Green Tractor Talk banner

Tree Triage

851 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  2032Ranger 
#1 ·
The bark on this tree got damaged during the clearing and grubbing stage of my shed build. Would this be considered severe/life threatening damage? Anything I can do to help it survive? The damage is fairly superficial. The outer bark layer is just peeling off.

Cutting it down is an option, but if this damage has a low chance of killing the tree, then I would like to keep it.

shellbark hickory Tree Trunk Plant Plant stem

Tree Trunk Plant shellbark hickory Forest

See less See more
#3 ·
To add. Trees only get bigger and grow through time. If one day that bad boy gets huge it may start impeding on your shed. Harder to cut down once buildings in place. I personally would cut it down and burn it (wood stove? Fire pit). I hate trees gettin too close to my dwellings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#4 ·
Rather than the bark,, I would remove the tree because of the steep "V" shape of the two halves,,

a "twin" tree like that will fail easily,, compounded by the bark damage,, GONE, in MHO,, :dunno:

Reactions: pappa
#5 ·
If you want to try to save the tree I would paint the exposed wood or even try flex seal and see how it does growing leaves the next 2 years. Next year will probably be weak as the tree tries to heal. The second year will tell you if you’re successful.

Removing bark does kill trees. Water and nutrients move up the tree between the bark and the wood.
https://www.fs.fed.us/t-d/pubs/pdfpubs/pdf99242809/pdf99242809pt01.pdf

#6 ·
The tree will most likely make it. You’ll know for sure next year or the next. If it dies, it’s not going to fall over. Take care of it then. If you plan on applying something to the exposed area, do research that fully. You’ll get many opinions.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.