509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How would you fall this tree?

It's leaning against a hickory tree

Attachments

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Chain up the trunk 3’ or so above the break, attach chain to tractor. Cut tree between chain and break. Pull chain with tractor to free top of stuck tree.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm picturing the tree falling and pulling the tractor with it, it's a pretty big tree.

If I cut between the chain the the break.

I could see cutting a above the chain then pulling because then the tractor is connected to the smallest piece of the tree..

Chain up the trunk 3’ or so above the break, attach chain to tractor. Cut tree between chain and break. Pull chain with tractor to free top of stuck tree.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Hi, I've had very little experience with your situation but the two times it's happened I tied a 3/8" rope to a big wrench and threw it over the tree as high as I could. Then I used the 3/8" rope to pull a very long 3/4" polypropylene rope over the tree. I tied a bowline around the other end of the rope to make a cinch. I cinched the rope around the tree put the rope through a pulley fixed to another tree and tied another loop at the other end of the rope and put it around one of the tow hooks attached to my truck and pulled it down. If you decide to pull the tree down I'd suggest that you use a pulley and pull away from the direction of the falling tree. Much safer. Good luck, let us know how you made out.

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
I had the exact same hung up tree situation a couple of months ago at my daughter's home. Except I didn't have a truck or tractor there. So I was just going to "chunk it down" from the bottom. I intended to do careful chainsawing just above the break to free the tree from the stump, then chunking off 3 foot sections until the tree goes vertical and falls away from the other tree. I've done it before and it can be dangerous, but if you don't have access to something that can pull it down, it is one way to do it. But it does take a bunch of time.

Just after I got the tree free from the stump, a neighbor comes by with his pick-up and a several straps. We put a strap on the tree just above the cut, and he pulled it out of the other tree. It took me a bit of time to cut the leaning tree loose, and then in less than five minutes after the neighbor showed up, the tree was down.

I like the pulley and pulling at an angle to the tree idea as mentioned. It depends on the situation.

Whatever you do, be careful.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
4,975 Posts
Well, if I absolutely had to. . .

My preference would be to leave it there until it came down on it's own but if I had to take it down, I'd first really look at the top and see how it's lodged, whether it's just a bridge, or laying over a limb etc. Then I'd figure out which way the sucker is going to go at the top before I planned my cut.

When I cut, I'd first do a slightly angled top cut and if the top of the tree would let me do it, I'd be on the far side of the tree from the picture. My reason is that if my body is closer to the stump side it's slightly less exposed to the tree kicking.

Anyway, I'd make the top cut, drop a plastic or wood felling wedge into the cut and then undercut a wedge before making a final cut to meet the top cut.

My angled top and bottom cuts would be to have the tree slide away from me rather than jam solidly or slide toward me. It looks like the tree basically broke instead of an uproot so there is hopefully still control at the stump end.

I hate cutting lodeged trees and my preference would be a chain and skidder, dozer or winch to pull it off the stump rather than cutting. But if I had to cut, I'd use every opportunity to make sure nothing kicked toward me.

Treefarmer

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I did something very similiar to what you suggest and was almost killed. The tree when the base was cut came loose up top deflecting so that the top came down on my ROP in a heartbeat and shattered. No damage to me or the tractor but it was certainly a surprise not at all expected. Thank God for ROP.

Looking at the pix I think i would get one or more strap or chain from a point high up tied off to a tree on the opposite side from your tractor to stop it from comming at you. Then i would just try first pulling it at the bottom to see if it will budge first before trying to cut it.Then if that dosent move it i would cut close to the ground so that when it moves it will not have far to go. From the looks of the pix once it is secured you should be able to carefully make a small cut then tighten up the tractor cable or winch and keep repeating this till she gives. The key here is SLOW AND EASY

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
I’d cut it. Have done it many times. It’s going to want to pinch your saw. Cut from the bottom up . Expect it to want to kill you. Be ready to quickly get the hell out the way.

I’m thinking the top is hung up in another tree. So it’s likely you’ll need to cut off a few chunks or pull it to get it to fall to the ground.

Cutting standing dead / up trees isn’t exactly the safest thing to do. If your not comfortable doing it, it’s probably best to get someone else to do it.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Pay a professional to do it. Life is too precious!

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Pay a professional to do it. Life is too precious!
Either have a professional do it,,, or,,,,

look at the way it is "lodged" there should be a preferential way the tree is interested in falling,,

If you can determine the preferred direction, get a long poly rope, and a Come-A-Long,, and with the rope tied at the highest point possible,,
put some tension on the rope by connecting the Come-A-Long to a nearby tree.

Let nature help you,,
when the wind blows, the tree will "move" toward the direction it is being pulled,,
depending on the wind, with a few repeated tightenings,, the tree could be down in a day, or it could take a week. It WILL come down,,

BUT, the most important part is that you and your saw will be at a safe distance at all times,,, :bigthumb:

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
I did something very similiar to what you suggest and was almost killed. The tree when the base was cut came loose up top deflecting so that the top came down on my ROP in a heartbeat and shattered. No damage to me or the tractor but it was certainly a surprise not at all expected. Thank God for ROP.

