back on the FEL.

I ALWAYS store the pins in the pin holder on the FEL, otherwise we have seen the cable and pins torn off the FEL head. So, whenever I do remove the pins from either forks or bucket, at least I am not letting the pins dangle.

I will say the NSL FEL actually is self leveling, until the implement falls off....:confused:fortunately, I have noticed it before it gets to that point. You can be curling the forks and you notice they are remaining level and that's when I am reminded "Need to PIN THE Implement"......

The forks are great for landscaping work, among many things. Perhaps we should start a thread of "Pallet Fork Uses" to help those who don't own forks to get additional use ideas and add the forks to their implement family......
I noticed this morning that I have tracks in the grass for the fork storage spot and the bucket storage spot. Took them on and off three times yesterday.

rob

Reactions: KennyP

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Perhaps we should start a thread of "Pallet Fork Uses" to help those who don't own forks to get additional use ideas and add the forks to their implement family......
I'll up-vote this! (y)
Preferred with images. :)

·
Premium Member
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow...never thought about putting water in the bucket to water trees. That's a great idea!
You don't spill very much at all. Just had to do set the bucket and go. I am going to do this again today. I will post pics.

rob

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
We need to see a video of this....... I can imagine all kinds of excitement possibly happening. There could even be "water fights" where competing machines throw water at one another. A nice friendly activity on a hot summer day......;)(y)
not withstanding the possibilities of some quite humorous possibilities for videos 😀 🚜 ...(visons of tractor dancing with loader buckets full of water) 🤣👌...fun fun...biggest bucket wins

my Bhoe bucket will hold i estimate 100gal of water ...we always plant trees in the spring sometimes hundreds in remote locations that need "watered in" if we get a dry spell.......usually plenty of water in the creek that time of year.....selecting the rear backhoe outrigger to add some side tilt makes this a very precise controllable way of watering those trees in at remote locations

·
Premium Member
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Reactions: SulleyBear

·
Premium Member
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Pics of water hauling and a new use for Ken's bolt on hooks.

rob

·
Premium Member
10,124 Posts
Looking at those pictures reminded me of just how much of a bath my bucket needs.....After hauling all of that crushed aggregate for the road building, it could use a good cleaning.....

What kind of tree was that shown being watered, Rob?

·
Premium Member
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well done, Rob.

i have forgotten to replace the pins once. Will not do that again.

rob

·
Registered
594 Posts
I have to water new tree seedlings and plants time to time.
I use 2 1/2 gallon rinsed out herbicide jugs. I have maybe 20 of them. Fill them up with water while they are in the yard trailer, drive to area and carry 2 jugs, one in each hand to where the watering needs to be done.
Lots of my stuff is a no-go for driving a tractor to the site. Also I can pin point how much water and exactly where I need it. 5 Gallons does about 1/2 dozen plants/trees.

Using the bucket is a very limited type of answer, it may have worked in Rob's application but it won't work in most applications. If I need watering around the house I'll just drag the hose over.

I swear some of you guys would use the tractor's bucket to carry an envelope down to the mailbox.:giggle:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts