Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are there for tricks to keeping the mower deck on the 'x' 500 series tractors so that it doesn't shut down when going in reverse. I know they claim this to be a safety feature, but I was wondering what others are doing to hold the engagement lever in place so it doesn't pop out when you go in reverse. My only solution so far has been to jam the rubber key chain holder between the lever. This works ok but can be a pain to get set just right. Does anyone have other neat tricks? Thanks!

·
Registered
554 Posts
I'm going around the rio switch, just haven't got to it yet! (do this at your own risk, as the lawyers at JD do not recommend this action):mocking:

·
Premium Member
1,194 Posts
Well I know if you were going to test the circuit you would just jump out (or unplug depending on model) the small switch that is connected up to the reverse pedal linkage.

But thats just testing of course or use in Mexico.

Dont have any ideas on how to get around it though.

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
I had an LA150 for a couple weeks that came with our acerage. It was after about 5 minutes of mowing that I pulled the wires on reverse pedal's micro switch to "test" the mowing in reverse theory. It worked so I quickly hooked it back up and never EVER thought about how nice it was to be able to mow in reverse.... After that pile was sold I picked up a 318 and it didn't have RIO. Now I have a 2012 1026r and it also does not have a RIO. If you ask me, and no one has, the RIO is like wearing a climbing harness to walk down stairs. I'm sure there is a 1 in 1,000,000 chance it might help someONE, but think of the other 999,999 people that have no trouble walking up and down stairs that would have to deal with it being in the way.....

·
Registered
2 Posts
There are videos on YouTube tube about it. The video I saw the guy went throught the back of the pto engagement switch and jumped some wires back there.

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Try this...

Attachments

·
Registered
554 Posts
When I was testing the circut on my X540 I unplugged the plug on the pto switch and put a jumper across the two wires at the bottom of the plug. then plugged it back in. The circut was working fine...:thumbup1gif::laugh::drinks:

·
Registered
54 Posts
Jd 320

I was wondering if anyone else has run into this. My neighbor purchased a new JD 320 last year and was irritated by the seat switch. I told him about what I read about the switch bypass. He asked me to try bypassing it for him. I ran a jumper wire on the plug to the seat switch. So for several months it has worked fine. Then a few weeks ago, my neighbor said he was cleaning his garage and kept hearing a ticking sound. He traced the sound to the tractor. He raised the hood to search for the source and found the engine was hot to the touch. He tried to start it but wouldn't start. So he unplugged the battery and called JD. When the JD dealer came to pick it up, they hooked the battery and it started. However, when putting it into gear it would die. The dealer kept it for a week and found nothing wrong. However, when my neighbor explained that when he would try to start it and put into gear it would die. Apparently the pickup driver neglected to pass that info on. To make a long story short, they claim that the jumper wire was causing the problem. They removed the wire and installed a new switch. My neighbor says the problem hasn't reoccurred. Has anyone else had this issue?

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have a Husqvarna and the igniton switch has a "Mow in reverse" position. My sister-in-law's Troybilt has the same feature. Don't know why other mowers don't have this.

·
Premium Member
1,194 Posts
I was wondering if anyone else has run into this. My neighbor purchased a new JD 320 last year and was irritated by the seat switch. I told him about what I read about the switch bypass. He asked me to try bypassing it for him. I ran a jumper wire on the plug to the seat switch. So for several months it has worked fine. Then a few weeks ago, my neighbor said he was cleaning his garage and kept hearing a ticking sound. He traced the sound to the tractor. He raised the hood to search for the source and found the engine was hot to the touch. He tried to start it but wouldn't start. So he unplugged the battery and called JD. When the JD dealer came to pick it up, they hooked the battery and it started. However, when putting it into gear it would die. The dealer kept it for a week and found nothing wrong. However, when my neighbor explained that when he would try to start it and put into gear it would die. Apparently the pickup driver neglected to pass that info on. To make a long story short, they claim that the jumper wire was causing the problem. They removed the wire and installed a new switch. My neighbor says the problem hasn't reoccurred. Has anyone else had this issue?
I think it's being related to the switch is very unlikely. But I don't have a schematic to verify that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Registered
1 Posts
On my LX280 you just give a quick pull up on the electric PTO switch when going in reverse and it will go all day long (untill you let off the pedal).

sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 using Taptalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have an LX280 and I use a clip clothespin that I put under the yellow PTO switch once I engage it. Can forward/reverse all day without issues. Just ensure that you don't have anyone around while mowing who can get in your path if you reverse mow.

·
Registered
6 Posts
keeping P.T.O engaged while in reverse

I recently purchased a x500 with a 44 inch 2 stage snow blower, when I put the tractor in reverse the P.T.O shuts down, when i called J.D, they said this was a safety issue and nothing can be done. while blowing snow this is quite annoying, does anyone have any suggestions.

·
Super Moderator
5,491 Posts
I recently purchased a x500 with a 44 inch 2 stage snow blower, when I put the tractor in reverse the P.T.O shuts down, when i called J.D, they said this was a safety issue and nothing can be done. while blowing snow this is quite annoying, does anyone have any suggestions.
So as with mowing grass, if you hold down the RIO button, it doesn't stay engaged? If it is the RIO, it can be bypassed, if you desire to do so. You can find quite a few threads if you search for bypassing the RIO.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just measured, cut a piece of wood, and stuck it under the P.T.O switch, and it works great, it no longer shuts the P.T.O off when backing up, however if you get off the machine the P.T.O will shut off

·
Registered
551 Posts
I just measured, cut a piece of wood, and stuck it under the P.T.O switch, and it works great, it no longer shuts the P.T.O off when backing up, however if you get off the machine the P.T.O will shut off
The RIO switch and the seat switch are interlinked; the seat switch overrides everything, kills the engine if you get off the seat. The RIO kills the deck if you try to back up with it going, and also won't allow the engine to start if the switch is engaged when you try to start the tractor, even if you're in the seat. Both are nanny devices, IMO. Rather than a seat switch to kill the engine if you get off, I'd prefer a tilt switch that kills the engine if the machine rolls or flips more than halfway.

·
Registered
100 Posts
The RIO switch and the seat switch are interlinked; the seat switch overrides everything, kills the engine if you get off the seat. The RIO kills the deck if you try to back up with it going, and also won't allow the engine to start if the switch is engaged when you try to start the tractor, even if you're in the seat. Both are nanny devices, IMO. Rather than a seat switch to kill the engine if you get off, I'd prefer a tilt switch that kills the engine if the machine rolls or flips more than halfway.
The RIO switch is ridiculous and serves no purpose in my opinion. Locating a switch on the dash does not help focus my attention to the rear as I backup, it quickly becomes just another annoying and routine task to do. Bypassing it is the first thing I did.

However, the seat switch isn't just for a roll over. It does prevent you from stepping off when you have the mower deck running and also makes you set the brake and/or put the transmission in neutral depending on model. I think it's a good idea and I never bypass it. No matter how you climb off, your feet are placed very close to the business end of the mower deck. If you lost your footing, the tractor creeps or you bumped something as you climb off, having the deck running could result in a really terrible injury.

·
Registered
551 Posts
The RIO switch is ridiculous and serves no purpose in my opinion. Locating a switch on the dash does not help focus my attention to the rear as I backup, it quickly becomes just another annoying and routine task to do. Bypassing it is the first thing I did.

However, the seat switch isn't just for a roll over. It does prevent you from stepping off when you have the mower deck running and also makes you set the brake and/or put the transmission in neutral depending on model. I think it's a good idea and I never bypass it. No matter how you climb off, your feet are placed very close to the business end of the mower deck. If you lost your footing, the tractor creeps or you bumped something as you climb off, having the deck running could result in a really terrible injury.
It's people who get off their mowers with the decks engaged that got us those safety switches in the first place. Pardon me, but who on this forum is that stupid?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts