Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a couple of trees blow over in a storm a few years ago that hung on another tree. The trees are still alive and originally were only at about a 20 degree angle. Well, over the past couple of years they have slowly been pushing the 3rd tree until they started pushing on a 4th tree. Now the original trees are at a 45 degree or greater lean with the other trees being pulled out of the ground. There is a slim chance that tree #4 could reach the house. As much as they are leaning, I fear they could hold a lot of snow, and if we got a heavy wet snow that might be enough weight to take everything down.

That tangled mess is too much for me and my neighbor to tackle, so I had to call in the pros. Gonna cost me a $1000 just to have everything put on the ground.

Here they are. Trees 1 and 2 are the 2 on the left. They first started impacting the one at the far right of the group (one that is bent like a bow). When they got far enough, just a 6-8 inch branch hung on the one in the middle and started pulling it out of the ground.

Trees.JPG

Trees Closeup.JPG

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Thats going to be a lot of firewood to split. :munch:

·
Registered
4,163 Posts
That tangled mess is too much for me and my neighbor to tackle, so I had to call in the pros. Gonna cost me a $1000 just to have everything put on the ground.
Money well spent in my opinion! That job has "Emergency Room Visit" written all over it.

·
Premium Member
624 Posts
Easy solution. Don't take them down yourself. Don't hire someone to take them down for you. Just don't look at them at all, and wait for a big snowstorm to do it for free :)

·
Premium Member
12,853 Posts

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Kinda depends on how you plan to get them down as to whether its dangerous or not.
Ive got a few of those around here, and slowly but surely, Im getting them taken care of.
The last two were a piece of cake. Took a couple chains (only needed one), hooked around the base of the furthest leaner, hooked to the 2025, and pull. Easy peasy.
Rinse and repeat for the 2nd one on that mess.
Both came down nice and easy.

The big one in the back of the woods is a bit more of an issue, as its MUCH larger than the other two I pulled over.
They were less than 12" in diameter and about 40-50'. The bigger one is near 70', and is 15-18" across at the base.
Now, the 2025 wont touch it, so Im not even going to attempt that.
The first thing Ill try is throwing a rope over it, pulling a chain or strap around it nearer the top, and just winching it over to twist it off the other tree its hung up on.
Since its been dead for quite some time, I expect some of the smaller stuff in the top to break loose and let it fall.
Should that NOT work, and its possible it wont, I plan to wait until the field is frozen good, then take the truck around, and use it to pull it backward out of the tree. Once it starts to move, they generally just fall straight down nice and easy, but I have had to pull one quite a ways to get it completely down.
Pulling like that, there is almost no danger, unless someone is dumb enough to be standing near the tree.
You are basically pulling the bottom out of it, assuming you can move it.

Ive seen several guys who will cut those, and while thats a solution for a well practiced arborist, its not something Im going to try. While you can see the lean, there isnt much way to accurately assess the stresses in the tree and know which way its going to go once you cut part of it off at the bottom.
If I cant pull them, Ill leave them.
Ive got one thats hung up darn good in a Hickory. Its going nowhere until it rots out of that tree.

This is one of those things I planned to get pictures of as I progress, so I can maybe post some about it on here.
Now, remembering to actually do that, thats the hard part!

·
Registered
437 Posts
Money well spent in my opinion! That job has "Emergency Room Visit" written all over it.
Without doubt or hesitation. Grab a coffee, have a seat and watch the show unfold in safety.:hornets:
Unless Gizmo2 was there to supervise you, I'd just let it go and live to fight another day.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It was a good show and money well spent. After they got the 2 major leaners down, they started on the one with the big bow in it. He barely got the saw in to it and that was enough to relieve tension and that sucker split up the middle about 15 or 20 feet so that top was almost touching the ground while still attached to the trunk, making a big upside down U. Also, when the leaners came down, the middle tree sprung back and forth and ended up on the wrong side of a good tree. That put it on a direct course to hit the house so they had to get a rope around the top and hang it from the good tree and slowly cut away the base, pretty impressive.

Only some minor damage to the fence (just wire and T post anyway) when one of the crowns landed and exploded branches everywhere. Some branches came real close to nailing a window, good thing the company was L&I.

Now I just need to slice those suckers up and get 'em split so they'll be ready to burn next winter.

·
Registered
437 Posts
:clapping:
That sounds like like it was a good show indeed!

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
Laundry issue?

It was a good show and money well spent. After they got the 2 major leaners down, they started on the one with the big bow in it. He barely got the saw in to it and that was enough to relieve tension and that sucker split up the middle about 15 or 20 feet so that top was almost touching the ground while still attached to the trunk, making a big upside down U. Also, when the leaners came down, the middle tree sprung back and forth and ended up on the wrong side of a good tree. That put it on a direct course to hit the house so they had to get a rope around the top and hang it from the good tree and slowly cut away the base, pretty impressive.

Only some minor damage to the fence (just wire and T post anyway) when one of the crowns landed and exploded branches everywhere. Some branches came real close to nailing a window, good thing the company was L&I.

Now I just need to slice those suckers up and get 'em split so they'll be ready to burn next winter.
Those splits can be deadly and one reason I hate dealing with leaning trees. Did they cutter have a change of clothes handy?

Treefarmer

·
Registered
825 Posts
Buy a few boxes of shells and tannerite. You’ll have those trees down cheap and have fun doing it. I think 1k is too expensive. I’d say 300-500 max to have a professional remove those, in and out in an hour.

- bucket teeth

1 - 11 of 11 Posts