Looking at the pix I think i would get one or more strap or chain from a point high up tied off to a tree on the opposite side from your tractor to stop it from comming at you. Then i would just try first pulling it at the bottom to see if it will budge first before trying to cut it.Then if that dosent move it i would cut close to the ground so that when it moves it will not have far to go. From the looks of the pix once it is secured you should be able to carefully make a small cut then tighten up the tractor cable or winch and keep repeating this till she gives. The key here is SLOW AND EASY
I wasn’t suggesting the tractor be anywhere in the vicinity of any part of the tree, especially not anywhere under it where when it fell it could fall on me or the machine. Put the machine somewhere in the vicinity of where the picture was taken-perfectly safe there. The chain suggestion moves the tractor to a location away from the tree or where it could fall making the operation of pulling it much safer. If a chain isn’t long enough the suggestion of heavy ropes as other say is also good.

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
All good advice given here, but I think/hope that the OP has some experience in felling trees, otherwise he wouldn't be asking questions here. Felling trees is a DANGEROUS activity and should never be attempted if there is any doubt on what to do. Even felling upright visibly healthy trees can have hidden problems that make the "routine" fell extremely dangerous. You can't learn a lot of things by just reading about it, (except maybe reading), so if in doubt, hire someone who does this thing for a living.

That tree may come down on its own at some point, may not. But it seems like it is over a trail that someone uses, so having it come down on its own may not be a good thing.

When I wrote about my daughter's tree, it was leaning over the back yard where our grandchildren play. So we wanted it down. If it was in the woods, then we'd leave for nature to bring it down.

Whatever the OP decides, please be careful.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,201 Posts
What about the tree it's leaning on? Can it be safely cut to make both fall? :dunno:

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
If it were me and I didn't - couldn't want to pay someone...
I would cut through where it broke at the stump after careful consideration of which way it will roll once it is loose.
I would want to be on the opposite side of the roll direction, which is likely the same direction it would take if it came off the tree it is hung in.
Then I would rope or chain it ten or fifteen feet from the stump with at least 75 foot length and hook up to a pickup truck or if available a very heavy tractor.
Pull her loose and process.

·
Registered
4,975 Posts
Don't cut a prop tree

What about the tree it's leaning on? Can it be safely cut to make both fall? :dunno:
Cutting a prop tree is definitely one of those things that pro's can do but it's incredibly dicey for them. It's just really hard to figure the stress imposed on the prop tree from the leaner, plus you are automatically cutting from underneath a tree that's already damaged.

I'd pay a lot of money before cutting the prop tree. If I absolutely had to do it to save someones life, I'd probably use a pole saw so I wasn't under the leaner. There's hardly any felling job any more dangerous that cutting a prop tree with a leaner over you.

Treefarmer

·
Registered
250 Posts
I would make an undercut about 1/3 of the way through the tree, straight up and down. Then I would move about 2 inches up the tree, and make a bore cut, straight up and down again, cutting the middle third to 50% of the tree diameter. This will leave a trigger section on the top of the tree. I would again move 2 inches up the tree, and cut the trigger, and get the heck away from it when it releases. Wash, rinse, repeat until you stand the tree up and can fell it away from the prop tree. Before I made any cuts, I would place a rope in the top so that I had the option to exert some measure of control over it if the opportunity presented itself.

If you aren't comfortable with a bore cut, do not attempt this method.

·
Registered
4,975 Posts
Yep

I would make an undercut about 1/3 of the way through the tree, straight up and down. Then I would move about 2 inches up the tree, and make a bore cut, straight up and down again, cutting the middle third to 50% of the tree diameter. This will leave a trigger section on the top of the tree. I would again move 2 inches up the tree, and cut the trigger, and get the heck away from it when it releases. Wash, rinse, repeat until you stand the tree up and can fell it away from the prop tree. Before I made any cuts, I would place a rope in the top so that I had the option to exert some measure of control over it if the opportunity presented itself.

If you aren't comfortable with a bore cut, do not attempt this method.
Definitely true. While a bore cut is a valuable skill, this tree is not the one to learn a new skill on. The rope on the top is a definite requirement because once a tree is cut away from the stump you have no effective hinge to control the fall.

Treefarmer

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
speaking of chunking........

So I had the tree service up here to deal with a few issues.

100' + beetle killed Fir

!00' Leaning Oak that was a sin to trim ..it was trim it or lose it 36" at base.

couple few other problem trees leaning towards the lower barn/gun shop.

They tried to tip the Fir......got hung up...took several 3' chunks

then

It leaned the other direction...hung up again....bunch more 3' chunks. I think the top , filled with branches might be 20' and useless for lumber.

All on a hillside of 27% grade...Good news...easy to retreive chunks with mini ex.

Bad news ...no food for sawmill....Its fine.

It had poison oak growing 50' up in it...I had drug out all I could reach with miniex......after a few 3' chunks He was deep in it.

There are jobs you do & jobs you don't....be carefull..when in doubt ..hire it out.

·
Registered
533 Posts
There are jobs you do & jobs you don't....be carefull..when in doubt ..hire it out.

Well said. Words to live by. Or stay alive by.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts